question... for everyone...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: question... for everyone...

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:Doakball, as I see it anyway, is more of a last minute idea than a game plan that can be worked out. It includes attention to hoofing and spectating at a previously uncharted level and developing a culture of total ambivalence. Opposition know how to overcome it as they know exactly what's coming their way. It remains to be seen if this level of ineptitude can be sustained over a number of seasons with Ulster. >EW
:lol: :lol:
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Doakball, as I see it anyway, is more of a last minute idea than a game plan that can be worked out. It includes attention to hoofing and spectating at a previously uncharted level and developing a culture of total ambivalence. Opposition know how to overcome it as they know exactly what's coming their way. It remains to be seen if this level of ineptitude can be sustained over a number of seasons with Ulster. >EW
:lol: :lol:
If it was player mutiny that outed Anscombe, what are their thoughts of Doak running the ship?

Has our game plan or style of play improved? Are they reflecting that maybe Anscombe was not so bad?

How much input was Muller having to forward drills and tactical play OFF and on the pitch?

Muller Muller Muller......
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rumncoke wrote:It depends on what you define as the job of the coach . It also depends on whether you think he the head coach works in isolation .

I don't see the a uniform development of something you identify as Schmidtball . Munster have reverted to what Munster do best which is an aggressive 10 man game . Leinster are in a rudderless mix of post BoD and development hoping the return of Sexton will bring direction and refocus to a changing and developing back line . Boss Redden and D'Arcy are all due to retire within 24 -36 months Madigan lacks the vision and skills to inspire the back line playing out half

Ulster 's major problem is the reliance on an ageing and or injury prone back row and while having possibly the back line with greatest potential without Ruan and the ablility to successfully gain the necessary field position the back line is a blunt knife .

Ruan has only started two games and both starts have lacked a full fit back row in games influenced by bad weather .

Ulster 's season which looked promising went down hill as injuries to key players mounted week by week , none of the injuries being the sort resulting in a week on the benches all have been the sort resulting in absence for months not a couple of weeks similarly not only have injuries been to key players but to the players you would consider to be their alternatives .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rum

What do you define as the role of head coach, and do you think any of our last few coaches worked in isolation.

Still awaiting your qualifications, I have none, never played rugby other than for the BB in a 7s competition summer of 75 in Colwyn bay, scored a try (and later snogged some fat welsh bird, oh the memories)watched several repeats of Forever Strong and Invictus, along with watching Ballymena if there is a free lunch. Okay Rum go, your turn.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

No9 I have to agree we are missing Muller more than we actually realise, if the dogs on the street are anything to go by he ran the forwards while MA was off taking swimming lessons ...

What I'd give to have his presence and gravitas ... maybe he could see the farsighted results of Doakball and is only interested in a return when Les gets here ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Schmidtball also includes power plays as BoD alluded to

We used one on Sunday. A 4 phase move that results in a try
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Schmidtball for Ireland doesn't seem to be the same thing as Schmidtball was for Leinster.

I thought it was precisely because he doesn't have the same amount of time with the Ireland players that a provincial coach has with his players, the Ireland gameplan needs to be a lot simpler.

So with Leinster, Schmidt could spend an inordinate amount of time on basic skills like passing, and that translated into Leinster's style of play. But with Ireland, perhaps the players from the other provinces weren't at the same level that Leinster were at their peak, and after 2 years of MOC, even the standard of the Leinster players is slipping.

Schmidt doesn't have the time as Ireland coach to get their passing as good as it can be, so his focus is on other basics like defence, set piece, the break down and a simple game when in possession involving a lot of kicking and heavily rehearsed power plays.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

nonplussed wrote:It's all ballix. As a seasoned ST holder I have missed a couple of games this season and not felt that I've missed anything. This is a concern, I can't put my finger on why but it's either the shat fest served up on the pitch week in week out or maybe Ravenhill has lost it's soul somewhere. I will renew basically cos the missus buys me the ST each year so can have the house to herself for 14 nights a year to do whatever/whoever she fancies

But there lies the problem. I agree completely with the sentiment. I have missed a couple of games this year and can't say I care. The games that I have gone too have been soulless - both team display and crowd support. Even at the Toulon game there was a very subdued atmosphere pre match for a European tie.

But like Non I will probably renew my ST next season as a form of habit but also to feel that I am supporting my team.

However this is exactly what Ulster Rugby are anticipating and that's all they're interested in - the bottom line. Fair enough the new ST's may jump ship but the core 5000 or so long-standing supporter will renew more than likely. Until that changes UR won't be that concerned. And that's not even looking at the merchandising sales that are rocketing at the moment.

Don't get me wrong. As a professional organisation UR must look to make a profit. However any successful business will invest in R&D to maintain their success. IN UR terms this R&D is player development/new signings and squad development. In this area UR has catastrophically failed. But until the bottom line is threatened this will not change.
LTHG
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

mikerob wrote:Schmidtball for Ireland doesn't seem to be the same thing as Schmidtball was for Leinster.

I thought it was precisely because he doesn't have the same amount of time with the Ireland players that a provincial coach has with his players, the Ireland gameplan needs to be a lot simpler.

So with Leinster, Schmidt could spend an inordinate amount of time on basic skills like passing, and that translated into Leinster's style of play. But with Ireland, perhaps the players from the other provinces weren't at the same level that Leinster were at their peak, and after 2 years of MOC, even the standard of the Leinster players is slipping.

Schmidt doesn't have the time as Ireland coach to get their passing as good as it can be, so his focus is on other basics like defence, set piece, the break down and a simple game when in possession involving a lot of kicking and heavily rehearsed power plays.

Another factor may be that the current Irish player pool is weaker, relative to the top 5 competitors (NZ-Aus-SA-Eng-Fra), than Leinster were relative to the rest of Europe during their pomp.

I'd like to see - though categorically not at the expense of winning, or the winning margin - more ball in hand play from Ireland in the next Six Nations. Also, with essentially the whole summer of having the Irish squad in camp, along with 3(?) warm-up games I'd say we'll see more - just a little more - of a passing game from Ireland by the time of RWC.

As for Ulster - we are fecked for at least the rest of this season, with the best case scenario being to finish 1st/2nd in the Pro12, and bluff our way out of a hopefully easy pool next season.

The notion of Kiss as DoR, Muller as forwards coach and Doak as backs coach (doing whatever the feck Les says, and not a touch more) excites me. Might be a bit soon for Johann, though.
It's the hope that kills you.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

lovesthehardground wrote:
Don't get me wrong. As a professional organisation UR must look to make a profit. However any successful business will invest in R&D to maintain their success. IN UR terms this R&D is player development/new signings and squad development. In this area UR has catastrophically failed. But until the bottom line is threatened this will not change.
I don't think this is fair, or at least completely fair.

Based on reading here, I get the impression that our academy has improved drastically in the last few years - but, to state the blooming obvious, you won't see that yet or for a few years to come. That is the core plank of UR R&D and people say its happened and good things will come.

I don't think the signings have been as bad as people say, although I also don't think this is the time of year to be judging them. But I think we've got in decent players and the only thing we're hugely missing from the squad that we had last year is Muller's leadership - and I think people need a reality check if they think we can just go sign another leader like Muller. I do wish we'd got in Robin Copeland, we need more big ball carrying options, and I accept people's concerns about openside although I think Reidy will do good enough there. The situation at openside over the last few seasons hasn't been great - lots of chopping, changing and McComishing - but overall, I think we've done pretty well.

The only area where "Catastrophic failure" seems fair is the one you didn't mention - coaching. And concerned as I'm getting about him, Doak's not the biggest failure we've had there... which might be saying something!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

LTHG.... My understanding is that UR need 12,000 to break even so that day may come. Due to the Saracens/ Season Ticket package last year they are riding on the crest of a wave which is dipping slighty. I have noticed more than a few empty seats at some recent matches and whilst we buy up all the beanies for Xmas prezzies I see less a rush for tickets next year.. Ravenhill has lost its soul but then it's Kingspan now.. A 10 year deal that may change if reported conditions are correct that it's dependant on performance on the pitch and playing at the top table of Europe.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

BuckRogers wrote:Due to its low risk and precise nature it is very hard to counteract.
Genuine question, and I may have misunderstood the inference above, but is it fair to Leinster under Schmitd to box them as low risk?
BuckRogers wrote:The focus on doing the basics to an exceptionally high level means that the emphasis moves onto the opponents to be better than you at this. The only people capable of this consistently? ABs and Boks and of course a team putting in an exceptional performance.

I'd love to see ulster adopt it tbh but I don't think our coaches are good enough to implement it.
I read a quote from Mike Gibson once, something along the lines of "the great players are those that do the basics the best, kick the best pass the best, tackle the best, step the best, run the best... because everything else comes from the basics". Surely the point about Schmitd's focus on the basics is not that it limits you to basic (low risk) play, but rather the opposite, it gives you the armory to construct great attacking play?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cockatrice wrote:LTHG.... My understanding is that UR need 12,000 to break even so that day may come. Due to the Saracens/ Season Ticket package last year they are riding on the crest of a wave which is dipping slighty. I have noticed more than a few empty seats at some recent matches and whilst we buy up all the beanies for Xmas prezzies I see less a rush for tickets next year.. Ravenhill has lost its soul but then it's Kingspan now.. A 10 year deal that may change if reported conditions are correct that it's dependant on performance on the pitch and playing at the top table of Europe.
CT to quote the main man, we need an average gate of 9K per game to be in profit, his words not mine
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:LTHG.... My understanding is that UR need 12,000 to break even so that day may come. Due to the Saracens/ Season Ticket package last year they are riding on the crest of a wave which is dipping slighty. I have noticed more than a few empty seats at some recent matches and whilst we buy up all the beanies for Xmas prezzies I see less a rush for tickets next year.. Ravenhill has lost its soul but then it's Kingspan now.. A 10 year deal that may change if reported conditions are correct that it's dependant on performance on the pitch and playing at the top table of Europe.
Are you starting to make stuff up now too CT? Or just giving it another :stir: ?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

To those sleighing our non marquee signings, can I politely remind you of the days of brad free, riaz fredericks, grant Henderson, mike maguire, spencer Bromley and Mark crick !

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Are you starting to make stuff up now too CT? Or just giving it another :stir: ?
Well the deal is 10 years but can be renegotiated after 5 I think was the original, clauses on number of matches etc are bound to be somewhere in the full details since the PRO12 was in a bit of turmoil when it was negotiated
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best