2015/16 - Captain

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 2015/16 - Captain

Post by Snipe Watson »

sssssss wrote:I am an outsider but just one question from an outsiders point of view what's wrong with Rory Best gives his all and plays for the shirt .
I have a couple of point on this one may be slightly controversial.

Rory was trying to follow the finest leader of Ulstermen since Willie John McBride so he was on a hiding to nothing there.

I feel that Rory gets so into the game and focussed on playing that he forgets to captain the side.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

sssssss wrote:I am an outsider but just one question from an outsiders point of view what's wrong with Rory Best gives his all and plays for the shirt .
I think Rory has definitely grown more into the role as the season as progressed but he's no Muller.

That's no slight on Rory though as he's an Ulsterman through and through, I just think the Captaincy might have come too late for him, he's still learning tbh.

I agree that Franco should get the gig next season but imagine like others, it will be a dual thing. I can't see Rory letting the Captaincy go tbh.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

big mervyn wrote:RWC and 6N.

Has to be Franco or Roger.
If, Roger is still with Ulster
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dave Ryan , for me
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Dave Ryan , for me
Say it ain't so Kofi, tell me he's leaving or already left. >ESAD
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
sssssss
Novice

Post by sssssss »

Snipe
Willie John McBrides only come round once in a while , and all though Best is not that he is a good captain think Baggy is right though due to 6 nations maybe another captain with him as vice as he gives so much to the shirt.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

sssssss wrote:Snipe
Willie John McBrides only come round once in a while , and all though Best is not that he is a good captain think Baggy is right though due to 6 nations maybe another captain with him as vice as he gives so much to the shirt.
To use WJB and Rory Best in the same sentence is just poor.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Ain't so, just being an imp. I like Dave, he has a big belly and wobbles like jelly.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Ain't so, just being an imp. I like Dave, he has a big belly and wobbles like jelly.
But he's never on Telly.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Snipe Watson wrote: I feel that Rory gets so into the game and focussed on playing that he forgets to captain the side.
+1 Snipe.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

My point was that Johann Muller was the best captain since Willie John. Nobody compares to him, he was a unique individual the kind of leader that comes around once in a lifetime.
sssssss
Novice

Post by sssssss »

Maybe Best is one of those players being captain detracts from his game so there's the problem back to who again
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

sssssss wrote:Maybe Best is one of those players being captain detracts from his game so there's the problem back to who again
It's the other way around, in that his focus on his own performance detracts from his captaincy.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
My point was that Johann Muller was the best captain since Willie John. Nobody compares to him, he was a unique individual the kind of leader that comes around once in a lifetime.
Davy Irwin was a crackin' skipper, leading by example & gowling a lot, perhaps the greatest enthusiast of all time, & Big Willie wasn't bad either when not languishing in an Argie jail.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Second rows tend to make the best on field Captains . Most referees have to look up to them and therefore tend to respect and listen to them .
Front row and back row forwards tend to become too focused on their own tasks and problems to recognise the collective focus required in different situations . Backs on the other hand seldom have the experience to advise forwards how to alter their game when problems arise .

As the public team face Rory does an excellent job -- as a player to inspire effort by example he has few equals --but the task of Capt on the pitch is to
define approach and ensuring players maintain a collective focus .
He must be communicating to players collectively and when necessary individually how to improve performance to suit the game .
I am not sure Rory can fulfil the latter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist