What the Papers Say 2015/2016

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

What the Papers Say 2015/2016

Post by Mac »

Monday 1st June 2015

Following Ulster is getting to be like this poor individual...... one needs to
be an eternal optimist. The press release tells us there are least 9,000 sth
already, for most of us there is no opt out clause. After 3 or 4 seasons of bad
luck lets hope for a change in our fortune. However preparation is a component
part of good luck. Here's hoping for a quiet closed season for a change. It would
be a good foundation.......
>EW

MORE "GOOD NEWS" WHEN IT APPEARS......................... :thumleft:
Last edited by Mac on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 130 times in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016

Post by Cornerfleg »

S.S.D.D!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 4th June 2015

The42′s Irish exiles team of the 2014/15 season
These were the Irishmen who had outstanding seasons in England, France, Scotland and Italy.
THE42 HAS BEEN keeping track of the efforts of the Irish players based abroad over the course of the recent seasons, and with that in mind we’ve selected our team of the 2014/15 campaign.

It proved a difficult task with many players excelling, but here’s the final XV and replacements bench we came up with. There were many more we’d have loved to mention of course, and we will again keep an eye on the Irish exiles next season.

15. Sean Scanlon (Rotherham Titans)

14. Ian Whitten (Exeter Chiefs)
Whitten scored three Premiership tries this season Inpho
Exeter were one of the biggest stories of the Premiership season as their highly-attractive brand of rugby under Rob Baster brought them to within a whisker of the play-offs, and Whitten was an important part of that push.

The Ulsterman played no less than 30 times across all competitions for Exeter over the course of the campaign, starring on the wing in the league and swapping into the centre for the Challenge Cup. The 27-year-old hasn’t looked back since leaving Ulster in 2012.

13. Chris Farrell (Grenoble)
It would have been easy for Farrell to sit in the Ulster squad and wait for his chance behind a handful of Ireland internationals this season, but he instead opted to join Bernard Jackman, Mike Prendergast, James Hart and Denis Coulson in Grenoble.

21 appearances in the Top 14 later, the ex-Ireland U20 international’s decision has been totally justified. Grenoble have been delighted with Farrell’s impact at 13 and the powerful, skillful centre looks destined for great things.

12. Ian McKinley (Viadana)

11. Conor Gaston (Aurillac)
Former Ulster wing Conor Gaston was excellent for Aurillac Inpho
Picking a second wing was no easy task as Michael Keating also had a superb campaign for Rotherham Titans, but former Ulster and London Irish flyer Gaston gets the nod on account of his seven tries in the Pro D2.

The 24-year-old has adapted to head coach Jeremy Davidson’s ambitious style of rugby and was ever present as low-budget Aurillac very nearly completed the miraculous by earning a play-off spot in the French second tier.

10. Peter Lydon (London Scottish)

1. Tom Court (London Irish)
Inpho
While London Irish’s poor season in the Premiership saw the team changing frequently, 32-times capped Ireland prop Court was a constant feature. The 34-year-old started all but one of the Exiles’ league fixtures.

His scrummaging ability on the loosehead was a vital element of stability for London Irish, while Court also managed to grab two league tries. Will look forward to progress under Tom Coventry next season as a host of new faces join the club.

2. Niall Annett (Worcester)
Inpho
Annett’s promotion with Worcester swells the ranks of Irishmen in England’s top tier, with the former Ireland U20 captain having played an important part.

The 24-year-old hooker enjoyed a battle with Agustín Creevy for the number two shirt under Dean Ryan, even managing to keep the Pumas captain out of the team for periods. Played off the bench in both legs of the Championship play-off final win over Bristol and will only improve again in the Premiership.

3. Conor Carey (Nottingham)
Carey in Ulster Ravens colours in 2012 D Kidd
Nottingham came up just short in their bid for the Championship play-offs as they finished fifth, but Carey can look back on a strong season at tighthead.

The ex-Ireland Schools, U19 and U20 international moved from Ealing Trailfinders last summer and his transfer has proved a wise one. Game time is not easy to come by for 23-year-old props, but Carey has demonstrated his scrummaging promise and ball-carrying ability.

4. Mark Flanagan (Mont-de-Marsan)

5. Darren O’Shea (Worcester)

6. Neil Best (London Scottish)
Best in his Ireland days Inpho
The 36-year-old kept his aggression levels high as London Scottish powered into the play-offs, starting both of the semi-final clashes against Worcester alongside Lydon.

Played in the 6 and 7 shirts at different points in the season, but brought the same big-hitting approach that made him an Ireland international in the past. Has made a nice career for himself in England since leaving Ulster in 2008.

7. Ali Birch (Rotherham Titans)
Birch was an important part of the Titans' season Inpho
Another man who featured in the Championship semi-finals as Rotherham came up short against Bristol, the openside flanker featured in 23 games overall this season.

The 26-year-old previously spent three years with native province Ulster but never got the opportunities for an extended run in the first team. Given that chance in England since 2013, Birch has shown his quality.

8. James Coughlan (Pau)

Replacements:

16. George McGuigan (Newcastle)

17. Jack O’Connell (Bristol)

18. John Andress (Edinburgh)
Andress carries for Alan Solomons' side Inpho
After six years in England, the Ulsterman took his front-row skills to Edinburgh and made 19 appearances in the Guinness Pro12.

19. Jerry Sexton (Exeter Chiefs)

20. Eoghan Grace (Plymouth Albion)/ Willie Ryan (Rotherham)

21. Paul Rowley (London Welsh) :red:
While London Welsh’s season was disastrous, Rowley made the best of his 10 Premiership appearances and secured a move to Ulster.

22. Gareth Steenson (Exeter Chiefs)

Another man who played a vital role in the Chiefs’ brilliant Premiership season from the 10 shirt. Mention too for Rotherham’s James McKinney, cruelly injured before the play-offs.

23. Niall Morris (Leicester Tigers)
http://www.the42.ie/ireland-exiles-iris ... 3-Jun2015/

Alex Thompson – a young Ulsterman making his mark on the world stage
Ireland got off to a winning start at the Junior World Championship – beating Argentina by 18 points to 16 in their first match of the tournament. Five Ulster players started the game – Sam Arnold, Jacob Stockdale, Alex Thompson, Lorcan Dow and Zack McCall. We caught up with ex Methodist College second row and Hughes Insurance Ulster Academy player, Alex Thompson, on the game against Argentina, on playing for Ireland on the world stage and his aims for the tournament:

“To get off to a victory means that we already have a winning mentality and we have that bit of momentum going into the rest of the matches,” says Alex. “We had a bit of a disappointing 6 Nations, so for that to happen to last night (Tuesday) gives us the confidence to know that we have quality in the starting XV and also on the bench to see out a game like that. To get a win is crucial if we are to stand a chance of winning this world cup.”

Alex believes that the team have a belief that they can have a successful tournament:

“Right through the 23 everyone has a confidence in the team and everyone has a real desire and want to go all the way,” he says. “We are not happy to just be third or fourth, we want to go the distance and win the trophy.

“Everyone is buying into it. It comes down to units, so there is a need for everyone to know their role and then everything else falls into place. We know what we have to work on. Having reviewed the game, it really is very small margins at this level and small mistakes that could have opened up that match (the Argentina game) for us. The opportunities were there but we just need to take them and make that last pass, or make that last push,” adds the 19 year old.

So how will Ireland approach their remaining pool matches, against Scotland and the All Blacks?

“You take it match by match,” Alex says. “Argentina were very physical and they had a great offloading game. We just have to take it a step at a time. It’s bigger again than the 6 Nations but you are still focused and you have to give your all in every game.

“To think back three years ago when I was considering leaving my old school – Banbridge Academy and going down the rugby path. Then I thought that winning the schools’ cup was the be all and end all, but to be in this position is just incredible. When I look back at where I have come from, it just drives me on and makes me count my blessings and to work as hard as I can to get the best out of this tournament.”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... stage.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016 The Export Market......

Post by Mac »

Thursday 4th June 2015

PART II

Doak looks ahead to 2015/16 season
Ulster Head Coach, Neil Doak, reviews key elements of the past season and looks ahead to 2015/16...

JONNY BELL

"If you look at our defence over the last few years it's been pretty solid. He's been a credit to us and a key aspect of the success we've had over the last number of seasons. He's grown as a coach over the years and I wish him well at Gloucester."

PRO12 PLAY-OFF DEFEAT TO GLASGOW

"I thought we outplayed them. We had played pretty well in the first half and were unfortunate to go into half time only 8-6 up. We didn't execute well enough in those 20 minutes after the break and I think that was our downfall. If you look back over the game there were unfortunately some crucial decisions that didn't go our way and some ill-discipline, so the loss was down to a combination of factors.

"But Glasgow are a good side and finished top of table during the season. We've got to move on and learn from certain things this year and take it into next season."

DISCIPLINE

"I think our discipline on the pitch has been poor. We work so hard to get into certain positions to gain points and I just felt at times we've been silly. It’s human nature - you're under pressure and the decision making aspect just doesn't work as effectively as it should. That's got to change for us next year. Ultimately, it has cost us a few games and it's cost us a place in the final."

DISAPPOINTING WIN RECORD IN KNOCK-OUT GAMES

"It's been a pretty frustrating time. But look, there are probably eight other PRO12 coaches who would be glad to swap places. The success that we've had, albeit without any trophies, has been built on good foundations and we've just got to try to make sure that we learn.

"I suppose that is the pressure of high level rugby, sometimes skill sets, the break down and decision making processes get a little bit muddled in the heat of battle. You would have thought that with the players available to us and playing for us that had that experience but you can see that nerves and pressures get to everyone. The expectation on Ulster is high."

POSITIVES TAKEN FROM LAST SEASON

"Young players like Paddy Jackson, Iain Henderson and Craig Gilroy have really confirmed themselves as top class performers. I think they finished the season really well. The new players who arrived at the start of the season, like Wiehahn [Herbst], Franco [van der Merwe] and Louis [Ludik], did well for us too.

"We scored a lot more tries this season than we have in previous years, which is pleasing for me as an Attack Coach."

CHALLENGES OF BEING A HEAD COACH

"In the past I was looking after a certain aspect of the team (attack) and primarily focusing on that, while now I've got to focus on other areas as well so there has definitely been an increase in workload. The planning and the communication to the rest of the coaches and staff and trying to pull all that together that has been the big learning curve for me."

DEVELOPING PLAYERS

"You've got to remember that we're not like an open team who can buy any players they want. Within Irish rugby in general, the structures are pretty good so there are always going to be parameters that the provincial sides are working within. We've got to look at our local talent feeding through our Academy system and developing our Irish-qualified players.

"We're a feeder system into the national team and I think in the last couple of seasons with the provincial teams doing reasonably, it has been reflected in success at national level. Hopefully that will continue and lead to a successful World Cup campaign.

"We've always talked about having two international standard teams within the Ulster squad, but that doesn't happen overnight it takes an awful lot of work and development."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... eason.aspx
Image Image
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016 Doakie's Crystal Ball

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sadly Doakie hasn't grasped all the pointers I gave him on our thread.

Appears to have missed that a good home record should be a fundamental and not just the aim. No mention of our shocking away stats.

#moreofthesame

Harrumph.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016 Doakie's Crystal Ball

Post by Mac »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Sadly Doakie hasn't grasped all the pointers I gave him on our thread.

Appears to have missed that a good home record should be a fundamental and not just the aim. No mention of our shocking away stats.

#moreofthesame

Harrumph.
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 8th June 2015

Ulster Rugby chiefs use harris hawk to scare off pigeons threatening new pitch
Bird of prey chasing pigeons away from Kingspan ground before they eat grass seed
Shadow the harris hawk is stopping the pigeons eating newly laid grass seed at Ulster Rugby's Kingspan Stadium
Ulster Rugby chiefs are using one of nature’s top predators to get rid of pigeons threatening the pitch at their Kingspan Stadium.

Shadow, a 12-year-old harris hawk, is “scaring” off the flying pests to stop them eating grass seed laid to improve the ground as well as nesting in the rafters and making a mess.

The bird of prey has been flying around the Ravenhill facility for several days letting local pigeons this is not the spot to settle down.

Neil Brittain, communications manager at Ulster Rugby, said the hawk is a “pretty effective” way of keeping the pigeons at bay.

He added: “It flies about and scares the pigeons basically. It doesn’t kill them or eat them it just lets them know it’s about and that seems to be enough to stop them nesting in the rafters. As well as the obvious mess if they were nesting in the stadium, there’s grass seed that’s just been laid for the pitch to be in great condition in time for the season.

“As you can imagine, the pigeons are loving all this grass seed, so we had to do something to warn them off so they don’t eat it all. It’s completely humane.”

The female hawk is owned by Stephen Devlin, whose firm Gull Clear, keep pigeons out of public buildings including shopping centres and schools.

He says Shadow just chases the pigeons away.

He added: “You fly the bird around the place once or twice a week and the pigeons think there’s a bird of prey feeding in here, or nesting in here so they’re not too keen on coming back.”

Harris hawks are known for their intelligence meaning they are easier to train and therefore popular for use in falconry.
http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfa ... is-9413362

Zack McCall: Confidence is high ahead of New Zealand clash
Ireland U20s made it two from two in the World Rugby Championship when they beat Scotland by 24 points to 20 on Saturday. Ulster hooker, Zack McCall, played a major part in both matches, starting the first game against Argentina and coming on as a replacement against the Scots. Up next for Ireland is a pool decider against New Zealand, a seemingly daunting task - but McCall and the rest of the team are approaching the game full of confidence:

“We definitely had a point to prove against Scotland,” he says. “We concentrated on our set piece a bit more as that was one of our weaknesses against them in the 6 Nations. We fronted up well and our backs took care of the scoring. We got that good win against Scotland and the momentum is building well towards New Zealand.

“It would definitely be something for the history books to be one of the first Irish teams to beat New Zealand, but at the end of the day they are just another team. England has won this tournament a few times and we came close to beating them in the 6 Nations. It’s just the small margins that it comes down to. If we get our one per-centers right we could do very well against them.”

Despite being part of a team that has 100% record in the tournament, McCall believes there is more to come from him in a green jersey:

“I still don’t think that I have shown my best yet,” says the 20 year old. “I am constantly trying to push myself to do my best on the pitch. It’s going well. I am just delighted to be getting my first taste of international rugby. It’s a great experience and a great learning curve as well. The selection could go either way. It’s just important that we come together as a group – not just the 23 but the whole 28 that are here.

“At the start of the tournament we said that every game is a cup final. If we are going to do it then we have to win all our games. We can’t go into the New Zealand game looking to be the best runner up. We have to go in wanting to really win the tournament. If we can get a result against New Zealand then I think we can take on anybody after that.”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... lash-.aspx

Ulster to host Leinster in pre-season friendly
Rugby will return to Kingspan Stadium on Friday 21st August when Ulster host Leinster in a pre-season friendly (kick off 19:30).

Both teams will use the match to prepare for the new Guinness PRO12 season, which kicks off on the weekend of 4th September and the game is sure to see a mix of familiar faces and up-and-coming stars.

Last year the two provinces played a pre-season game in Tallaght Stadium with Ulster getting the narrow win by 10 points to 7.

The game is included as part of the 2015/16 season ticket package.

Almost 10,000 fans have already bought a season ticket for the upcoming campaign. To find out more information on Ulster Rugby season tickets and to check availability please click here.

Tickets will go on general sale, online only from 10am Wednesday 10th June and will be available by phone and over the counter from the Ulster Rugby Ticket Office from Monday 22nd June.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... ndly-.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 9th June 2015

Six Ulster players in Ireland U20s side to face New Zealand
Jacob Stockade and Jack Owens start for Ireland U20s
Sam Arnold, Jacob Stockdale, Jack Owens, Zack McCall, Alex Thompson and Lorcan Dow have all been named in the Ireland U20 starting XV for tomorrow’s World U20 Championship match against New Zealand, (kick-off 8.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time, live on TG4).

Coach Nigel Carolan has made four changes to the side that overcame Scotland 24-20 in the last round of the competition.

Owens makes his first appearance of the tournament on the wing to partner Stockdale who returns to the starting XV.

Up front, McCall returns to the front row and Rory Moloney takes up a position in the back row.

Speaking ahead of the test Carolan said, "This is a big game for both sides, the winner of this will have a guaranteed place in the semi-finals.”

"New Zealand are a good team, so we will need to be brilliant for the full 80 minutes to give ourselves a chance.”

"However, in preparation for a tough battle we have recovered well from our last outing and have identified some key areas which we hope we can take advantage of."

Ireland Under-20 (v New Zealand Under-20s, 2015 World Rugby Under-20 Championship - Pool C, Viadana, Wednesday 10th June, kick-off 8.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time)

15. Billy Dardis (UCD/Leinster)
14. Jack Owens (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)
13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)
12. Sam Arnold (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
11. Jacob Stockdale (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)
10. Joey Carbery (UCD/Leinster)
9. Nick McCarthy (UCD/Leinster) (Capt)

1. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
2. Zack McCall (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)
3. Oisin Heffernan (Terenure College/Leinster)
4. David O'Connor (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
5. Alex Thompson (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)
6. Josh Murphy (UCD/Leinster)
7. Rory Moloney (Buccaneers/ Connacht)
8. Lorcan Dow (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)

Replacements

16. Sean McNulty (UCD/Leinster)
17. Liam O'Connor (Cork Constitution /Munster)
18. Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/NUIG/Connacht)
19. Cian Romaine (Buccaneers/ Connacht)
20. Stephen McVeigh (Buccaneers/ Connacht)
21. Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
22. Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
23. Fergal Cleary (Lansdowne/ Leinster)

Ireland Fixtures and Results
Ireland Under-20 18 v 16 Argentina Under-20, Parma, Tuesday, June 2, kick-off 4.30pm local time/3.30pm Irish time
Ireland Under-20 24 v 20 Scotland Under-20, Calvisano, Saturday, June 6, kick-off 4.30pm local time/3.30pm Irish time
New Zealand Under-20 v Ireland Under-20, Viadana, Wednesday, June 10, kick-off 8.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time

Match Day 4: Play-offs and semi-finals, Monday, June 15
Match Day 5: Play-offs and final, Saturday, June 20
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... aland.aspx

:shock:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 87526.html >jawdrop
Last edited by Mac on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Can the hawk play 13?
It's the hope that kills you.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Can the hawk play 13?
No but he is first class taking high balls in the air
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Rooster wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Can the hawk play 13?
No but he is first class taking high balls in the air
>appl
It's the hope that kills you.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

#justiceforpigeons
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I see Wimbledon are getting on our anti pigeon pro hawk bandwagon

#logantrendsetter
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shotgun is pretty good deterrent as well for both pigeons and hawks!
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 10th June 2015 :sleeping:

Kyle McCall knows one more win can throw doors wide open for young Ireland
Ulster and Ireland Under-20 hooker, Kyle McCall, knows a win for the young greens in Italy against New Zealand tonight can open the doors to glory for the side.

Ireland must defeat the Baby Blacks as the sides meet in what is the Pool C decider.

Both teams have beaten Argentina and Scotland, but the Kiwis head the group by two points having picked up bonus points in their wins.

However, with the top two sides in the other pools also going head-to-head Ireland must win if they are to secure either third or fourth place in the seedings for the classification matches.

McCall said: “We came into the tournament looking to win it and we knew every game would be like a cup final.

“If we can beat New Zealand then we can take on anyone after that.”

New Zealand were once the dominant force at this age-group, winning the title four years in a row before South Africa knocked them off their perch.

In the past two seasons, England have emerged as the new champions and the fact they have beaten New Zealand in the past is something McCall points to.

“We have to treat them just like any team we come up against,” said the Ballynahnich lad..

“If we can get the small margins right then the game is there for the taking.

“We have two wins already and we have built some momentum, it is just about making sure we are full focused on the challenge in front of us now.”

Ireland coach, Nigel Carolan, who made four changes to the side which defeated Scotland 24-20, said his young greens faced a tough test.

“They will need to be brilliant for the full 80 minutes to give themselves a chance of beating New Zealand.”

His counterpart, Scott Robertson, said his team were not taking anything for granted.

“A do or die quarter-final against Ireland waits for us, so winner takes all. Our focus is to finish on top with the best for and against record. There are only six points between the top three teams at the moment, including us!”

IRELAND (starting XV): Billy Dardis (UCD/Leinster); Jack Owens (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster), Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster), Sam Arnold (Ballynahinch/Ulster), Jacob Stockdale (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster); Joey Carbery (UCD/Leinster), Nick McCarthy (UCD/Leinster) (Capt); Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster), Zack McCall (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster), Oisin Heffernan (Terenure College/Leinster), David O’Connor (St. Mary’s College/Leinster), Alex Thompson (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster), Josh Murphy (UCD/Leinster), Rory Moloney (Buccaneers/ Connacht), Lorcan Dow (Queen’s University.Belfast/Ulster)

Replacements Sean McNulty (UCD/Leinster) Liam O’Connor (Cork Constitution /Munster)Conan O’Donnell (Sligo/NUIG/Connacht) Cian Romaine (Buccaneers/ Connacht)Stephen McVeigh (Buccaneers/ Connacht)Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere/Leinster)Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution/Munster)Fergal Cleary (Lansdowne/ Leinster)
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6789108
Image Image