World Cup News

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Re: World Cup News

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

I find it amusing that Nuciforia is the boss. Don't recall him being too highly thought of in Australia.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Upt'nawth Chaverell does appear to wield an unhealthy amount of power within the coaching set up for an assistant, but I don't think there is too much doubt that it was Lancaster himself who pressed for Burgess and brought him straight in and tied his own colours to the mast marked "Burgess".

Good man Clive all things considered.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Don't forget Woodward has a axe to grind. He's hanging around for years waiting for his chance and now he's enjoying it.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

And Russ is spot on. This has PRL fingerprints all over it. They chased him. They negotiated his transfer. They went running to the RFU for money.

I think there are a few scores being settled right now. Lancasters hollier than thou attitude has pushed a lot of noses out of joint within various circles.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Upt'nawth Chaverell does appear to wield an unhealthy amount of power within the coaching set up for an assistant,
Almost total - is what I heard. Lancaster may have like Operation Burgess, but AF must have agreed.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:Don't forget Woodward has a axe to grind. He's hanging around for years waiting for his chance and now he's enjoying it.
Yes. Woodward is a self-promoting egotist and yesterday's man. No matter that he's probably right in this case. Everybody and his dog are having a potshot at Lancaster/the England setup, but that's OK since they totally deserve it, and have completely fekked up everything possible including leadership, selection, tactics etc......
Don't know why England is wasting time on a review - the whole shebang should have been chopped the moment England failed to qualify for the quarters.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Upt'nawth Chaverell does appear to wield an unhealthy amount of power within the coaching set up for an assistant, but I don't think there is too much doubt that it was Lancaster himself who pressed for Burgess and brought him straight in and tied his own colours to the mast marked "Burgess".

I heard it said that the eRFU demanded that Burgess was fast tracked into the RWC squad. They had invested in him and wanted to see something for their money.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Upt'nawth Chaverell does appear to wield an unhealthy amount of power within the coaching set up for an assistant, but I don't think there is too much doubt that it was Lancaster himself who pressed for Burgess and brought him straight in and tied his own colours to the mast marked "Burgess".

I heard it said that the eRFU demanded that Burgess was fast tracked into the RWC squad. They had invested in him and wanted to see something for their money.
Sounds like Payne and the iRFU
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Austin Healey claims that the best way for the RFU to make England competitive with the southern hemisphere sides is to buy a Super Rugby franchise :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ruckover wrote:Austin Healey claims that the best way for the RFU to make England competitive with the southern hemisphere sides is to buy a Super Rugby franchise :roll:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So let the PRL ruin other forms of rugby too

BT sport twunting mouthpiece
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Firstly the thing I find most ironic about Burgess is the fact that England overlooked some superior French based talent as they would be disruptive, with the next breath yet they jettisoned a man in who hadn`t even played the same sport.

League to Union converts are a mixed bag but generally the ones that fair best are the ones blessed with pace and play in the back 3 as they are less technical positions with more room to operate.
The general exception to this I can think of is Sonny Bill who it would seem is enough of an all rounder to turn out for the Royal Ballet company if he so wished and Brad Thorn who is simply a beast.

It should be noted that the two afore mentioned New Zealanders took two years to break into the All Black team despite their reputations in league.
It should be further noted that both returned to league before coming back once again to union.

Burgess had the talent to be a success but was handled badly and should have been seen as a 4 year project and not a quick fix.
For me I actually think he didn`t do that much wrong all things considered and the blame for Englands woes lie further up the pecking order.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Firstly the thing I find most ironic about Burgess is the fact that England overlooked some superior French based talent as they would be disruptive, with the next breath yet they jettisoned a man in who hadn`t even played the same sport.

League to Union converts are a mixed bag but generally the ones that fair best are the ones blessed with pace and play in the back 3 as they are less technical positions with more room to operate.
The general exception to this I can think of is Sonny Bill who it would seem is enough of an all rounder to turn out for the Royal Ballet company if he so wished and Brad Thorn who is simply a beast.

It should be noted that the two afore mentioned New Zealanders took two years to break into the All Black team despite their reputations in league.
It should be further noted that both returned to league before coming back once again to union.

Burgess had the talent to be a success but was handled badly and should have been seen as a 4 year project and not a quick fix.
For me I actually think he didn`t do that much wrong all things considered and the blame for Englands woes lie further up the pecking order.
I'm with you Jizzbeg you will be relieved to hear but I have two small matters.

SBW has up to now been only a sub in the big games with Nonu & Smith starters, so that emphasises your point even more, much as I believe SBW to be massively talented and a guaranteed main man in the next slap of years.

As for "jettisoned", I believe it was the direct opposite. >EW

Anyway, good job Jizz, and yes Brad Thorn was colossally good. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Agreed all round, to think a league convert could be to the manor born as an international rugby centre was fantasy. Shame as he could have done a very good job in what was a shyte English back row crying out for some physicality and athleticism.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BuckRogers wrote:Agreed all round, to think a league convert could be to the manor born as an international rugby centre was fantasy. Shame as he could have done a very good job in what was a shyte English back row crying out for some physicality and athleticism.
Have to be a pedant here.... I've seen this phrase used a few times recently and it has been annoying me. It should be "To the manner born" - seemingly born already accustomed to doing something in a particular way. "To the manor born" is a neat play on the original phrase dreamed up for a BBC TV series about someone who bought a Manor House. :banghead:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

pwrmoore wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Agreed all round, to think a league convert could be to the manor born as an international rugby centre was fantasy. Shame as he could have done a very good job in what was a shyte English back row crying out for some physicality and athleticism.
Have to be a pedant here.... I've seen this phrase used a few times recently and it has been annoying me. It should be "To the manner born" - seemingly born already accustomed to doing something in a particular way. "To the manor born" is a neat play on the original phrase dreamed up for a BBC TV series about someone who bought a Manor House. :banghead:
Literary fact of the day, the original phrase is from Hamlet:
But to my mind, though I am native here
And to the manner born, it is a custom
More honor'd in the breach than the observance