Six Nations week 2

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Six Nations week 2

Post by bazzaj »

Look as I see Joe he came in and maximised the potential of a limited side as he had little to work with with the demise/retirement of Darce and BOD in particular and did well to win the 2 championships.
I thought he steadied the ship well in those legends absence with Henshaw and Payne in midfield and got unlucky in the world cup with injuries and unavailablity to 5 of our key players before the qfs.
He played limited and consevative because in reality that was the hand he was dealt.

However in the wake of the world cup there has been the emergence of some real talent which has been completely ignored to date.
It isn`t too late to redeem himself and I just hope that between now and the end of the 6 nations he can see what everyone else can.
However with the likes of the Kearneys, Reddan, McFadden and Earls still around the squad over the exciting young backs talent available, the signs aren`t good.

Pick the likes of Ringrose/Olding/Gilroy/ PJ/BIG Mc/ Marshall of the Luke variety and its a total opportunity to abandon the conservative nature of his game plan and start playing some rugby that can win and entertain at the same time.
We have seen with Clermont and Leinster that he is capable of formulating such a plan which is the frustration.
Also thats the basis for a side that can carry us through to the next world cup.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Well Italy gave it a good go for the first half but ultimately they could not live with the vastly superior power, pace, fitness and skill of the England team. This England team can only get better as the memories of the disaster RWC fade match by match.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:Well Italy gave it a good go for the first half but ultimately they could not live with the vastly superior power, pace, fitness and skill of the England team. This England team can only get better as the memories of the disaster RWC fade match by match.
I can see your team lifting the championship this year probably with a slam.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Average age of the Ireland team versus France was 29 according to the usually reliable BBC website :duck:

That's the reality sinking in.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

England were damn good with ball in hand and quick ball

Their backrow was insane when Haskell and Robshaw were replaced
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Are there people still actually watching this shyte?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cornerfleg wrote:Are there people still actually watching this shyte?
Mrs is english
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

bazzaj wrote:Look as I see Joe he came in and maximised the potential of a limited side as he had little to work with with the demise/retirement of Darce and BOD in particular and did well to win the 2 championships.
I thought he steadied the ship well in those legends absence with Henshaw and Payne in midfield and got unlucky in the world cup with injuries and unavailablity to 5 of our key players before the qfs.
He played limited and consevative because in reality that was the hand he was dealt.

However in the wake of the world cup there has been the emergence of some real talent which has been completely ignored to date.
It isn`t too late to redeem himself and I just hope that between now and the end of the 6 nations he can see what everyone else can.
However with the likes of the Kearneys, Reddan, McFadden and Earls still around the squad over the exciting young backs talent available, the signs aren`t good.

Pick the likes of Ringrose/Olding/Gilroy/ PJ/BIG Mc/ Marshall of the Luke variety and its a total opportunity to abandon the conservative nature of his game plan and start playing some rugby that can win and entertain at the same time.
We have seen with Clermont and Leinster that he is capable of formulating such a plan which is the frustration.
Also thats the basis for a side that can carry us through to the next world cup.
To be fair to Joe, of the ones you mention Olding and Luke have been injured or returning from injury until fairly recently. If they put together a run of games, they'll hopefully be in contention for a place in the Ireland team. Big Stuart deserves a chance and I think he'll get it in the games against Italy and Scotland. Gilroy is fantastic with ball in hand but I'm not sure if his defensive game is up to international standards. I haven't seen enough of Ringrose to comment. Paddy is a better outhalf than Maidigan, in my view, but Madigan gets the nod because he offers more in other positions. Can't really fault a coach for wanting to keep his options open.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Average age of the Ireland team versus France was 29 according to the usually reliable BBC website :duck:

That's the reality sinking in.
That was definitely a problem. Ireland were way too inexperienced and failed to match our usual quota oif 35 y.o.s. Reddan should have started in Fatty Ross's absence.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

What the blue feck does Madigan offer in other positions?

He never plays 12
He's never played 13 at any standard
His game at 15 is nonexistent
He can't play 9 no matter how much Thornley says he can
He hasn't the pace for a wing

So he's a 10 and a brad pitt one at that

PJ has proven that he is a game winning 10 on numerous occasions this year
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Russ wrote:What the blue feck does Madigan offer in other positions?

He never plays 12

He offers the ability to play outhalf, inside centre and full back. I'm not even claiming scrum half for him. You obviously think he's crap in those positions. Those in charge at Leinster and Ireland think differently. The fact remains that PJ plays only at 10.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

promenader wrote:
Russ wrote:What the blue feck does Madigan offer in other positions?

He never plays 12

He offers the ability to play outhalf, inside centre and full back. I'm not even claiming scrum half for him. You obviously think he's crap in those positions. Those in charge at Leinster and Ireland think differently. The fact remains that PJ plays only at 10.
I doubt that's an actual fact

PJ doesn't play 12 or 15 because Ulster have players who can play there

Leinster don't so they get their versatile brad pitt heap to go there
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Wy do you need Madigans versatility at centre and fullback when Sexton Payne and even Earls can cover those poitions between them arguably to a much better level?
Believe me when I say that Madigan is in there as Joe believes he is his legitimate second choice ten.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

If PJ were on the bench and not Wee Mads, there are several options open for covering most scenarios:-
Sexton gets injured, straight swap with PJ
Henshaw gets injured, move Sexton to 12 and PJ to 10
JP gets injured, Henshaw to 13, Sexton to 12 and PJ to 10
Bob gets injured, JP to FB, and the last of the above
A winger gets injured, then Bob to the wing and the last of the above
If they all get fecked, then Fibber was right and Wee Mads should have been on the bench as he can cover all positions simultaneously!
I don't really see how there would be too much,if any, disruption using any one of the above scenarios, it may even improve things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Remember when Sexton and OGara were in the same 23