Ulster v Zebre Fri 4th Mar 7:35pm BBCNI

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Zebre Fri 4th Mar 7:35pm BBCNI

Post by justinr73 »

Another MOTM for the number 8 formerly known as the busted flush and Pete the Beast just gets better and better.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The trouble with the game was it was over after 20 minutes .

Zebra at best looked like a team who might score 14 points ( big might ) but never 20 .

Everybody then expected a try fest from Ulster to entertain them
but Zebra were wise to the fact that Ulster lacked an experienced threat out wide and packed the mid field which lead to the Ulster's mid field trying the round around their opposite numbers without success .

Thus a try fest was denied by the combined efforts of Zebra ( whose kicking was a high standard to be honest every kick was contested ) Ulster ( who lacked a recognised threat other than in the centre) and Clancy who allowed the game to become disrupted into a waltz slow slow quick quick slow at each and every scrum and when Ulster crossed the white wash .

Ulster did cross the line 6 times not 4 but never got enough points on the board to break the Zebra resistance soon enough for a try fest .

This left the spectator feeling denied .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

The problem with the game is that the Ulster pack is as soft as shyte. The set prices rarely delivers clean ball and they rarely punch holes to suck in defenders. How many times can teams simply fan out in defence knowing that the bs is going to be spread wide as we've no carriers(bar Big Nick).
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Big-al wrote:The problem with the game is that the Ulster pack is as soft as shyte. The set prices rarely delivers clean ball and they rarely punch holes to suck in defenders. How many times can teams simply fan out in defence knowing that the bs is going to be spread wide as we've no carriers(bar Big Nick).
Been the same for as long as I can remember. Henderson is obviously a monumental loss in this department but our tight 5 are useless in that department. Ah I miss the Afoa shuffle albeit he was rarely here to do it... As I said last year.... Charlie will make no difference behind a stagnant pack. I'd rather have kept Scholes and brought in another grizzly up front. Fek we miss 1F.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

againstthehead wrote:
Big-al wrote:The problem with the game is that the Ulster pack is as soft as shyte. The set prices rarely delivers clean ball and they rarely punch holes to suck in defenders. How many times can teams simply fan out in defence knowing that the bs is going to be spread wide as we've no carriers(bar Big Nick).
Been the same for as long as I can remember. Henderson is obviously a monumental loss in this department but our tight 5 are useless in that department. Ah I miss the Afoa shuffle albeit he was rarely here to do it... As I said last year.... Charlie will make no difference behind a stagnant pack. I'd rather have kept Scholes and brought in another grizzly up front. Fek we miss 1F.
Pretty sure it was established here already that Ulster wouldn't have been allowed to have 4 NIQ forwards so we can cancel that thought.

No Best, no Herbst, no O'Connor, no Tuohy... they'd have made a difference.

Maybe I'm being over optimistic but I'm chalking this one down to an understrength Ulster not being that good with the added bonus that no one wanted to get injured in a game where the TBP was guaranteed. I could still be hopeful that an Ulster with motivation and key players back could give it some in a play-off game... shame recent events cast some doubt on that coming about.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Silver lining could be that the great one gets a decent rest over the summer as there is no chance he'll be selected for the Saffers on current form.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Sitting watching the Hurricanes playing the Highlanders as I type makes me realise just how sub standard the Rabo Pro 12 is by comparison. I was at the game last night and the second half performance was wholly unacceptable. No pace, urgency or composure and it's amazing that it took Paul Marshall to come on and inject pace and thankfully get Ulster the bonus point we didn't deserve. Four young girls in front of me had a great night but then again they got through seven pints of larger each ( consumed via straws?) and spent 78 minutes texting each other. A number of points worth mentioning 1. Stockdale is not ready and worryingly seems to lack any real burst of pace 2. Our scrum is average at best 3. Our best player ( again ) is Nick Williams 4. Selling Scholes is a mistake 5. Several senior players now perform like senior citizens 6. Ground starting to empty early doors which speaks volumes 7.Ruan was poor 8. We need Payne, Ludick, Best, Bowe, Trimble and Hendo back asap after the dross that has been this six nations. Despite all this I renewed the old season ticket in hope that one day fast flowing dynamic rugby will unfold in front of my eyeballs at Ravers.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Its partly his own fault, he should have retired from international rugby after the RWC, it's mainly Ulster's fault for not finding an adequate back up.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Stockdale is definitely not yet ready and not the finished article, but he's 19 fs. Scholes and Farrell weren't much better for the first year or so, but couple of years more mature, are tearing it up. He now has about half a season of starting experience, which is good for a 19 year old. Hes big, will get much stronger. People should remember hes playing against guys 10 years older whilst he's still a teen. Thats a huge difference. A year or two on and he will be very useful. McCloskeys 23, and only pushed through in the last year. What age didTrimble and Bowe make the breakthrough?
We should expect more from our coaching staff and senior players, not a 19 year old to carry the season. Most games he's had man and ball, rarely a clear run to see what he can really do.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Beattiespastie wrote:Sitting watching the Hurricanes playing the Highlanders as I type makes me realise just how sub standard the Rabo Pro 12 is by comparison. I was at the game last night and the second half performance was wholly unacceptable. No pace, urgency or composure and it's amazing that it took Paul Marshall to come on and inject pace and thankfully get Ulster the bonus point we didn't deserve. Four young girls in front of me had a great night but then again they got through seven pints of larger each ( consumed via straws?) and spent 78 minutes texting each other. A number of points worth mentioning 1. Stockdale is not ready and worryingly seems to lack any real burst of pace 2. Our scrum is average at best 3. Our best player ( again ) is Nick Williams 4. Selling Scholes is a mistake 5. Several senior players now perform like senior citizens 6. Ground starting to empty early doors which speaks volumes 7.Ruan was poor 8. We need Payne, Ludick, Best, Bowe, Trimble and Hendo back asap after the dross that has been this six nations. Despite all this I renewed the old season ticket in hope that one day fast flowing dynamic rugby will unfold in front of my eyeballs at Ravers.
And Tuohy, Herbst and OConnor, which changes the dynamic of the pack. Ironically, Warwick was better at tighthead than Lutton ...
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Stockdale is definitely not yet ready and not the finished article, but he's 19 fs. Scholes and Farrell weren't much better for the first year or so, but couple of years more mature, are tearing it up. He now has about half a season of starting experience, which is good for a 19 year old. Hes big, will get much stronger. People should remember hes playing against guys 10 years older whilst he's still a teen. Thats a huge difference. A year or two on and he will be very useful. McCloskeys 23, and only pushed through in the last year. What age didTrimble and Bowe make the breakthrough?
We should expect more from our coaching staff and senior players, not a 19 year old to carry the season. Most games he's had man and ball, rarely a clear run to see what he can really do.
Lacks the speed to be a back 3 player. Ulster will regret not trying harder to convince Scholes to stay. He'll be a big loss.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I watched Stockdale at senior school level and he was excellent but I just don't think he is ready at 19 for the starting birth week in week out. He is undoubtedly a great raw talent and by God when he fills out we have another McCloskey size wise but at this moment of time I don't see explosive power in his running .
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Also, watched Browne closely last night. At about 9 minutes into the match an Ulster forward had his hands on the ball and probably about to win the turnover, all that was needed was Browne to come and ruck the Zebre out of the way, instead he came and stood as the plat in defence, like he nearly always seems to do.

I'm actually wondering is he frightened of contact/getting hurt?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote:Also, watched Browne closely last night. At about 9 minutes into the match an Ulster forward had his hands on the ball and probably about to win the turnover, all that was needed was Browne to come and ruck the Zebre out of the way, instead he came and stood as the plat in defence, like he nearly always seems to do.

I'm actually wondering is he frightened of contact/getting hurt?
He doesn't have AOC' darkness about him. Has a lot of attributes obviously, and wasn't disasterous, took his try well etc but you need your locks to have nastiness and/ or grunt.
I though AOC was fit again BTW? Where was he?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Stockdale is definitely not yet ready and not the finished article, but he's 19 fs. Scholes and Farrell weren't much better for the first year or so, but couple of years more mature, are tearing it up. He now has about half a season of starting experience, which is good for a 19 year old. Hes big, will get much stronger. People should remember hes playing against guys 10 years older whilst he's still a teen. Thats a huge difference. A year or two on and he will be very useful. McCloskeys 23, and only pushed through in the last year. What age didTrimble and Bowe make the breakthrough?
Lacks the speed to be a back 3 player. Ulster will regret not trying harder to convince Scholes to stay. He'll be a big loss.
I take your point, but still argue we haven't seen the finished article. Anyway, back play is a mystery to me....what's this speed witchcraft you speak of? :scratch: :cheers: