McCloskey

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: McCloskey

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Did Trimble not answer the number 6 question during the first test?
But he wasn't at the euros
He answered it by text.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Did Trimble not answer the number 6 question during the first test?
He answered it by text.
No phones in SA though
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Russ wrote:
He answered it by text.
No phones in SA though
That's what we're supposed to believe......
Now shut up, I listening to Corby trouser press.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Stu M was in France. Whether the story is true is a different matter.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ruckover wrote: His omission was on the basis that he would "benefit from a full pre-season", which usually tends to be the case for players short on game time or just back from injury. It was a nonsensical reason for him not to travel, especially given some players who were initially named in the squad to travel had played about two games in the build up to the tour.

I would much prefer if coaches didn't give any reasons in public for not selecting somebody. If I was the coach I'd just say "I have selected the players I want to select for this tour / match and that is all"

It is not our business but of course we just can't help nosing about and trying to invent things to be getting upset about.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
ruckover wrote: His omission was on the basis that he would "benefit from a full pre-season", which usually tends to be the case for players short on game time or just back from injury. It was a nonsensical reason for him not to travel, especially given some players who were initially named in the squad to travel had played about two games in the build up to the tour.

I would much prefer if coaches didn't give any reasons in public for not selecting somebody. If I was the coach I'd just say "I have selected the players I want to select for this tour / match and that is all"

It is not our business but of course we just can't help nosing about and trying to invent things to be getting upset about.
Joe just didn't want to be unkind and tell the truth. He's good, but he's not quite Olding.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: Joe just didn't want to be unkind and tell the truth. He's good, but he's not quite Olding.

Feck you Snipe. You are now forcing me to engage. I don't think Joe rates McCloskey. I think he thinks of him in a similar way to Tommy O'Donnell - Something along the lines of - If stuck he might manage to do a job but otherwise I'll stick with the better players. If that is true or has elements of truth I would agree with him as well.....in relation to both.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Joe just didn't want to be unkind and tell the truth. He's good, but he's not quite Olding.

Feck you Snipe. You are now forcing me to engage. I don't think Joe rates McCloskey. I think he thinks of him in a similar way to Tommy O'Donnell - Something along the lines of - If stuck he might manage to do a job but otherwise I'll stick with the better players. If that is true or has elements of truth I would agree with him as well.....in relation to both.
Both Tommy and Big Stu are solid young players who will do a job for you, but neither of them have that little bit of something that makes them stand out.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

McCloskey's role at Ulster is as an additional pacy Ball carrier to break the gain line .

There is not the same degree of need for a centre to perform that role at International level .

ToD as a 7 ( open side forager) is one of the best but I think Joe considers he maybe light weight for Internationals ie not only have you get over the ball you have to be hard to shift when you get there and others may have an edge in that respect

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Ok
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Ok
Rumsplaining at its best.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
onefisbetterthan2
Novice

Post by onefisbetterthan2 »

rumncoke wrote:McCloskey's role at Ulster is as an additional pacy Ball carrier to break the gain line .

There is not the same degree of need for a centre to perform that role at International level .

ToD as a 7 ( open side forager) is one of the best but I think Joe considers he maybe light weight for Internationals ie not only have you get over the ball you have to be hard to shift when you get there and others may have an edge in that respect

Not sure you are fully on the mark here Mr Rum...Sonny Bill Williams, Jamie Roberts, Fatty Bastereau, De Allande etc etc may all disagree with you.

TOD might be many things, but he certainly insn't lightweight! He mightn't be as good as a Pocock over the ball or indeed as fat as Armitage (not the Spide, the other one) over it, but that would not be the reason Joe wouldn't pick him in my opinion
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My point not that he can't stay over the ball but that Joe may consider others are better at it

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
onefisbetterthan2
Novice

Post by onefisbetterthan2 »

rumncoke wrote:My point not that he can't stay over the ball but that Joe may consider others are better at it

If you say so....

Not sure that the number one role of any NH 7 these days is to get over the ball. Read the stats for any pro game...its about first and second arrival at ruck and effectiveness of slowing the ball. These events happen 10 times more often than any poach.

Try it some time...it's much easier to get in the way and slow a ball than to nick one, especially when there are 15 massive blokes trying to stop you nicking it!

Upshot is that pace and an 'engine' is much more useful in modern rugby than being able to pull off one or two Hollywood moment poaches in a game
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

onefisbetterthan2 wrote:
rumncoke wrote:My point not that he can't stay over the ball but that Joe may consider others are better at it

If you say so....

Not sure that the number one role of any NH 7 these days is to get over the ball. Read the stats for any pro game...its about first and second arrival at ruck and effectiveness of slowing the ball. These events happen 10 times more often than any poach.

Try it some time...it's much easier to get in the way and slow a ball than to nick one, especially when there are 15 massive blokes trying to stop you nicking it!

Upshot is that pace and an 'engine' is much more useful in modern rugby than being able to pull off one or two Hollywood moment poaches in a game
Whilst you're still getting settled in remember 99% of rums bant is woeful