Potential new scrum half after Ruan leaves,

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Potential new scrum half after Ruan leaves,

Post by Rooster »

therealspratt wrote:
Rooster wrote:
cheese wrote:the chat seems to be this boy Stewart is to be the real deal and Ulster/Ireland see him as the future. I heard they will spend this season trying to bulk him up, let him play limited amount of rugby so he is ready for next season.
Er so we have a potential scrum half who will spend a year eating lots and then potentially will be our starting 9 next season ?
I'd say the most likely scheme is that he'll sit on the bench behind Cooney or Marshall.
And if Marshall gets busted in the week before the SDC he would be our starting 9, yip real smart idea unless they have something else planned
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Rooster wrote:
therealspratt wrote:
Rooster wrote:
cheese wrote:the chat seems to be this boy Stewart is to be the real deal and Ulster/Ireland see him as the future. I heard they will spend this season trying to bulk him up, let him play limited amount of rugby so he is ready for next season.
Er so we have a potential scrum half who will spend a year eating lots and then potentially will be our starting 9 next season ?
I'd say the most likely scheme is that he'll sit on the bench behind Cooney or Marshall.
And if Marshall gets busted in the week before the SDC he would be our starting 9, yip real smart idea unless they have something else planned
Angus Lloyd! :thumleft:
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Or Shanahan...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I have confidence that if there is an IQ scrumhalf out there who is amenable to a move, Bryn will find him.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Peter Stringer is comfortably the best option if he'd consider playing for Nordies. Sad but true.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Peter Stringer is comfortably the best option if he'd consider playing for Nordies. Sad but true.
How very true Baggy, I am not convinced about any of the other options
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Age has to catch up with Stringer soon. I wouldn't like to be the one proposing that we sign a 40 year old scrumhalf to Les.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:Austin Healy was and is a Bellend but could play both scrum and wing. Lyttle is our saviour.
That is true also, we too have wee-p who has filled in on the wing in a injury crisis, I seem to recall Irish 9 John Maloney doing similar, but that is pretty much a move that swift 9s can make occasionally.

As for that get Healy, I believe him to have been overrated as a 9, I think his overconfidence lured a few to into believing the hype. He was a fast but modest player.

I still hope to see Healy perish under the wheels of a pantechnicon before my own imminent demise. >threaten
Ian Humphreys once of this parish dealt with Healy, cant find the footage but it was a joy to behold
It was an utter joy to watch, Healy being a dickhead turned ballsout rather than the planned arsefirst the show usually had. Oh how we laughed as iHumph, banged the first attempt flush into Healy's meat & two making the little shitbag scream. Not a hint of sympathy from the rest of the Tigers as they flocked to congratulate iHumph. Possibly his career highlight though he may cite 2 wins at Toemund Parc as his favourites.

SKY pulled the video from Yachube, for no good apparent reason other than that they could. You'd have thunk with the wee ballix at BTSport, perhaps SKY can be prevailed upon to permit access? May I'll email them. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Age has to catch up with Stringer soon. I wouldn't like to be the one proposing that we sign a 40 year old scrumhalf to Les.
Of course that is correct however, two things make it far from impossible, Stringer himself: wears a pioneer badge, never smoked or drank, he is as fit as a fiddle & importantly mentally he is driven & wants to play for ever, I spoke to him in Caaaaaaaaaaadiff after Munster won the ERC in 2008 with him on the bench, he had his medal, the cup was won, but he was personally desolate because he'd not played the final. Secondly the absolute dearth of viable options that are IQ.

If only to stick a wee finger in the dike (ooooh err matron) whilst young Stewart becomes the whizz that several here insist he will be, then Stringer has to be an option - if he would play here and I've never been convinced he would.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Sorted..... Bryn, Les, and Rab greet new IQ 9.
onefisbetterthan2
Novice

Post by onefisbetterthan2 »

At the risk of offending those who believe that we will become the first professional rugby team ever (I await correction :roll: ) to convert a professional winger to a starting scrum half, would it not be worth looking a little closer to home and trawling the Aviva Prem to find a decent starting scrum half with a Jack Charlton Granny? Got to be a higher chance of success, even as a stop gap, than picking up a 20 year old ATM Cup level player from NZ who might not be up to it.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Sounds like a plan to me.....

A crap plan, but a plan nevertheless.
yeah, I love it when a crap plan comes together.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

I hope they at least ask Stringer. He's not just the best IQ scrum-half coming out of contract this season, he's not just the best mentor we could get for a young scrum-half, he'd also be one hell of a professional example for, well, everyone in the squad. If he doesn't want to, fair dos, but he's worth asking. Even if he's 400.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Surely bringing in Stringer is harming indigenous talent from progressing ...