Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Re: Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Jason Bourne (2016) - good movie, pretty much as expected. 2 hours and 3 minutes long and even after a hard days work I didn't yawn once even though it was midnite before leaving the cinema. Wee Jane coped ok but was delighted to see that there is a new Bridget Jones movie being released in September - Bridget Jones Baby - and I have agreed to take her to that.

PS Matt Damon wearing well at 45, Julia Stiles so-so at 35, Alicia Vikander a wee hottie at 27, Vincent Cassel looks more than 49 and whilst Tommy Lee Jones looks way over 69 he still acts great, scowls and grimaces well and gets all the best one-liners.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Brian Dunn 382
Novice

Post by Brian Dunn 382 »

£3.50 Tuesday in Larne and Dominos 2 for 1. Enjoyed. Saw BFG last week but cinema was full of children. I was there with my middle child - my daughter who is 34.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I saw Bourne earlier this week and thought it was OK, a run-of-the-mill action thriller with obligatory fights, car chases, motorbike chases and so on.

I see that Matt Damon had a grand total of 288 words or 45 lines of dialogue in the entire film.

Apparently this is a growing trend as films want to appeal to the large Chinese market and a lot of dialogue is more difficult to translate or subtitle...

However it isn't anything really new as Clint Eastwood's character was hardly verbose in the spaghetti westerns of the 60s.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Saw the recently released "The Girl on the Train" last night at the Strand cinema. Hadnt heard anything about it but mate with me had read the book. Rattles along and lucky old Tom (well lucky at least until near the end :) ) has it all to do. Any man who can charm Emily Blunt (23.2.1983) as Rachel, Rebecca Ferguson (19.10.1983) as Anna, and Haley Bennett (7.1.1988) as Megan, surely deserves some credit. One of those films that is probably worth a second viewing too so get along asap. Justin Theroux plays Tom.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The Girl on the Train is a really good movie. Not is the league of Gone Girl, but worth £6.50.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The book is excellent. It's literally one you can't put down. Very gripping.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:The Girl on the Train is a really good movie. Not is the league of Gone Girl, but worth £6.50.
Interesting price
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:The book is excellent. It's literally one you can't put down. Very gripping.
Currently reading it atm, had a bit of a slow start I thought but speeding a bit up now

I had heard the movie wasn't getting good reviews at all
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote:The book is excellent. It's literally one you can't put down. Very gripping.
Currently reading it atm, had a bit of a slow start I thought but speeding a bit up now

I had heard the movie wasn't getting good reviews at all
It's all American despite being set in London in the book.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Going to see Jack Reacher: Never Go Back tonight.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I saw Lee Child being interviewed on the tele yesterday morning. He was asked why four foot nothing Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher when the character in the book is about eight foot tall. The answer was that very tall ugly leading actors don't sell movies and that TC is a damn fine actor. Lee Child also has a talking part in the movie. Give a review Snipe. I love the books and the first movie was good.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I know it's far from recent but I watched Heartbreak Ridge the other night. Truly awful. I didn't realise Clint Eastwood had made such a dreadful film.

Also watched Kind Hearts and Coronets. A true classic. Brilliant with, of course, a classic ending.

Nope, I don't get out much.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mid ulster maestro wrote:I saw Lee Child being interviewed on the tele yesterday morning. He was asked why four foot nothing Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher when the character in the book is about eight foot tall. The answer was that very tall ugly leading actors don't sell movies and that TC is a damn fine actor. Lee Child also has a talking part in the movie. Give a review Snipe. I love the books and the first movie was good.
I don't think it's as good as the first movie and not nearly as good as the book. It's decent, but no better than that.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I am delighted to report that Forrest Gump is no longer at the top of my turkey list. Snakes on a plane is pure scour.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

John Hurt a magnificent actor. RIP