Rory sets new record

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Rory sets new record

Post by Spiffsson »

Master of None wrote:Reading the southern press and their appreciation of Rory is heartwarming stuff. For an Ulsterman to get the plaudits he has received from players and press on the other side of the border brings a tear to the eye. What a great ambassador for Ulster. :red: :fleg:
He has a Sombrero in the post. On the othet hand, can't believe I am reading some of the mean shiit about Rory on some other Irish fan boards. Sounds like sour grapes, but why
. 100 caps
. tremendous all round play in the tight and loose, especially poaching turnovers
. a great engine
. tough as nails
. captains Ireland to wins over SA, NZ, Oz in the same year
. leads by example
. universally popular with his team
. a modest and likeable captain in the old style, does not blow his own horn
. despite sone throwing yips etc in past years ,is now the best hooker in the Brit Isles

he is the backbone of the team
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There are those who look on the guys who played in Irish teams under EoS and Kidney as the greatest players ever to wear green be they from Leinster or Munster .

And yes they were good but not as great as the those who remember them believe them to be .

The question is was that the players or three coaches fault or was it that the team was only as good as its weakest link .

Personally I think it is a combination of all three in that some players were not as good as they are considered to have been and the tactics and selections where adopted to suit the players selected .

Whereas I believe Joe is selecting players who can play to his plan as far as injuries will allow him too and those brought into the side have conform to that outline .

The "golden boys " achieve a lot of things but frequently fell short of expectation .

It maybe that Ireland lacked the SiD .

EoS would have played the team that beat the ABs against Canada and most likely have lost yesterday I think the fact that the forwards had that rest enabled the forwards get the 80 mins yesterday .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Nice stats Bagster.
Though given as no other Irish captain has beaten the All blacks everything he does from this point can be a record.
First Irish captain to to defeat New Zealand and Glasgow in one season
Gwan Rory!
Snipe Watson wrote:Fist Irish captain to beat New Zealand and win best in show at Balmoral.
So none of you clowns think beating the 3 SH teams within a few months is worthwhile or worthy of mention?

Fair enough, nothing surprises me about you clowns. :roll:
Do we not usually bate Australia?
Relevance?

By the way, we have thrashed them 7 times out of 18 in Dublin, 11 out of 33 overall, so .............no we don't.
Have you read this thread? How many times Rory said "look"
Satire old boy, satire. >EW
I think you'll find I took it off topic many posts ago, how unusual. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Like it makes a difference from "LIKE' like
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote:Like it makes a difference from "LIKE' like
A pleasant difference too Rum. "Like" gives me the right hump, so it does.

Now there's a prapper Norn Iron figure of speech.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Fist Irish captain to beat New Zealand and win best in show at Balmoral.
So none of you clowns think beating the 3 SH teams within a few months is worthwhile or worthy of mention?

Fair enough, nothing surprises me about you clowns. :roll:
Do we not usually bate Australia?
Relevance?

By the way, we have thrashed them 7 times out of 18 in Dublin, 11 out of 33 overall, so .............no we don't.
Have you read this thread? How many times Rory said "look"
Satire old boy, satire. >EW
I think you'll find I took it off topic many posts ago, how unusual. >EW[/quote]
I noticed. It's not.......... :lol:
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

The interviewer on Sky was a certain Rupert. I'm surprised Rory could keep a straight face. Probably should change his name to Luke, or anything else really.

Brings me back to the old Lions debate. The Lions captain has to be a cert for the test team. Maybe Dylanquent is a better captain than Rory, I don't know, but he isn't a better hooker. Plus other captains are available. The last tour was very last minute for him and I think his line-outs suffered for it.

I loved O'Connell referring to Rory as "a bit of a throw-back" and him and Darce cracked up, inferring he was good steam on a night out. There's some good anecdotes in Rala's book and he does seem like a genuine messer.

Also his pre-match interview when he was asked if he actually got a cap and didn't know, then said his kids would get it. And his agricultural tweets on this the occasion of his 100th International cap!
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Deraless wrote:The interviewer on Sky was a certain Rupert. I'm surprised Rory could keep a straight face. Probably should change his name to Luke, or anything else really.

Brings me back to the old Lions debate. The Lions captain has to be a cert for the test team. Maybe Dylanquent is a better captain than Rory, I don't know, but he isn't a better hooker. Plus other captains are available. The last tour was very last minute for him and I think his line-outs suffered for it.

I loved O'Connell referring to Rory as "a bit of a throw-back" and him and Darce cracked up, inferring he was good steam on a night out. There's some good anecdotes in Rala's book and he does seem like a genuine messer.

Also his pre-match interview when he was asked if he actually got a cap and didn't know, then said his kids would get it. And his agricultural tweets on this the occasion of his 100th International cap!
Ken Owens is likely to start for boshfest 17
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I was just really pleased Ireland got over the line on Rory's big day.

How many times have Ulster players ran out for their 100th/150th/200th cap and ended up on the losing side recently?

Rory's now reached the stage where he deserves to be included in the small pantheon of truly all-time greats of Ulster rugby. :red:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

was fortunate to be there yesterday...great atmosphere and Rory was his usual magnificent self as a player and personality. Crowd rightly gave him three great rounds of applause, on Entering with his kids, when he was subbed standing ovation, and at end after his interview. Class player class rugby man.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Was really impressed with rogs and paulies tribute on rte. Both guys showed a genuine respect and admiration for best, which I'm sure means more to him than anything else.