Bonus points for 6 Nations

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Bonus points for 6 Nations

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:You can't really apply something like this retrospectively. BPs weren't part of the equations on the last day of those championships.

I imagine some of those final days would have played out differently if they had. Have to say the trys scored/points difference scenarios were also unsatisfactory at times as is the consecutive match format (although that's never going to change).

Always best if somebody wins all their games.
Unless it's the welsh
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:You can't really apply something like this retrospectively. BPs weren't part of the equations on the last day of those championships.

I imagine some of those final days would have played out differently if they had. Have to say the trys scored/points difference scenarios were also unsatisfactory at times as is the consecutive match format (although that's never going to change).

Unless it's the welsh
Or the English.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:

Unless it's the welsh
Or the English.
I've grown to like them
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Or the English.
I've grown to like them
Great people.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ayepod
Initiate

Post by ayepod »

I'm in the positive camp on this one. A lot of Six Nations games are crap! Yes there is tradition and rivalry, but I'm up for an experiment to see if it can add a bit more interest to the second half of some one-sided games.

What I don't want this to be is an excuse from the suits to ignore Georgia knocking on the door. Why not increase to a 7-team tournament? You resolve the unequal number of home/away games problem, and create another whereby teams will have had an extra week's rest for some games. All can be accommodated in the same window, and is Georgia are so guff then the 'established' teams can play their B teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:

Unless it's the welsh
Or the English.
Or the Scots FFS

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/8-figures-yo ... gby/253892
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I'd quite like the winner to play the winner of the rugby championship on a regular basis - maybe at the end of the Autumn series although I guess it makes scheduling difficult.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:

Unless it's the welsh
Or the English.
I've grown to like them

Almost as loveable as terminal cancer.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

caledoniancelt wrote:
Almost as loveable as terminal cancer.
Folk who believe in the glory of suffering may love terminal cancer. In that case it would be similar to feelings towards those wonderful people of England.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

againstthehead wrote:I'd quite like the winner to play the winner of the rugby championship on a regular basis - maybe at the end of the Autumn series although I guess it makes scheduling difficult.
It would end up being held in Japan and no one else would bother watching
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WeeWorld wrote:
againstthehead wrote:I'd quite like the winner to play the winner of the rugby championship on a regular basis - maybe at the end of the Autumn series although I guess it makes scheduling difficult.
It would end up being held in Japan and no one else would bother watching
Sarriscum would demand it was played in Los Angeles or Outer Mongolia
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well I see I was wrong in thinking Ireland may not have "won" their two recent championships, they would indeed. Not only that but the BP system would have made Ireland rather than France champions in 2007 which may have been some compensation in the year that they were truly appalling in the RWC when some were tipping them to win it. :shock:

In 2013 England rather than Wales would have won despite the absolute thrashing Wales handed them on the final day, when yet again England blew a grand slam. I didn't watch the game but rejoiced in the result.
BaggyTrousers wrote:Ireland of course may not have won either of their recent 6Ns had bonus points been introduced but it always stuck in my throat a tad that we were the best by virtue of a few points. As a traditionalist I regarded them as shared championships, my preferred option but of course in this day & age like the Seppos we cannot accept there not being outright winners.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.