|Schools cup 2017

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

jamsodonnell
Novice

Re: |Schools cup 2017

Post by jamsodonnell »

On Saturday 18th February, there were 4 Schools Cup games and 4 Subsidiary Shield games. This makes 16 teams in total. 15 were available to play on the pre arranged date. Most of those Schools also arrange ski trips too but not on Cup dates. Why ? because they have those dates well in advance. One School gambled and lost. Decision was taken by Schools Committee, a group of Schoolteachers not "Old suits " as quoted on other media. This was a no brainer. I sympathise with the Friends players. Not their fault.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Russ wrote:Right we should all probably leave the Schools Cup thread before it descends to the joke levels of the actual Schools Cup

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jamsodonnell wrote:On Saturday 18th February, there were 4 Schools Cup games and 4 Subsidiary Shield games. This makes 16 teams in total. 15 were available to play on the pre arranged date. Most of those Schools also arrange ski trips too but not on Cup dates. Why ? because they have those dates well in advance. One School gambled and lost. Decision was taken by Schools Committee, a group of Schoolteachers not "Old suits " as quoted on other media. This was a no brainer. I sympathise with the Friends players. Not their fault.
Didn't take long

Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Strange fact RBAI have knocked CCB out of every rugby cup this season 1,2,3 and medallion :D

So semi final predictions:

RBAI v Ballymena, haven't played each other this season and lots of players from med shield 3 years ago, going on rankings should be RBAI but too close too call

MCB v BRA on form and on previous meetings about as much of a one sided game as you could get. MCB by at least 35 points
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Beattiespastie wrote:Yes- Four big schools that didn't book a ski trip on quarter final weekend. Good win for MCB away. RBAI against Ballymena is a tight one.
MCB scraped a win near the end pastie, the real final this year is RBAI v Ballymena Academy
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:Yes- Four big schools that didn't book a ski trip on quarter final weekend. Good win for MCB away. RBAI against Ballymena is a tight one.
MCB scraped a win near the end pastie, the real final this year is RBAI v Ballymena Academy
I wonder how many fellas will give up the game come March 18

I wonder how many already have

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Most of the city boys
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I understand that is the way all the "big schools" work for the future of rugby players. Make their school rugby experience a bloody misery, take all the enjoyment out of the game for them and they win a schools cup game or two, maybe the whole shebang and can't wait until rugby is something they used to play. But hey, look they've turned out winners again this year, take a step up the salary scale.

Well, of course, that is just what I'm told, what would I know I'm a bloody coffin-dodger and by and large hate yutes. :roll:

NB I'm hopeful that I am misinformed and that many teachers can take pride in what they do for their young players. I bloody well hope I'm wrong.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Russ wrote:
Rooster wrote:

:banghead: >flog :sleeping:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Rooster, cannot argue with you mate. Saw MCB early season and didn't see them getting too far though strangely enough I watched a couple of second XV games and thought they had a lot of good youngsters in the squad. MCB had two tight games away to Down and Armagh so fair play to them for coming through both. RBAI should win the semi and the final given their impressive representative side. RUSS- I completely agree with you mate- a significant number of lads will never pick a rugby ball again , my young lad won schools cups and couldn't wait to get away from rugby- his choice and I fully backed him.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Beattiespastie wrote:Rooster, cannot argue with you mate. Saw MCB early season and didn't see them getting too far though strangely enough I watched a couple of second XV games and thought they had a lot of good youngsters in the squad. MCB had two tight games away to Down and Armagh so fair play to them for coming through both. RBAI should win the semi and the final given their impressive representative side. RUSS- I completely agree with you mate- a significant number of lads will never pick a rugby ball again , my young lad won schools cups and couldn't wait to get away from rugby- his choice and I fully backed him.
Top lad

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Beattiespastie wrote:Rooster, cannot argue with you mate. Saw MCB early season and didn't see them getting too far though strangely enough I watched a couple of second XV games and thought they had a lot of good youngsters in the squad. MCB had two tight games away to Down and Armagh so fair play to them for coming through both. RBAI should win the semi and the final given their impressive representative side. RUSS- I completely agree with you mate- a significant number of lads will never pick a rugby ball again , my young lad won schools cups and couldn't wait to get away from rugby- his choice and I fully backed him.

I'm assuming he went to MCB then?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

Obviously can't speak for everybody but AFAIK none of the RBAI lads who have played in the last couple of finals have given up rugby, there's quite a few playing at Instonians and a good lot over the water playing at Uni and a couple out in NZ. That they don't get picked up at ulster age grade is a different matter.

There seems to be quite a few give up rugby from MCB though. Not sure why.
But also a good few who make the ulster set up
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Semi final 1

RBAI 41-8 Ballymena Academy

Pretty emphatic win, wasn't expecting such a wide margin :D
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Blow in wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Obviously can't speak for everybody but AFAIK none of the RBAI lads who have played in the last couple of finals have given up rugby, there's quite a few playing at Instonians and a good lot over the water playing at Uni and a couple out in NZ. That they don't get picked up at ulster age grade is a different matter.

There seems to be quite a few give up rugby from MCB though. Not sure why.
But also a good few who make the ulster set up
Instonians have been very proactive in trying to get the schools lads to keep playing.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Blow in wrote:Semi final 1

RBAI 41-8 Ballymena Academy

Pretty emphatic win, wasn't expecting such a wide margin :D
;-(

Inst were very well drilled and BA seemed to have a dose of the yips, knocking on when they got anywhere near the line. Poor lads looked devastated. Schools cup is tough on those boys! Well done to the Inst boys.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten