Summer Tours

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Summer Tours

Post by Neil F »

Trimble and Bowe don't insist on trying to pirouette through 12 covering defenders from midfield on his own 10m line repeatedly... The problem is not his attacking edge; it's his decision-making and his resolute belief that he can attack from anywhere, against the pattern of play, no matter how many times he gets put on his Brennan. You'll never see an easier hat-trick, at any level of professional rugby, than the one Gilroy scored against Italy; and it's funny that the hat-trick keeps coming up when someone criticises Gilroy because, seriously, can you tell me one more thing of note he did this season?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Neil F wrote:Trimble and Bowe don't insist on trying to pirouette through 12 covering defenders from midfield on his own 10m line repeatedly... The problem is not his attacking edge; it's his decision-making and his resolute belief that he can attack from anywhere, against the pattern of play, no matter how many times he gets put on his Brennan. You'll never see an easier hat-trick, at any level of professional rugby, than the one Gilroy scored against Italy; and it's funny that the hat-trick keeps coming up when someone criticises Gilroy because, seriously, can you tell me one more thing of note he did this season?
feck up Joe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Neil F wrote:T You'll never see an easier hat-trick, at any level of professional rugby, than the one Gilroy scored against Italy; and it's funny that the hat-trick keeps coming up when someone criticises Gilroy because, seriously, can you tell me one more thing of note he did this season?
He created an opportunity for a lot of hot air to be generated around these parts. That is not to be underestimated.

Also - Rum said that nobody said that Bowe is gash. I disagree. Lots of people have said that. At the very least everybody who knows anything said he had no business being involved in the Ireland Squad this season.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I must commend Ron'n on his argument in favour of Gilroy.

Stockdale 9 in 18 games
Piutau scored 9 tries in 23 games
Trimble 3 in 11 games
Bowe 3 in 14 games
Gilroy 3 in 17 games

What is relevant is that both Stockdale & Piutau played a fair bit in other positions, Gilroy had a few at fullback too but mainly the wing.

I believe that the issue all the guys had was that for almost the entire season Ulster had a dreadfully unproductive season in the centres, none of the many combos but mainly involving Marshall, Olding & McCloskey worked, yet month on month FOLK sent them out.

I believe Gilroy has been a much better defender in recent years, much of the grumbling harks back several seasons, but one thing I'll tell you free, gratis & for nothing, he is better outside Cave and Cave only started 9 times all season.

It is interesting to me that if you asked fans which were Ulster's best games of the season, especially for the backline? They may well answer as I would, both Glasgow games, Cardiff away & Clermont home. They stand out as the most enjoyable games of the season by some distance, added to beating the Mexicans which is always enjoyable no matter the performance.

Now it may well be coincidence, >EW but in all 4 enjoyable matches this year, Cave started. I believe beyond doubt that our centres were the stumbling block for our back division last season, said it for months & I'll brook no argument now, for there can be none.

I think maybe some might look a bit further than the end of their nose when slating their non-favourite players, look over Gilroy's career stats and it's mightily impressive, the amount he's played for his age and his strike rate. I'm not saying he should be with the Lions or Ireland, I am saying he's a hell of a lot better than many here will allow and he is by no measure even close to being in the frame as a reason our season past was pish.

Harrumph. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Gilroy looked like the real goods 3-4 seasons ago. But he has not kicked on, though on occasion he is capable of scoring a great try. There is still an immaturity about his play, mainly involving decision making, and when I watch him play now I'm always a litttle on edge, waiting for something to go wrong. He has not seemed able to maximize his natural talent.I think he has now been overtaken by players like Conway, Byrne, Stockdale, Sweetnam and perhaps Adeolokun and O'Loughlin. Even Ulster's own Lyttle, a fast and clever little footballer, if he gets an injury free run, could prove the better all-round winger/FB. It's not that likely that Gilroy will get another cap, given Schmidt's tour selection, but he's certainly a good squad player for Ulster at provincial level.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Spiffsson wrote:Gilroy looked like the real goods 3-4 seasons ago. But he has not kicked on, though on occasion he is capable of scoring a great try. There is still an immaturity about his play, mainly involving decision making, and when I watch him play now I'm always a litttle on edge, waiting for something to go wrong. He has not seemed able to maximize his natural talent.I think he has now been overtaken by players like Conway, Byrne, Stockdale, Sweetnam and perhaps Adeolokun and O'Loughlin. Even Ulster's own Lyttle, a fast and clever little footballer, if he gets an injury free run, could prove the better all-round winger/FB. It's not that likely that Gilroy will get another cap, given Schmidt's tour selection, but he's certainly a good squad player for Ulster at provincial level.
At the risk of being accurate, he got 10 tries in the Pro 12 last year and 11 the year before.

No he's not had a great season but is that any reason to rewrite history?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spiffsson wrote:Gilroy looked like the real goods 3-4 seasons ago. But he has not kicked on, though on occasion he is capable of scoring a great try. There is still an immaturity about his play, mainly involving decision making, and when I watch him play now I'm always a litttle on edge, waiting for something to go wrong. He has not seemed able to maximize his natural talent.I think he has now been overtaken by players like Conway, Byrne, Stockdale, Sweetnam and perhaps Adeolokun and O'Loughlin. Even Ulster's own Lyttle, a fast and clever little footballer, if he gets an injury free run, could prove the better all-round winger/FB. It's not that likely that Gilroy will get another cap, given Schmidt's tour selection, but he's certainly a good squad player for Ulster at provincial level.
It is strange Sweetnam has not been included. Of the non-established guys I would take he and Stockdale as the most promising.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I think maybe some might look a bit further than the end of their nose when slating their non-favourite players, look over Gilroy's career stats and it's mightily impressive, the amount he's played for his age and his strike rate. I'm not saying he should be with the Lions or Ireland, I am saying he's a hell of a lot better than many here will allow and he is by no measure even close to being in the frame as a reason our season past was pish.
On this I disagree, Baggy. I don't think we should judge Gilroy only on what he's achieved but on what he could / should have achieved. I know there is a tendency of many on this forum to massive over-estimate the capacity of young Ulster players when they first break onto the scene but I doubt many on this forum thought much other than Gilroy being an established international by this point in his career. The "next Shane Williams" I remember him being called (although possibly by me). I doubt many saw him in the international wilderness in a summer tour in a Lions year, let me put it like that.

As it is, my reservations about Gilroy have spanned a number of season. Not because he is a non-favourite play or anything of the sort but rather because he has become incredibly frustrating to watch, particularly with ball in hand. His strike rate is impressive but in two of the last three seasons, his most impressive form came during international windows. This season, he didn't even get going then. So much of that, though, seems to come from his decision-making. Unlike any other Ulster player, he really does try to do too much when he gets the ball in his hands. Maybe this happens to a player in bad form. Maybe he's trying too hard to make something happen. He wouldn't be the only one in Ulster I could apply that to but that shouldn't make his form immune to criticism, especially when much of it seems to have come because of a deterioration in his decision-making. A player six or seven years into his career shouldn't be making the basic errors Gilroy has been; and not just this season.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Sean Reidy called up for the injured TOD. Rhys Ruddock is the captain.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Eir Sport showing the 3 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neill_M wrote:Eir Sport showing the 3 games.

Well what the feck use is that to anyone ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Rooster wrote:

That is the tv rights down Mexico way. World rugby do provide free live streams via youtube etc of some internationals etc
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neill_M wrote:
Rooster wrote:

That is the tv rights down Mexico way. World rugby do provide free live streams via youtube etc of some internationals etc
Right, when is the United Ireland referendum, that has finally made my mind up
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Who's playing fly half this week?

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Who's playing fly half this week?

No idea Russ, who do you think?