Ulster v Leinster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Leinster

Post by damianmcr »

If I had win the euromillions rollover I'd have fixed all this.

Seen Dave Shanahan there in his Audi jeep. Why are we wasting time on him? It doesn't help that young O'Donnell lad isn't in the academy anymore. Will he likely be signed by another province or team in England? That would sicken me.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (226.74 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

Not entirely sure that I agree with the apparent domination of Leinster Schools and the progression to their Academy. Yes , the Schools do commit financially to top D O Rs in their schools and a rich vein of talent flows through to the Leinster Academy, but I would hold my judgement for a few years to see if the Ulster U19s of last year and the U18s of this year (both of whom won their respective Interprovincial Championships ) come through and provide the Ulster Academy with a stream of good talent.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I've been holding my judgement since 1999. Not sure how much longer I can be expected to hold it for.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Also important to note that the Leinster have managed to bring through guys in a more structured fashion, usually surrounded by some good experienced players and in a pack which is more often than not going forwards.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote:Until our parents stump up the guts of 4 grand a term for private boarding schools where they can rugby train till the cows come home I'm not sure we can ever compete.
Its that equation, lots of money= success.
Marty was trying to do that for years before he shuffled off - introduce a mediocre one size fits all comprehensive education system akin to the one failing miserably in Engerland and Wales and force the middle class prods (and taigs) into paying through the nose for private edumacation. He knew that it was UR's only realistic path to silverware. :red:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Cockatrice wrote:Line outs shyte particularly one on their line and one on ours... Rodney can hit providing the player runs into him ask him to get about or catch a ball and forget it... the Hond for the record is worse watch this space... poor Leinster team and never would have scored in the second half in a month of play and against 14 they cut us open... tommy is finished and well done Cairns...

Supporters around me more interested in selfies and oje fans shouting come on Norn Iron and yes the idiot sending the political message out on Sky.. next time Ulster tell me to stop flying an Ulster flag they can go and feck off... we are shyte and offered nothing
This is the one that has me convinced that everyone in Ulster Rugby are clueless, I and some others stated that SVDM was at best not very good, I came to this conclusion by watching him play for the Kings, he was an average scrummager, he rarely carried the ball and if he did he made less yards than Robbie also he inspected so many rucks even Pete Browne was jealous...now if a numpty like me can see this why can't anyone in UR or maybe they just trust the word of Constable and the official Ulster Rugby photographer who have sold UR another pup and are laughing their way to the bank....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

bazzaj wrote:I've been holding my judgement since 1999. Not sure how much longer I can be expected to hold it for.
There was a fleeting moment around 2006/2007 where we had an all ulster backrow of Best, Wilson and Ferris which was pretty good. One of them never realised his full potential and a lot of another's best years were realised away from Ulster. The third has his career blighted by injury. Other than Henry and Hendy i am struggling to think of many other good home grown backrowers since '99. Neil McMillan looked very good until his injury and i remember people had high hopes for David Pollock who also got injured. Linester have more now than we have riaised in 17 years.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

jamsodonnell wrote:Not entirely sure that I agree with the apparent domination of Leinster Schools and the progression to their Academy. Yes , the Schools do commit financially to top D O Rs in their schools and a rich vein of talent flows through to the Leinster Academy, but I would hold my judgement for a few years to see if the Ulster U19s of last year and the U18s of this year (both of whom won their respective Interprovincial Championships ) come through and provide the Ulster Academy with a stream of good talent.
Maybe we have the wrong coaches at the academy....all ex Ulster players I believe.....inward thinking as usual
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Until our parents stump up the guts of 4 grand a term for private boarding schools where they can rugby train till the cows come home I'm not sure we can ever compete.
Its that equation, lots of money= success.
Marty was trying to do that for years before he shuffled off - introduce a mediocre one size fits all comprehensive education system akin to the one failing miserably in Engerland and Wales and force the middle class prods (and taigs) into paying through the nose for private edumacation. He knew that it was UR's only realistic path to silverware. :red:
The comp system is so bad here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Bart S wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I've been holding my judgement since 1999. Not sure how much longer I can be expected to hold it for.
There was a fleeting moment around 2006/2007 where we had an all ulster backrow of Best, Wilson and Ferris which was pretty good. One of them never realised his full potential and a lot of another's best years were realised away from Ulster. The third has his career blighted by injury. Other than Henry and Hendy i am struggling to think of many other good home grown backrowers since '99. Neil McMillan looked very good until his injury and i remember people had high hopes for David Pollock who also got injured. Linester have more now than we have riaised in 17 years.
Most of our good backrow guys at u16s get moved into the front row for seniors

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Pretty much the whole lot* need replaced (apart from Gibbes and Peal who haven't been here long enough).

*and that doesn't stop with the professional unit, it extends somewhat into branch too.

Replacing Kiss is similar to the English soccer team replacing their manager. Re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Youth coaching is brad pitt. Concentrated on a few schools. The Academy isn't functioning, it's giving kids egos beyond their talent and hunger. Scrapping the whole academy model is probably a good move at this point. As KOTH says, the coaches don't give a f**k, they just want an easy time of it.

Transfers? Sure the first and last stop is f__king Constable and cornerflag. F__kin crooks, on both sides of that dealing.

Compare us to any of the other provinces, they are always bringing kids through that can survive and even thrive at league level. We don't trust our youngsters, or they aren't good enough, so we play Robbie f__king Diack instead. That in a nutshell shows up how bad it is.

There are no quick fixes to this omishambles, it'll be 10 years turning it around, but every year spent dithering and focusing on the penthouse rather than the foundations** will be a year wasted.

**'cos fixing the foundations will be a painful process putting a lot of noses out of joint. Ending the "jobs for the boys" culture probably scares too many at the top too.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Bart S wrote:
I remember McMillan.
Thought he was terrific
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Rhys Ruddock 19
Jordi Murphy 20
Jack Conan 21
Dan Leavy 20
Josh VDF 21
the age of when they made their debuts for Leinster, throw the Ulster lads in irrespective of age and see how they go, we'd rather wait till their in their late 20's and totally disillusioned, I know i'm talking rubbish but what we're doing now isn't working
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

scrum5 wrote:Rhys Ruddock 19
Jordi Murphy 20
Jack Conan 21
Dan Leavy 20
Josh VDF 21
the age of when they made their debuts for Leinster, throw the Ulster lads in irrespective of age and see how they go, we'd rather wait till their in their late 20's and totally disillusioned, I know i'm talking rubbish but what we're doing now isn't working
Scrum hold on one dawg darn minute... what, what are you trying to say? Create a competitive environment?

Give a few young guys a taste for blood and wet their appetite, have a few of the older guys look over their shoulder and take them out of the comfortable cosey environment they are currently in.

Good idea but it'll never catch on.... ho hum.

As much as I respect Calum Black, Clive Ross who have now become decent back up players, they'll never become anything more than that. If someone gaining an academy contract isn't already at their standard then they'll never make it.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18