British & Irish Cup 17/18

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: British & Irish Cup 17/18

Post by Cockatrice »

Pirates butchered a chance or two when they had Ulster pegged back on the line.. two or three scrums Ulster went back at rate of knots so fast their 8 left the ball behind and another when their 8 was on the try line and fell the wrong way... otherwise well done Ulster.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Props fault?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well done themins, isn't in instructive that when you get a load of young lads, many of whom are homegrown or frae doon the road, and a few of the more committed older players that they actually seem to play as if it means something to them.

Too much dross taking a decent living for little return in the senior side. I'm informed by them as knows that the great Corkman, Clive Ross has put heart and soul into the A team, a bit of a contrast to the likes of Codell & Tuohy but very much like Armagh's finest Mad Willie did until injury finished him. For me CRoss if a Dave is in the top echelon of Davedom.

Let's hope they get at least the point needed. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote:Bring back Codling

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/ ... 4564267009

I see Codling congratulated O'Toole on his MOM, must keep an eye out.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Russ wrote:Bring back Codling

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Why, are they not doing better without him >threaten
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

O'Toole was set to board at Blackrock and only came to CCB at the last minute.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Ulster A, sponsored by CD Group, took a significant step towards a spot in the British & Irish quarter-finals, thanks to a bonus point win over Cornish Pirates at Shaw's Bridge on Friday evening.

Going into the Round 5 clash, both Ulster A and the Pirates were sitting top of Pool 5 on 14 points, meaning the Ulster men's win now puts them in pole position to top the group and book their place in the playoffs.

The Pirates started the game the brightest, with their forwards using their considerable bulk to force Ulster deep into their own territory. An infringement at the breakdown presented the Pirates with the opening scoring opportunity on 12 minutes and out-half Laurence May confidently dispatched the goal kick.

The home side played their way into the game and winger Rob Lyttle showed superb speed and footwork to beat the Pirates cover and dive over in the right corner on 22 minutes. Peter Nelson's touchline conversion put Ulster 7-3 in front, and they would not relinquish that lead for the remainder of the game.

Ulster added to their tally immediately from the restart as Jack Owens, then Aaron Cairns both made breaks, before the ball was recycled for hooker John Andrew to run in an easy finish.

Four minutes before the break May landed another penalty to reduce the deficit to 12-6 at half-time.

Once again, it was the Pirates who came out of the blocks faster in the second half, and winger Alex O'Meara neatly collected his own grubber kick to touch down just 3 minutes after the restart, to leave the minimum between the sides.

However, Ulster responded immediately, as replacement hooker Zack McCall charged down an attempted box kick, before gathering and finishing off.

The Pirates pack then turned the screw once again, piling on sustained pressure inside the Ulster 22, which saw several offensive scrums on the 5m line. However, the young Ulster forward unit defended their try line manfully, restricting the Pirates to just another 3 pointer.

5 minutes from time Lyttle got the crucial score of the game. From a lineout on the Pirates 22, Ulster switched play from left to right, with Lyttle darting in for his second, and his sides fourth, try.

In the remaining time, as the visitors once again ploughed forward in search of a score to secure a losing bonus point, the Ulster rearguard once again remained resolute, standing firm and denying the Pirates any reward from the game.

Speaking after the game, Ulster coach Kieran Campbell heaped the praise on his young team:

"For a group of young men to perform like that tonight was exceptional. You've got guys there who are literally just out of school, and the resilience and resolve they showed, was something they should be proud of personally, and in terms of our Academy, we're really proud of. Particularly at the end of the game, it would've been easy for them to give up a bonus point that would be very important for Pirates in terms of their qualification hopes. They've worked exceptionally hard over the past couple of weeks, knowing it was a must win game, so to deal with that pressure tonight is very impressive."

Next up for the Ulster A team is an away trip to Scarlets Premiership Select in the final pool stage game next Saturday, in the knowledge that a point would be enough to top the pool.

SCORERS

Ulster A Scorers:

Tries: Rob Lyttle (2), John Andrew, Zack McCall
Cons: Peter Nelson
Pens: Rob Lyttle

Cornish Pirates Scorers:

Tries: Alex O'Meara
Pens: Laurence May (3)

TEAMS

Ulster A Team:

(1-8): Tommy O'Hagan, John Andrew (Capt), Tom O'Toole, Peter Browne, Clive Ross, Caleb Montgomery, Matthew Agnew, Marcus Rea;
(9-15): Jonny Stewart, Peter Nelson, Aaron Cairns, Rory Butler, Callum Patterson, Rob Lyttle, Jack Owens.

Replacements: Zack McCall, Eric O'Sullivan, John McCusker, Azur Allison, Michael Stronge, Chris Swash, Angus Kernohan.

Cornish Pirates Team:

(1-8): Marlen Walker, Sam Matavesi, Jack Andrew, Toby Freeman, Brett Beukeboom, Josh Caulfield, Tom Lawday, Tom Duncan (Capt);
(9-15): Alex Day, Laurence May, Dan Koster, Harry Strong, Pete Laverick, Alex O'Meara, Kyle Moyle.

Replacements: Christian Judge, Billy Keast, Chris Morgan, Rupert Cooper, Mike Pope, Will Cargill, Nicolas Coronel.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Polly Cotton
Novice

Post by Polly Cotton »

I saw Mr Logan hiding in the trees at the car park end of ground. Les and Niall Malone were there , but no sign of Gibbs or Peel, maybe they don't care that much about Academy players , I do recall Doak and Clark at any of the underage and A game when free even Anscombe made a few games in between bottles of Red. I thought the defence was a credit to the players and they really stood up,against a very physical team, who is in charge of defence for the A team ?
You may know my sister, Dot
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Maybe Gibbes had to fly home to NZ for something.

Afoa 2.0
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Scarlets beat by Hartpury. Ulster win group, between them and Bedford for last home QF spot. Bedford favs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Neill_M wrote:Scarlets beat by Hartpury. Ulster win group, between them and Bedford for last home QF spot. Bedford favs.

Really , what if Ulster lose to Llanelli, and Pirates get a bonus point win ? Surely Pirates win the group ?

Where is the Scarlets game being played, I wonder if the SWURSC will go en masse.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Polly Cotton
Novice

Post by Polly Cotton »

Anyone know here know where the game is, four of us are going to drive Rosslare to Fishguard, watch the A game in Wales then up the road Coventry
You may know my sister, Dot
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Scarlets beat by Hartpury. Ulster win group, between them and Bedford for last home QF spot. Bedford favs.

Really , what if Ulster lose to Llanelli, and Pirates get a bonus point win ? Surely Pirates win the group ?

Where is the Scarlets game being played, I wonder if the SWURSC will go en masse.
Scarlets game listed as being played at Church Bank Playing Fields in Llandovery.

Ulster have better head to head over the Pirates, 2 home wins with LBP for the losers but Ulster got a TBP and Pirates didn’t
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Leinster, Jersey Reds, Ealing and Bedford/Ulster will be at home in QF.

Runners up looking like Munster, Doncaster and Pirates.

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Neill_M wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

Scarlets game listed as being played at Church Bank Playing Fields in Llandovery.

Ulster have better head to head over the Pirates, 2 home wins with LBP for the losers but Ulster got a TBP and Pirates didn’t
Better head to head does not count ?

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document ... nglish.pdf