Jordi Murphy to Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Jordi Murphy to Ulster

Post by stickinout »

Dublin4 wrote:You ask about Moloney.
I hadn't heard he was moving to you but it makes sense.
Like James Ryan, he is a product of St Michael's but Ryan, who is younger, has gazumped him from being a second row regular for the blues.
Moloney is regarded as top notch in the line out.
Sorry to lose him to you but with Fardy, Ryan and Toner in place there's not much point keeping him.

No D4, i haven't heard anything about him moving, I was just asking and thinking he'd be a good acquisition for us..... Quick, somebody mention it to Bryn, we could do with a line out operator.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Cockatrice wrote:Within three posts we have someone asking about a Leinster second row to signing him..

now we know how rumours start......
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:24th March. v Ospreys.
So two full months since the man you signed as a second row last played in the second row

LR do what they want

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Prevents us getting one
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Russ wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:24th March. v Ospreys.
So two full months since the man you signed as a second row last played in the second row

LR do what they want

The one thing this throws up is the stellar rise of one James Ryan. He is now a serious operator and quickly becoming one of my favourite players. He wouldn't have been expected to have done so well when plans were laid for the purchase of Fardy. Saying that, i just looked at the leinster website and Fardy is described as a Flanker! So maybe you were right Russ!

Incidentally, I heard that young Ryan, after playing the final on Sunday, had to get stuck into the books for a college exam on the Monday! No bubbly for him. That's almost like the good ol days.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dublin4 wrote:Jordi made the right decision to move.
He just got lucky over the last few months that Heaslip retired, JVDF wrecked himself in the France match, Ruddock who was in a rich vein of form did his hamstring, SOB did, well, what SOB does, and even Conan was out for a while.

All being fit, the Leinster back row would be SOB, Conan/Ruddock and Leavy, with JVDF, passed out by Leavy, on the bench.
So Jordi would be facing into zero game time except against Italians or Southern Kings et al.
There are more young guys like Deegan and Josh Murphy on the proverbial Leinster conveyor belt coming through.

Far better for Jordi and Joe to have him performing at top level with Ulster.
Agreed - Jordi had a great run of form, but I think he was going to struggle to stay in the mix next season. In fact I think more back rows will have to 'do a Jordi' next season, such is the concentration of internationals there with class players coming through (Deegan and Doris).
..one more thing
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Columbo wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:Jordi made the right decision to move.
He just got lucky over the last few months that Heaslip retired, JVDF wrecked himself in the France match, Ruddock who was in a rich vein of form did his hamstring, SOB did, well, what SOB does, and even Conan was out for a while.

All being fit, the Leinster back row would be SOB, Conan/Ruddock and Leavy, with JVDF, passed out by Leavy, on the bench.
So Jordi would be facing into zero game time except against Italians or Southern Kings et al.
There are more young guys like Deegan and Josh Murphy on the proverbial Leinster conveyor belt coming through.

Far better for Jordi and Joe to have him performing at top level with Ulster.
Agreed - Jordi had a great run of form, but I think he was going to struggle to stay in the mix next season. In fact I think more back rows will have to 'do a Jordi' next season, such is the concentration of internationals there with class players coming through (Deegan and Doris).

I agree and think this has been ulster’s saving grace with this signing. Jordi got back into the big time for Leinster due to injuries, not outstanding form. Same with the Ireland side. Now fair play to him as he absolutely took his chances and has played superbly. What has also impressed me is that at times when the side have been struggling without first teamers, he has been the guy who has always taken it to the opposition....will be handy for when he is at ulster! :roll:

But at the end of the day you have Leavy, Conan, SOB, Fardy, Ruddock, VdF all stil there and who would oreviously have been ahead of him. If Jordi wasn’t getting the gametime in the big games there next season then he would quickly fall off Joe’s radar and miss the rwc. BOD’s advice would not look so clever then....

Anyway, great that he is coming to Ulster. :red:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I think it is great he is going to Ulster and not just for your sake but also we need to free up some space for the younger guys coming through. Caolan Doris, the captain of the u20s at the junior world cup next week, is a massive prospect, just to name one.
Some Leinster people are getting fed up with players leaving us to go to other provinces (Carberry to Munster?) but why keep players down the squad when they could be getting game time elsewhere? Long term, the rest of Ireland needs to get their various acts together and start producing more players of their own.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dublin4 wrote:I think it is great he is going to Ulster and not just for your sake but also we need to free up some space for the younger guys coming through. Caolan Doris, the captain of the u20s at the junior world cup next week, is a massive prospect, just to name one.
Some Leinster people are getting fed up with players leaving us to go to other provinces (Carberry to Munster?) but why keep players down the squad when they could be getting game time elsewhere? Long term, the rest of Ireland needs to get their various acts together and start producing more players of their own.
The other way to look at it is on a numbers basis Leinster should be turning out roughly the same amount of players as the other 3 provinces combined, if you use that criteria then it is not far away.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Or stop stealing players:

Jordi: Spain
Heaslip: Israel
Henshaw: Connacht
Ruddock: Wales
VDF: Dutch
Joey: Kiwi
Cronin: Shannon
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Dave wrote:Or stop stealing players:

Saw a trivia question once about a Murphy, Heaslip and VdF back row and VdF was the only one born in Ireland!

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:The other way to look at it is on a numbers basis Leinster should be turning out roughly the same amount of players as the other 3 provinces combined, if you use that criteria then it is not far away.
If you use province population Ulster should not be far behind Leinster. Munster has about half Leinster's pop and Connacht is half again.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:Or stop stealing players:

Heaslip's Da and uncle played for Shannon too. Most likely the reason he was so good. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Anyway I am all for sharing the players across the provinces. Ireland is a small place and should be a united land in rugby terms.

Though I also agree with D4 that all non-Leinster provinces should be doing more to develop players. ultimately everybody benefits from that.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:
Rooster wrote:The other way to look at it is on a numbers basis Leinster should be turning out roughly the same amount of players as the other 3 provinces combined, if you use that criteria then it is not far away.
If you use province population Ulster should not be far behind Leinster. Munster has about half Leinster's pop and Connacht is half again.
Ah but with our schools and politics up here we had a long period where around 40% of the population would have been scared to say they watched rugby never mind play it, thankfully in most areas that is now not the case
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:
Ah but with our schools and politics up here we had a long period where around 40% of the population would have been scared to say they watched rugby never mind play it, thankfully in most areas that is now not the case
Yes that is fair enough Rooster.

Same was true in Shannon Town back in the day as it was full of Nordies. Trevor Ringland scored a try in an Ireland game and folk were intimidated into not cheering it. Sad f-cking bástards.