Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: Replacement 10

Post by shamalicious »

Tedanica wrote:
Postby Eggs » Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm
I can’t be the only one who would feel sad to hear that Ruan is hanging up his boots early because the family aren’t happy in France?

Never mind the irony of him coming here as a coach when he could still add so much on the pitch
No you are not the only one I will be crying if he does hang up his boots right now and if his wife is pushing him ( Mrs Afoa syndrom?) she is not worth him.

Just read this :https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2 ... tory.shtml

Ruan Pienaar, un génie au sommet de sa forme et de son art.

Votre journal 100% numérique
Abonnez-vous dès 7.90€/mois

Il joue à son rythme, contrôle le tempo offensif de Montpellier et rien ne semble pouvoir le perturber. Décisif sur les deux premiers essais de son équipe et auteur de dix-sept points au pied (100% de réussite), Ruan Pienaar a brillé de mille feux vendredi : "Il faut s’assoir, le regarder jouer et prendre du plaisir", s’amuse Fulgence Ouedraogo.

in Google translation: A demonstration of strength, experience and control, embodied by an extraordinary player. Ruan Pienaar, a genius at the peak of his form and art.

He plays at his own pace, controls the offensive tempo of Montpellier and nothing seems to be able to disturb him. Decisive on the first two tries of his team and author of seventeen points to the foot (100% success), Ruan Pienaar shone a thousand lights on Friday: "We must sit, watch it play and have fun", funny Fulgence Ouedraogo.
Aye, let's blame the wife sure. Not that HE didn't want to leave Ulster and HE wants to come back or anything.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Does Ruan have his coaching qualifications yet?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cockatrice wrote:Does Ruan have his coaching qualifications yet?
That's irrelevant. He's Ulster through and through. Is Byrn qualified for his role? Who cares...jobs for the beys!!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

shamalicious wrote:Aye, let's blame the wife sure. Not that HE didn't want to leave Ulster and HE wants to come back or anything.

Careful Sham - You'll be branded a rabid feminist.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Tedanica
Novice

Post by Tedanica »

Aye, let's blame the wife sure. Not that HE didn't want to leave Ulster and HE wants to come back or anything.
Ruan is in the form of his life. French journalists have fallen in love with him after the latest game and his team mates admire him absolutely.
He is learning French and found his place as a leader of Montpellier team.

Retiring now is premature for sure and he can,t return to Ulster as a player . But as his wife has come back to Ulster with their kids, it must be very difficult for him to stay alone in France!

Sure one could expect his wife to support him. He could come back to Ulster as a coach but in a couple of years not now.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Without wishing to minimise the positives that having RP back in the fold would bring, how many world class backs make great coaches?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

He proved himself a great player but as yet has no coaching experience.. not what we need no matter what the Ruan effect..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:He proved himself a great player but as yet has no coaching experience.. not what we need no matter what the Ruan effect..
Coaching experience is vital in 95% of cases and under normal circumstances I would say it's a non-negotiable.
Ruan is not normal circumstances.
You get players who you just know are visionary and get the nuances of the game on a different level to normal mortals. Gregor Townsend was one and Ruan is of the same ilk.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Both Ruan and Jared have extensive experience of rugby outside of ulster which is a positive for me. However i still would be wary of loading up our frontline coaching team with ex players and especially recent ones.

Whilst Ruan is undoubtedly an ulster legend and great guy, ulster would need to think long and hard about what role to give him if he were to come back. I have heard a lot of good things in the past about how players have been learning from Jared Payne and he has always come across as an intelligent and visionary player who is also technically sound and organised.

So right now i would take Jared for the front line coaching team. Yes there should be a future role for Ruan if he wants it, butwhether he should be backs coach straight away i am not so sure.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:He proved himself a great player but as yet has no coaching experience.. not what we need no matter what the Ruan effect..
Coaching experience is vital in 95% of cases and under normal circumstances I would say it's a non-negotiable.
You get players who you just know are visionary and get the nuances of the game on a different level to normal mortals. Gregor Townsend was one and Ruan is of the same ilk.

On the other hand, Martin Johnston, a greater player than both, was a disaster as coach.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I don't imagine anyone is seriously suggesting Pienaar comes here as anything like a frontline coach.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Bogbunny wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

On the other hand, Martin Johnston, a greater player than both, was a disaster as coach.
Johnson's knowledge of the game was second to none apparently.
When he was offered the England job he asked Clive Woodward for advice.
Woodward urged him to come to Leicester and earn his stripes first but Johnson decided if he did that the opportunity to manage England might not be offered again.
Logic to his argument and the problem here is with the people who appointed him.

The rest is history and after the disastrous world cup Johnson probably decided there was easier ways to make a living.
Had he earned his stripes I have little doubt he would have been a very capable manager/coach and still could.
Lancaster is a prime current example of how to turn round such disaster as he is probably now one of the most sought after coaches in the game.

Regarding Ruan I think he has the tools to be a great coach with his understanding of the game.
I would see Ulster as that type of 'earning his stripes' job he could take before getting a proper one.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:
Tedanica wrote:
Postby Eggs » Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm
I can’t be the only one who would feel sad to hear that Ruan is hanging up his boots early because the family aren’t happy in France?

Never mind the irony of him coming here as a coach when he could still add so much on the pitch
No you are not the only one I will be crying if he does hang up his boots right now and if his wife is pushing him ( Mrs Afoa syndrom?) she is not worth him.

Just read this :https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2 ... tory.shtml

Ruan Pienaar, un génie au sommet de sa forme et de son art.

Votre journal 100% numérique
Abonnez-vous dès 7.90€/mois

Il joue à son rythme, contrôle le tempo offensif de Montpellier et rien ne semble pouvoir le perturber. Décisif sur les deux premiers essais de son équipe et auteur de dix-sept points au pied (100% de réussite), Ruan Pienaar a brillé de mille feux vendredi : "Il faut s’assoir, le regarder jouer et prendre du plaisir", s’amuse Fulgence Ouedraogo.

in Google translation: A demonstration of strength, experience and control, embodied by an extraordinary player. Ruan Pienaar, a genius at the peak of his form and art.

He plays at his own pace, controls the offensive tempo of Montpellier and nothing seems to be able to disturb him. Decisive on the first two tries of his team and author of seventeen points to the foot (100% success), Ruan Pienaar shone a thousand lights on Friday: "We must sit, watch it play and have fun", funny Fulgence Ouedraogo.

>appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl

Well said Shammy, I believe it was a dumb post by Tendacious but not intentionally malicious. Clearly, he has missed the point that if his family are unhappy, Ruan will be unhappy, irrespective of how well he is playing, he has given me the impression that nothing is more important than family.

I'd also hazard a guess that if the opportunity is there for him, he will happily sacrifice a year or two of play to get what he is looking for long-term when it is available rather than hope it may crop up again in the future.

All that apart, Winker says it's bullshite and he has a certain connection who should know - ask Cockers. :lol:

I hope Montpellier win the Top14, feck NoVisa, Ruan needs another medal to keep his world cup one company. Where is Nacewa's RWC medal? Well, he played less than 3 minutes for Fiji and never even touched the ball in international rugby. Chube.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

If Ruan were to come back and play for Ulster "voluntarily"*, can the IRFU really say no?

*with wages coming from non IRFU soures?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

He would still require to registered by the IRFU , who if it did not suit their purpose could deny registration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist