FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:And another super goal for Uruguay to go ahead again.. I'd be happy to see the small part of Spain go home.

We look (down) on Portugal rather like Columbia do on their former territory, now statelet, Panama.

Anyway, when people say to me Uruguay, I say, "yes, I am, as gay was the next man".
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Liz Fraser wrote:My favourite world cup was 1982 followed by Italia 90.
If this tournament continues the away it has I would say it could rival them.
Already better than every tournament since.

I thought the game tonight would be a dirge and I was wrong.
The quality of skill and goals today were amazing and the Uruguayan defence was a thing of beauty.
Loving it and there's so much more to come!
My pal Al knows a thing or two about association fitba, he told me before the thing started, "watch Uruguay, probably not good enough to win it but worth watching". Appears he really does know fitba.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Liz Fraser wrote:My favourite world cup was 1982 followed by Italia 90.
If this tournament continues the away it has I would say it could rival them.
Already better than every tournament since.

I thought the game tonight would be a dirge and I was wrong.
The quality of skill and goals today were amazing and the Uruguayan defence was a thing of beauty.
Loving it and there's so much more to come!
Strange. Most of the games in Italia 90 were dirges. Terrible tournament from a purely football perspective though better than 1994 and 2002 which were utterly woeful with 2006 not far behind.

I think the best tournament since 86 was in 1998. Granted I say that partly because the best team won that year. France have been the best team in at least 4 world cups but in some cases were beaten by the officials, some times beaten by negative play by the opposition and sometimes beaten by themselves. Even today they were by a long distance superior but still only won by 4-3 in the end. I love France so I don't care if I am biased. If they don't win this year I will say again that the best team did not win. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

Shan,
I totally agree with you especially the final which I had the pleasure of watching live in a bar in
Dunmore East in Co. Waterford with my (ex) wife when we were courting, full of love and booze and her wearing a skin tight France t shirt. Such a brilliant result.

A pity that we split, probably after I realised that I'm as gay as the next man and Baggy
and I became a Buddist monk.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Shan the reason I mentioned Italia 90 as my last favourite was mainly because the Republic and England did so well and because of the world in motion and Pavorrotti soundtracks.
Agree in terms solely of quality of actual matches, drama controversy etc a lot of the games were poor and that's how I framed it to be fair.

This tournament has been the best since 82 for those reasons.
That Brazil side from then was phenomenal but not just them but England, France, Germany, Italy, Poland even wee Norn Ireland had great teams that contained great players.
Some of those games were brilliant and I still vividly remember them.

Not sure I could say many of the sides this year are of that level but they could make names for themselves yet.
I would like to see a different winner but I will take France if they play in that manner.
To be fair even the dirge teams have really upped their game and are deciding to come out and play.
That's been the difference the quality has been allowed to rise to the top whereas previously it would have been sythed down in a Baresi swipe.

People get caught up on these pool game performances but as I said previously it's important in these tournaments you don't peak for them but just do enough to get through bit like France and Brazil this time round.
New Zealand have learned this in rugby that you conserve the emotional and physical energy for the bigger moments.
Get that wrong however and you are on a plane home a la Germany.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I've enjoyed every world cup that I've been able to watch. Some folk seem to demand that the matches must be wildly entertaining or they withdraw their admiration of the tournament. Knockout football is exciting in itself. I enjoy the chess match encounters as well and appreciate good defending as an art form.

This tournament has had it all and the best teams are emerging to the fore. I'm going for a Belguim vs Spain final.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Football was forever spoiled for those of us who were sentient creatures in 1970, obviously, Brazil of that year was the greatest attacking force ever seen, Jiarzinho, Gerson, Tostao, Pele & Revelino from 7-11 and I didn't need to look up the names, imprinted forever.

There was however so much more, Bobby Moore, the bracelet thief of Bogata, Pele almost scoring from his own half against Czechoslovakia, the sight of slapheaded Uwe Seeler letting one slip off the back of his pate past Peter Bonetti against England before Gerd Muller finished them off, to put them out, the classic 4-3 Italy triumph over Germany in the semi-final, but my greatest memory was the 4th Brazilian goal in the final, passed the length of the field then finally, Pele casually laying it off for the advancing captain & right back Carlos Alberto to smash it in and seal a great team's triumph in the most emphatic manner.

Everything after that has been ......... mixed, there was Arcanada Armstrong, but I liked the Italians in 1982. :D
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

That 70s world cup I was too young to remember Baggy but I love the old satellite footage from that time with echoy commentary.

There ultimate Dave style chess football match was the England Brazil pool match, the ultimate attackers v ultimate defenders bringing out the best in each other and the appreciation of a rival with the Moore Pele shirt swap image at the end.

Best goal ever Brazil's 4th v Italy in the final I agree Baggy
Best miss ever Peles dummy of the Uruguay keeper which I still wish in to this day.

That Brazil side led with five players who were number 10s for their clubs.
That's what I call attack minded and ultimately the best side ever.

Holland's 74 team would have rivalled them if they hadn't celebrated winning it before they actually did.
Same with Brazil 82 for that matter.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Much to agree with here. Brazil 70 showed why it's the 'beautiful game'. NI in 82 showed why it's great being from a minor nation... we've lived off it for a generation. With all the problems of contemporary sport, and they are very many, it is still a wonderful way to spend time and money. Beauty and unpredictability... not unlike SWMBO!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Well, well, well...

That half of the draw looks a little easier...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

If teams keep getting knocked out at this rate soon there will be nobody left.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Dave wrote:Well, well, well...

If Croatia slip it will be England's to lose to get to the final.
A world cup quarter final without Spain Germany Italy Holland and Argentina is unheard of.

Don't normally like teams playing for penalties but in Russia's case I'll make an exception.
Like Germany think Spain paid the price for hanging on to a few aging players and lacking pace within the squad.
England do have this and France certainly showed the way with the pace of their game and players.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spain got what they deserved. Too much gowlacting passing the ball around for no apparent reason. Russia aren't great but the team stuck together and battled it out.

Also it was enjoyable watching that pr1ck Ramos with his tears at the end. :lol:
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Liz Fraser wrote:
Dave wrote:Well, well, well...

If Croatia slip it will be England's to lose to get to the final.
A world cup quarter final without Spain Germany Italy Holland and Argentina is unheard of.

Don't normally like teams playing for penalties but in Russia's case I'll make an exception.
Like Germany think Spain paid the price for hanging on to a few aging players and lacking pace within the squad.
England do have this and France certainly showed the way with the pace of their game and players.
Can't see Croatia slipping. I'm now predicting a Belguim v Croatia final. Football is entering a new era with some new footballing nations now approaching greatness.