Freedom of Speech

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Freedom of Speech

Post by Jackie Brown »

No such thing as freedom of speech in the UK. Boris is in a position of power and influence, he shouldn't be coming out with nonsense that will fuel the far right.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Must have missed the part were Boris was arrested. He's a nobody with a little column and utterly desperate for attention.

According to Gammon logic, FoS is envoked when someone dares to object to anything they or their heroes say.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:No such thing as freedom of speech in the UK. Boris is in a position of power and influence, he shouldn't be coming out with nonsense that will fuel the far right.

Have you read what he said?
It's been taken completely out of context by the Mayites

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dave wrote:Must have missed the part were Boris was arrested. He's a nobody with a little column and utterly desperate for attention.

According to Gammon logic, FoS is envoked when someone dares to object to anything they or their heroes say.
Why would he be arrested?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Tender wrote:Anyone else amused by Mr Bean defending Boris’s Burqa Blunder?
IMO freedom of speech has been sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.
Have you read the article in full, I think not.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Dave wrote:Must have missed the part were Boris was arrested. He's a nobody with a little column and utterly desperate for attention.

Breach of: PC-liberal-lefty-Labour-moslem-Corbyn loves the RA-lock up our Tommy for no reason-trade union-we love terrorists-project fear-snowflake-millenial-apparently you can't rape your own wife-gay agenda law, ffs.

Free Boris.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

This isn't about freedom of speech I don't think anyone is saying he didn't have the freedom to make those remarks. It's about Boris (a member of HM govt and until recently, a cabinet Minister) making cheap jokes about the appearance of some of the UK citizens he represents. If he had made remarks about kilt wearing Scots or Hasidic Jews he would have got the same criticism. The debates about the wearing of the burqa and implications for womens rights and security are valid ones but Boris couldn't leave it at that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

#borisImage

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:

He shouldn't be unless being a total fu@kwit has been outlawed. On the other hand, we all know that the buffoon act is just that, an act. Despite appearances, every utterance is calculated from Johnson, he has not a single scruple, not conscience, not a care in the world other than that what he chooses to do will be another plank in his bid to one day become PM. He is actually a very dangerous citizen, limitless ambition and a total lack of interest in the wellbeing of the nation is what characterises him.

I regard him as one of the truly dangerous people in UK politics for he cares for nothing but his own future. The cultivated buffoon act something that in the eyes of too many, gives him the "good old Boris, there's no harm in him" routine" whereas the truth is he is more to be despised than even that other arch-goon Rees Mogg, and he is a truly cringeworthy fossil.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

Jackie Brown wrote:No such thing as freedom of speech in the UK. Boris is in a position of power and influence, he shouldn't be coming out with nonsense that will fuel the far right.

bollicks,He is just telling the truth that you liberals can’t handle
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Vanhelsing wrote:

It's boll0cks. If he made a racist comment about Jewish people or black people would that be ok too.

Last edited by Jackie Brown on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Vanhelsing wrote:

I'm always willing to give a notion a fair hearing before pronouncing on its veracity. Go ahead big lad, explain what your understanding of this "truth" is, that apparently, liberals cannot understand. I have to warn you, I'm blinding with the truth. >EW

I look forward to hearing this. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Saw 2 postboxes on the tube today

Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Vanhelsing wrote:

I'm always willing to give a notion a fair hearing before pronouncing on its veracity. Go ahead big lad, explain what your understanding of this "truth" is, that apparently, liberals cannot understand. I have to warn you, I'm blinding with the truth. >EW

I look forward to hearing this. :D
Just picking up on something that has crept into the language when someone is refered to as having "their" truth.
As in "thanks for coming in and sharing your truth" on US chat shows.
This is of course nonsense.
There's only THE truth.
It's another way of trying not to offend people by saying that their interpretation on a version of events might be absolute cack and they are entitled to speak freely.

Then there's the other end of the scale.
Don't confuse Boriss language with some truth.
I mean why not go up to a mentally handicapped person and call them retards or spasmos.
It's the truth innit?
It's because anyone with any sense of empathy would know that it's insensitive and we should endeavour to use language that does not unnecessarily inflict hurt and offence when appropriate.
This even should apply to members of parliament and former foreign secretaries.

As usual there's both ends of the scale when it comes to topics like this.
As usual the correct way to behave is somewhere near the middle.
This is where you usually discover an ever scarce commodity often referred to as common sense.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Liz, I agree with more or less all of that but this "truth" business is a funny thing. I think the simplest way to explain it is that the word is horribly misused, Van Helsing, is a classical example, though as I am genuinely interested in what he understands this particular "truth" to be, so won't go into detail.

What many use "truth" for is actually "version of events", for example, get 5 witnesses to a bank robbery in which they were caught up and you will more than likely get 5 different descriptions of events and participants. None of the witnesses is lying, each one telling the truth as they think they recall it, but clearly, there are not 5 different "truths" in the commonly accepted definition/understanding of the word.

It is probably fair to say that "truth" in what any politician says can be defined as "partially true" at best, containing elements which are true.

A Trump supporter or Ulster fan, believes that no journalist ever tells "the truth" yet you must be incredibly stupid to believe that is factual. It was my fellow gay man and our dear friend Butch Oscar who said, "the truth is rarely pure and never simple". Oscar knew his onions.

Still, I await Van's response with enthusiasm.