Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by Dave »

I can't hear anything over the sound of me not giving a f*ck.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I wish to be the first - DAN OUT. >EW

Couldn't pick his nose.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I wish to be the first - DAN OUT. >EW

Couldn't pick his nose.
Doubt that he had a lot to do with team selection this week Baggy. Usually you'll give a new coach at least a month or two before calling for him to be castrated or whatever. McFarland must have shagged both the lovely Mrs Trousers as well as your good self, being as gay as the next man, or committed an equally virulent misdemeanour. >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rocky wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I wish to be the first - DAN OUT. >EW

Couldn't pick his nose.
Doubt that he had a lot to do with team selection this week Baggy. Usually you'll give a new coach at least a month or two before calling for him to be castrated or whatever. McFarland must have shagged both the lovely Mrs Trousers as well as your good self, being as gay as the next man, or committed an equally virulent misdemeanour. >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop
So .... perhaps it is as you say.

Maybe Dan was trying to pick his nose and chose the wrong orifice ....

Which would explain Baggy wanting him out (of orifice), and stating that he (Dan) is unable to pick his nose.

Like.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Very good gents, very good :roll: ......... DAN OUT.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote: McFarland must have shagged both the lovely Mrs Trousers as well as your good self, being as gay as the next man, or committed an equally virulent misdemeanour. >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop
NEWS FLASH

Malone legend ROCKY, outs Dan McFarland as being as gay as me. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, let me change my tune a little: Dan's OUT. >seeya >seeya >seeya
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
rocky wrote: McFarland must have shagged both the lovely Mrs Trousers as well as your good self, being as gay as the next man, or committed an equally virulent misdemeanour. >jawdrop >jawdrop >jawdrop
NEWS FLASH

Malone legend ROCKY, outs Dan McFarland as being as gay as me. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, let me change my tune a little: Dan's OUT. >seeya >seeya >seeya
>appl >appl >appl >appl >appl
Bo***cks to Brexit
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Could his every inch words backfire or will he be the man to instill a hard edge to Ulster Rugby? Discuss....
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:Could his every inch words backfire or will he be the man to instill a hard edge to Ulster Rugby? Discuss....
If someone is looking for a rod to beat him with, then yes. I have no problem with his choice of words......

so far..........
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Heard Dan has already ruffled a few feathers... excellent
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:Heard Dan has already ruffled a few feathers... excellent
In D4?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
In D4?
He was doing a spot of plucking for Rooster between jobs........
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Was at the meet the coaches event tonight and like I did with Bryn here is a rather detailed breakdown on what happened;

Dan McFarland
Q: How involved were you during the Summer?
I was "still" assistant coach to Scotland though alot of people didn't want me there. I had limited exposure to the players, was mainly through calls and e-mails but managed to sneak over a couple of times in disguise!

Q: Was the Ulster job too good to turn down?
I originally applied for the Connacht job after Eric Elwood retired, I thought then I was ready for the head coaching job and I was absolutely gutted when I didn't get it and Pat Lam did. My agent gave me good advice at the time and not to worry. I knew after one month after working with Pat that I was not ready. I left Connacht as I knew I had to learn more. It was a two way conversation with Ulster, they needed to know more about me and me about them. I new very quickly that was 100% the right job, a great opportunity.

Q: What was actually said to you?
Everyone knows that last year was a difficult period for the club, said a few people said there was a "cloud over the club". That does not mean that everything underneath the cloud is wrong. Bryn was very enthusiastic about the people, employees, coaching staff and academy. And that's not even mentioning the obvious, a full stadium every Friday night. There is a legacy of success at Ulster and it is historically a successful organisation.

Q: What about your coaching team?
All brilliant, made him feel very welcome.
Jared - Natural coach, transition is never easy going from player to coach (having done so myself), it's not the knowledge of the game that's the difficult part but the teaching.
Soper - Met months ago, in charge of the crucial personal development of players. Taking a lead role in ensuring that Ulster players are playing for Ulster, very important.

Q: What about the Academy?
Very impressive. Talked about Eric O'Sullivan and Tom O'Toole as young fellows who are catching his eye. Can take 3/4/5 years for a prop to develop to their peak but what they are right now is impressive. Also named checked Stewart Moore and Jonny Stewart.

Q: How involved were you in signings?
Had a few secret conversations with Bryn! over the Summer. Mainly about the 10 position. There was alot of uncertainty regarding Carbery and what he was going to do but felt it worth waiting for the correct option instead of rushing into something. Felt Bryn has done a great job in getting Billy Burns in, especially as he is Irish qualified.

Q: On injuries.
It's a long season and the squad has to be utilised carefully. Even if you get injured, you should come in on Monday with a job to do it, be it on the treatment table or helping out fellow players. Injuries can be a great opportunity for someone else.

Q: On IRFU Player Management
Interesting dynamic but ultimately very successful. Over the course of the season you would have to rest players anyway.

Q: On Coetzee sin bin v Wasps.
Was watching it in the stands and saw Marcell absolutely monster someone at the break down and thought it was awesome. Then saw him go off and asked Jared what had happened and he said he had been yellow carded. Asked the ref at half time and he said that he came in recklessly, off his feet, without using his arms against someone not at the ruck. I disagreed, Watched it back later and saw that he definitely did go in recklessly, off his feet, without using his arms against someone not in the ruck. Sent an e-mail to the ref to apologise.

Q: What brand of rugby do you want to play?
Wants to play a fast paced and forward orientated game. Does not feel that one cancels out the other. Obviously has seen how to develop it at Connacht and Glasgow but have to mould it first and take it step by step. Starts with defence, Jared has already started putting new things in but wants to play a fast paced game.

Q: Player's Mentality?
Positive, excited and alot of anticipation for the new season. Feels there is alot of resilience in the squad, especially after going through such a difficult year.

Q: Opinion of Belfast?
Hasn't had a chance to go around too much yet. Though stated that his grandfather was from here and grew up watching Ireland in the five nations. Rugby hero when growing up was Trevor Ringland, which is why naturally he became a prop.

Jared Payne
Q: On retirement
Extremely tough, difficult to stop doing what you love but coaching is the next best thing.

Q: On player relationships
Used to be extremely vocal on the pitch so players are used to seeing his angry side anyway. Feels that with alot of the senior players leaving this has helped him as the younger players don't have the same personal history.

Q: On defensive structures
Feels that the entire group slacked off in defence last year, need more effort and not just on a Friday night but 7 days per week. Got to have pride in the line. He has to remember that as a coach he now has to deal with 40 players so has to mould his own ways of doing things.

Q: On pre-season
Has been very refreshing, feels in previous years the players have cruised alot as they know what would be happening next all the time. Been a fresh start and with a keenness to learn from all. Young players are showing alot of resilience.

Dan McFarland
Q: On young players
Retention of young players is more important than recruitment. Have to maximise the ability to keep players by creating a good environment, be it winning, social, cultural or other. There is an art of coaching, Leinster players would be treated differently than Stade Francais, have to adapt the philosophy.

Dan Soper
Q: How excited are you?
Definitie wow factor the first couple of weeks, very strange planning sessions with Jared Payne having watched him from the terraces as a season ticket holder for the past few years. Skills are not that different from schools/clubs game but what is different is the pressure that you are under as there is less time.

Q: On Ulster's Schools
Great to see schools players coming through the seniors, discussed Darren Cave coming through from his time at Sullivan. Felt Brian McLaughlin definitely paved the way for someone like him to take a job like this. If he could do it, so could I.

Q: On pre-season
It's the best pre-season from a professional rugby team that he has seen! But the players are showing a great attitude and not just the young players, seeing the likes of Rory Best and Jacob Stockdale come to him and discuss ways they want to improve shows a great example.

Then came questions from the floor, most were answered by McFarland;

Q: Asked about Schmidt at pre-season
Has known him for a number of years and is an exceptional coach. A brilliant sounding board, gets great advice from all Ireland coaches. Extremely important for the players to see Schmidt at the touchline, especially those who want to get into Ireland squads, nothing like having him at the sidelines watching on.

Q: When can we next expect a European final?
Obviously have to go one step at a time. He has a real hunger to get another European final
jersey for this club but need to get every step on the way right.

Q: Comparing Ulster Schools with Leinster Schools
Soper: obviously there is a substantial difference in population, but the U-18 schools side is doing extremely well, winning the interpros last year and narrowly missing out this year. Feels we have to maximise what we have.

McFarland: Population cannot be the be all and end all. Lets talk about what we do have. The facilities here are better and the fan base is better. As a visiting coach he always saw a difference between the RDS on a Friday night and Ravenhill on a Friday night. With less population we can be much more specific with our needs, with a bigger population you could get swamped.

Q: Can psychology be coached?
Jared Payne is always good on head stuff! Has a psychology background and it can definitely be coached. All about simulating situations while preparing. Difficult to coach belief.

Q: What changed in the final few matches of last season?
Payne: Difficult to name one thing that changed, obviously one or two things happened which seemed to galvanise the group. Ignored the media and the players were challenged to look at your team mate in the eyes after a game and thing if you have done everything you can.

Q: After watching the All Blacks in the last few weeks and seeing how important it is, which coach is in charge of transition from defence to attack?
Extremely important in the modern game. All coaches are involved, Jared in charge of defensive skills and the kick/chase. Peel is involved in Attack and turn overs. He is overseeing all of this as head coach. Has to all be moulded into one.

Q: On strength and depth during international periods
Have to build this through the younger players. Says there is two changing rooms in training, everything is in caps order which the players run (1pt for Ulster cap, 3pts for Ireland cap). Rory Best is obviously first but Henderson is 4th and he still considers him to be a young player! Shows how much of an opportunity there is for young players.

Q: Only using young players when there are injuries and not giving them a chance to bed in with experience.
Obviously the preference would be to bed them in with experienced players but sometimes due to injury it's just not possible. Sometimes you just have to go to the depth chart and say that the next guy is up. All about combinations and who works well together.

Q: On Scarlets
I would choose to play them the first game of the season, want to play against a top team. Will show up things that we aren't getting quite right. Want the team team to fight for every inch, that is non-negotiable, this isn't just coming from him but the other players and coaches. Wants all the players to show competitiveness and hopes to see it this weekend.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:
In D4?
nope among the players - nobody on a pedestal..
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:
Dave wrote:
In D4?
nope among the players - nobody on a pedestal..
Good, they would probably fall off and do their ACL.