All Ireland Finals

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: All Ireland Finals

Post by Dave »

The Dubs are running away with it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Dubs a class apart. Gaelic football is suffering. A few elite teams and the rest are a mess.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

As expected Dublin win easily enough. Tyrone started well but once Dublin got going there was only going to be one winner. That being said fair play to Tyrone for sticking with it and making some kind of a game of it.

4 in a row and no reason they can't add a 5th next year.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Hateful shower of Mexican kuntz
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
theodddropgoal
Novice

Post by theodddropgoal »

Glad to see Tyrone beat, even by Dublin.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Shan wrote:As expected Dublin win easily enough. Tyrone started well but once Dublin got going there was only going to be one winner. That being said fair play to Tyrone for sticking with it and making some kind of a game of it.

Shan, if Dublin are so far ahead of everybody else, is it a money thing or a big population thing or just the swings and roundabouts. Will they run out of steam so that somebody else will take over in the next year or two or have they some sort of built in advantage?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote:
Shan wrote:As expected Dublin win easily enough. Tyrone started well but once Dublin got going there was only going to be one winner. That being said fair play to Tyrone for sticking with it and making some kind of a game of it.

Shan, if Dublin are so far ahead of everybody else, is it a money thing or a big population thing or just the swings and roundabouts. Will they run out of steam so that somebody else will take over in the next year or two or have they some sort of built in advantage?
Croke Park in Dublin, they play every championship game at home.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
solidarity wrote:

Croke Park in Dublin, they play every championship game at home.
Tyrone made a real effort to get as many fans in the hill as possible. Mayo did the same last year. You could see a fairly big red and white contingent in there but it made no difference.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

solidarity wrote:

Stephen Cluxton said in his victory speech that it had nothing to do with finances and population. It does seem to have everything to do with finances and population though. If Dublin win next year again they will make history as the first county to win 5 in a row. It seems like football sides go through dominant spells like Kerry in the 70s and 80s. There doesn't appear to be any real rivals for Dublin though for the forseeable future.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

solidarity wrote:

It is really just swings and roundabouts. This Dublin team, while excellent, has been fortunate that Kerry have dropped off the pace. Also Dublin beat Mayo in 2 finals by a single point each time. Mayo being well known bottlers. A lot of people are now wanting Dublin split into 2 counties because they have a population advantage. It's nonsense. They weren't saying it when Dublin failed to win after 1995 until they finally managed it in 2011.

In Hurling Kilkenny have won 11 finals since 2000. Their county population is less than 100,000.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
solidarity wrote:

It is really just swings and roundabouts. This Dublin team, while excellent, has been fortunate that Kerry have dropped off the pace. Also Dublin beat Mayo in 2 finals by a single point each time. Mayo being well known bottlers. A lot of people are now wanting Dublin split into 2 counties because they have a population advantage. It's nonsense. They weren't saying it when Dublin failed to win after 1995 until they finally managed it in 2011.

In Hurling Kilkenny have won 11 finals since 2000. Their county population is less than 100,000.
I take leave to accuse you of a degree, but only a degree, of bullshite. I watch the hurling final - a proper game - and discussed why GAA Soccer is so shyte, with an ex-county hurler, albeit Fermanagh, but he can't help where he was born.

His opinion was that given the wider range of sports getting young mucksavages up in the morning, including rugby, that the huge population of Dublin has does indeed give an advantage, compared to the diluted numbers that most smaller counties have. In his esteemed opinion, football is dying in most counties and there is no opposition barring the occasional upstart, none of whom are likely to last.

There you have it, a more considered opinion from a Fenian, more qualified than my uneducated opinion. You may well think it bullshite, but to me, it seems to have a certain logic to it compared to your nonsense about it not being said 20 years ago. I''d say much has changed in 20 years ..........even in the sporting wing of the IRA.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Realistically only about a half a dozen teams have got a chance of winning the Sam Maguire. Some counties may have a good year and win 2 or 3 games but when it comes down to the wire you can't look past the Dublin, Kerry and Tyrones of this world. Take Fermanagh for instance. They have never even won a Provincial final. They have a small playing panel to pick from. The population of the county is around 50k people. Divide that by 4 to remove the Prods and the females and you are down to 12500 people. Then out of that 12500 you have to discount everyone outside the 18 to 35 years age bracket. Of those remaining probably 50 per cent are as big as a busted sofa and unable to play sport of any kind.
Fermanagh are lucky to get 15 men out on a pitch, never mind win an all Ireland.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

When do the backdoor teams get back in?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kilkenny is full of mad feckers that's why they win the murderball
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:When do the backdoor teams get back in?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Backdoor teams? That's a BT headline waiting to happen.