Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Post by BaggyTrousers »

boyg wrote:Unlike many on this forum I was prepared to go and support our team in Thomond on Saturday despite the team selection which would suggest a very long night – which it was.
However, I think we need to put the game in perspective, starting with a 5 day turnaround after a 6 hour bus drive and 2 ten hour flights back from Johannesburg. Undoubtedly this took its toll on many of the players in the latter part of the game. We then have an endless list of injuries forcing the promotion of very young inexperienced academy players and a selection which looked more like an A team against a fully loaded Munster side on the rebound from a defeat against Cardiff. We then were certainly not helped by a very inexperienced and totally inept person with a whistle. If that wasn’t enough stacked against us, Munster get a very fortuitous bounce of the ball following a ricochet to open the scoring followed by our most experienced player on the pitch getting bounced by Tommy O’Donnell. Within 8 minutes we are chasing the game.
We didn’t lose the game because of the referee but he did nothing to rein in Peter O’Mahony at the breakdown evidenced by the penalty conceded at the very next breakdown. Injuries to Henderson and Cooney in short order simply added to the inevitable. As a footnote, why master Jones felt the need to yellow card John Andrew at that stage of the match for a very innocuous and marginal late tackle to which he was committed is beyond me. Needless to say with 14 very tired players the floodgates opened. I can tell you it was hard viewing those last 10 minutes. Even then our misfortune did not end. Andy Conway’s foot was clearly in touch in the lead up to the last try and it would not have been allowed had it been referred to the TMO.
I spoke to a couple of the players after the game and I can assure you that they were hurting. They were aware they had let the fans down but the suggestion by some posters that it was through lack of effort or ‘pride in the shirt’ is simply insulting.
We have to face up to the fact that with our current injury list the next few weeks is going to be very tough. Like Cockatrice says we have to see this as a work in progress. I for one will continue to support our players through these tough times. I am amazed that some are already calling for JP’s head 4 matches in. With the injuries and changes I am not sure what people expect. Next they will be calling for Cavey’s head for missing a tackle!
Well done Sir, a lesson there for many of the panty wetting dullards who rush to condemn, at the drop of a hat, a very weakened side against more or less a full Munster team who were itching to take out their frustrations having themselves been humiliated the previous weak. Would that Ulster had something approaching full strength this coming weak, they don't and it too may be a rough ride.

I suggest you post more often if you can be bothered ......one slight request, old duffers like me find it easier to read in paragraphs.

But, good on you, you saw the obvious and are right in all respects, some "regulars" take note and stop whinging. I was very very drunk whilst watching in a bar in Spain having been there for 7 hours before KO, but to me, nobody gave up, no heads went down other than some Warren Gatland here who feel it is them who are hurt by this sort of thing rather than the players who they think don't give a toss.

Finally, nobody should be worried about Cave's head, it's his thumb that's the problem and he played over 70 minutes with it in that state.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

That's one of the best posts of all time, boyg.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
boyg wrote:Unlike many on this forum I was prepared to go and support our team in Thomond on Saturday despite the team selection which would suggest a very long night – which it was.
However, I think we need to put the game in perspective, starting with a 5 day turnaround after a 6 hour bus drive and 2 ten hour flights back from Johannesburg. Undoubtedly this took its toll on many of the players in the latter part of the game. We then have an endless list of injuries forcing the promotion of very young inexperienced academy players and a selection which looked more like an A team against a fully loaded Munster side on the rebound from a defeat against Cardiff. We then were certainly not helped by a very inexperienced and totally inept person with a whistle. If that wasn’t enough stacked against us, Munster get a very fortuitous bounce of the ball following a ricochet to open the scoring followed by our most experienced player on the pitch getting bounced by Tommy O’Donnell. Within 8 minutes we are chasing the game.
We didn’t lose the game because of the referee but he did nothing to rein in Peter O’Mahony at the breakdown evidenced by the penalty conceded at the very next breakdown. Injuries to Henderson and Cooney in short order simply added to the inevitable. As a footnote, why master Jones felt the need to yellow card John Andrew at that stage of the match for a very innocuous and marginal late tackle to which he was committed is beyond me. Needless to say with 14 very tired players the floodgates opened. I can tell you it was hard viewing those last 10 minutes. Even then our misfortune did not end. Andy Conway’s foot was clearly in touch in the lead up to the last try and it would not have been allowed had it been referred to the TMO.
I spoke to a couple of the players after the game and I can assure you that they were hurting. They were aware they had let the fans down but the suggestion by some posters that it was through lack of effort or ‘pride in the shirt’ is simply insulting.
We have to face up to the fact that with our current injury list the next few weeks is going to be very tough. Like Cockatrice says we have to see this as a work in progress. I for one will continue to support our players through these tough times. I am amazed that some are already calling for JP’s head 4 matches in. With the injuries and changes I am not sure what people expect. Next they will be calling for Cavey’s head for missing a tackle!
All fair enough, but did you enjoy the game?
I can assure you it wasn't as painful after a 7-hour lead-in with innumerable pints and two meals in the build up.

Amigos, Roldan, I salute you, as indeed I salute the two other members of Los Tres Amigos who flew over for the very very long weekend, cheers lads. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Hamsterdam
Novice

Post by Hamsterdam »

A Clive Woodward coached England side lost an international to Australia 76-0 in 1996. Imagine that today....

Some of that young English team went on to be world cup winners & British Lions including a 19 year old Jonny Wilkinson. Some players disappeared from that level. Time will tell for our guys. I have full confidence that this experience will benefit some of our future stars in the longer term.

Long runs the fox Munster, long runs the fox....

SUFTUM
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow
loosehead1984
Initiate

Post by loosehead1984 »

As far as I can see this is Ulster’s largest defeat ever. Previous biggest appears to have been 56 to 3 against Wasps in 1997. :fleg:
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

loosehead1984 wrote:As far as I can see this is Ulster’s largest defeat ever. Previous biggest appears to have been 56 to 3 against Wasps in 1997. :fleg:
it was - only the second time we have ever conceded more than 60, and more than 6 tries. A bad night, but I'm very much in the boyg camp. I think if those two teams play ten weekends in a row, we only get thrashed like that once - as boyg says on top of less than ideal set up with the travel and injuries, we weren't helped by unfortunate bounce of the ball / dumb missed tackle for the first 14 points. To make things worse we had Dan Jones, who must be the weakest, most easily-intimidated ref in the game - not that it makes much difference, but the last play of the first half should have been a pen and a yellow, POM clearly in from the side at a ruck playing the ball before one of their tries, ludicrous yellow to Andrew which wasn't even a pen, plus another half-dozen soft decisions.

And then the crowning insult was having to listen to Liam Toland masturbating for 80 minutes, he really is the absolute worst co-commentator.

A bad night, which still makes me feel slightly ill thinking about it, but doesn't change things a great deal. We learned that Munster will handily beat Ulster A at home - who knew? I like what McFarland says, pain is good, you learn from pain. As someone else said (apologies I've just skimmed the last couple of pages) a couple of seasons ago we would have had Windsor in the squad for that match, this time we have Lowry and Curtis, that is a good thing. Much though I don't like the idea of writing off seasons, it's only realistic to accept that there is quite a steep learning curve for youngsters breaking into the pro game - the important thing is that you have the right youngsters, and I genuinely believe we do - so by the end of this season we should have a fair few 19-21 year olds with quite a few miles on the clock
..one more thing