Ulster v Leicester

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster v Leicester

Post by Tender »

Solvite is on offer at B&Q...
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fear not LJ I have a vision of something very different, I remember us winning in 2004 against the Leicester Pussycats in a game
As much as I like To'T he can be terrific around the park but if he cannot lock down a scrum he won't make it as a tight head prop. Yes rugby has changed over the years but the winning of the set piece has always been key. If either Moore or Ah You are fit I believe we need to start them at tight head. We cannot afford to continually give away scrum penalties resulting in yards lost or the conceding of points, nevermind the psychological damage that it can do. I'm not laying the demise of our scrum solely at TO'T door but the tight head position is the cornerstone therefore believe we need to start there.
Not sure TO'T can be fully blamed for the scrum, Warwick was under as much strain/pressure, throw in our 2nd row. He was also up against one of the most destructive Looseheads on the Island for god only knows how many year. He's still young and with majority of our squad still gaining experience. Time people put this in perspective, TO'T is vgood but it be a season or two before he's mature for us.

Any solution that involves Ah You is insane, yet to play a senior game this season and has never been with the pace when he did. Kane to start with O'Toole to come on and add tempo. Moore is fit, but worry about match fitness.

Hoping for a Rea, Deysel& Coetzee backrow. With TImoney/Reidy to add some impact.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

launish116 wrote: Time people put this in perspective, TO'T is vgood but it be a season or two before he's mature for us.

Any solution that involves Ah You is insane, yet to play a senior game this season and has never been with the pace when he did. Kane to start with O'Toole to come on and add tempo. Moore is fit, but worry about match fitness.

Hoping for a Rea, Deysel& Coetzee backrow. With TImoney/Reidy to add some impact.
[/quote]

Aye myladdy, them that dies will be the lucky ones...Arrrr. Meanwhile back on dry land...

Totally agree re Heh-You, but I’ve come to conclusion that Deysel is a sentient enema.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

launish116 wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Fear not LJ I have a vision of something very different, I remember us winning in 2004 against the Leicester Pussycats in a game
As much as I like To'T he can be terrific around the park but if he cannot lock down a scrum he won't make it as a tight head prop. Yes rugby has changed over the years but the winning of the set piece has always been key. If either Moore or Ah You are fit I believe we need to start them at tight head. We cannot afford to continually give away scrum penalties resulting in yards lost or the conceding of points, nevermind the psychological damage that it can do. I'm not laying the demise of our scrum solely at TO'T door but the tight head position is the cornerstone therefore believe we need to start there.
Not sure TO'T can be fully blamed for the scrum, Warwick was under as much strain/pressure, throw in our 2nd row. He was also up against one of the most destructive Looseheads on the Island for god only knows how many year. He's still young and with majority of our squad still gaining experience. Time people put this in perspective, TO'T is vgood but it be a season or two before he's mature for us.

Ummmm agree..... Buckley is not the first tighthead prop however to destroy TO'T this season, I'm hoping he can come good with age..... like many others in the team with potential, certainly not writing him off.

We played with 13 and then 14 for the entire second half against the westies. The theory would be if thon imposter of a rugby player Ah You does absolutely nothing else than lock down the scrum, we are in a better place already than last week.

Rea got a red card on Friday night luanish >burp .... I would be surprised to see him. He'll at least get a week ban.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

If the committee see the evidence and take into consideration it’s his 1st offence, he may well be available.
Given he plays for Ulster and he’s automatically a Nordibastard, he could be banned for six months.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The scrum is where Dan needs to earn his corn this week. It goes beyond just the props and I think our flankers need to do more to help out. Note how POM illegally binded on his prop to shore that side up and you see where we come up short in the smarts. Rea is a big unit but at times he seems too scared of being caught out off the scrum than concentrating on helping the front row.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Dave wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Johnny May out injured, doubts on Denton and Tom Youngs who picked up knocks.
Is that it?
Ellis Genge is still out on a longer term problem, Polotu Nau had a hamstring pull in Australia, hoping that Vieanu will be fit and might make the bench. Think Gareth Owen is still out injured as is Kitchener.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

tigerburnie wrote:
Dave wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Johnny May out injured, doubts on Denton and Tom Youngs who picked up knocks.
Is that it?
Ellis Genge is still out on a longer term problem, Polotu Nau had a hamstring pull in Australia, hoping that Vieanu will be fit and might make the bench. Think Gareth Owen is still out injured as is Kitchener.
We need a good few back to prevent things from getting embarrassing. Our injury list was sitting around 19 players at one point.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
LUMBERJACK wrote:Watched the leicester game this afternoon , we will be roundly hammered I think . They are not that great but position for position they are better across the field with the exception maybe of Henderson.

The have a front five a capacity to think on their feet in broken play and exploit defensive weakness. Very similar to Connaught in many ways . We have none of these.
Fear not LJ I have a vision of something very different, I remember us winning in 2004 against the Leicester Pussycats in a game we had no right to win. A team filled with English world cup hereos with a sprinkling of overseas international stars and led by one of the hardest bar steward of the professional game in Martin Johnson. We put them out the gate with a 33-0 win. We had a second row pairing of Mutschin and Frost no worldbeatrs but honest grafters, they like the rest of that team played like men possessed that day...... European games at home have never been a problem for Ulster, we have exceeded expectation in the past and will again I am sure.

Gilroy was not listed amongst the wounded in last weeks injury update therefore hopefully he will be back to cover wing or fullback. Addison was touch and go last week therefore with a bit of fortune both these guys putting on the shirt would significantly strengthen the backline. If not I would query why we haven't gave Burns a run at fullback, a position he is comfortable in and give McPhillips the out half berth. I think we would be stronger with a 10 McP / 15 Burns than a 10 Burns 15 Nelly.

What this young team does have is guts and dog, the booksmarts hopefully will come as they learn their trade..... guts, dog and a Saturday 5.30pm boisterous :stout: Ulster crowd (crowd was terrible on Friday night, no soul) has seen us home in Europe before and may just do again.

As I have said before and restate this season was never going to be about Europe, having said that not losing at home has to be a benchmark any young team should be aspiring to.

Can we win on Saturday, certainly! Will I be bothered if we don't? No, not if we put in a performance only to be beaten by the more streetwise team. I still feel despite the injuries we are not too far away from clicking and giving some team an absolute pasting. Sort the set piece out Ulster.

I'm certainly not mentally accepting a defeat or being roundly hammered before a shot is fired. We may not be the team that we have been in previous years but we should as minimum have a bit of pride in ourselves.
Mustchin & Frost eh? Frostie probably had greater highs.................... but never on a rugby pitch. January 2004, the demon Dr Paisley outside as it was played on a Sunday and Leicester were lucky to get nil as the old saying goes. Johnston was wearing the 19 shirt that day, Tigers clearly thought he would not be needed, I always hated Johnston, which for an England player is the closest I'll come to a mark of respect, but from memory even in defeat, I believe he stood around the back of the stand for ages signing autographs for all and sundry.

Andy Ward scored twice, I can't remember who scored the third but pretty sure it was Shane Stewart who cut a clever angle off fullback called Paddy Wallace's break for the fourth and we all went apeshit with joy. I hate to add that Tigers put an even bigger margin on us in the back to back game the following week.

I hate to mention this given Connacht got the monkey off their backs this week but the only ever away win in the 8 games between us and Tigers was when we won 6 out of 6 in 2014.

So, borrowing from Monty Python, and with no personal animosity LJ, it's just too good to miss:

I'm a Lumberjack and I talk shyte
The whole of Ulster hope I'm not right.

In truth, I've no idea, haven't seen Tigers this season, and much will depend on who Ulster can field, many of the so-called big hitters have had little or no rugby. That said, we can win this, depends on who is fit and at least it will not be the appalling Andrew Brace reffing.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Rea got a red card on Friday night luanish >burp .... I would be surprised to see him. He'll at least get a week ban.
You are almost certainly correct 9, though stranger things have happened, it may just be one of those calls where they decide a red was unlucky and sufficient punishment of itself. In my view, it was a ludicrous decision, biased though I may well be.

Then, of course, we had the recent 6 weeks suspension for stamping on a head, albeit that head really deserved what if got based on 2 factors: 1) the head belonged to a Mexican of Belgian extraction, and in my view, it should be open season on Mexican heads 2) The owner of the head was holding the offending leg or perhaps the standing leg, leg partner to the stamping leg, and so my dear friends, Van der Flier got very much what all cheating sons of bitches deserve.

In conclusion, Rea was wrongly sent off, Brace yourselves, so should be free to play if selected.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

tigerburnie wrote:
Dave wrote:
Is that it?
I'll have you know that Lord Kitchener drowned at sea. Dan Tuohy was on my quiz team and was the only man in the room knew that, not even Tom Court knew that FFFS and TC was the most well read man in the squad.

I wish you & us a less embarrassing Heineken Cup TB than recent years have granted us. I'm sure that you along with all other Englishmen will welcome the return of the Heineken Cup, just a shame that they are paying hugely less than when we last had a Heineken Cup. Further I'm sure you will agree that the Not The Heineken Cup was abysmal and a dark period for European Rugby. Now if we could get back to six pools and a fair share of funds something half decent might emerge from a sorry period of greed................of course nobody is holding their breath. :duh:

Without wishing any personal insult, I'm sure you will understand when I refer to the cabal of lunatics who destroyed rugby's best tournament as English Tossers, with a few Surrender Monkeys thrown in for good measure. :D
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Ah You Got a red on friday , come on. Get with the programme ffs
Last edited by Kofi Annan on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

3 reds for Ulster players this weekend.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Sexton with another try

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:
Dave wrote:
Is that it?
I'll have you know that Lord Kitchener drowned at sea. Dan Tuohy was on my quiz team and was the only man in the room knew that, not even Tom Court knew that FFFS and TC was the most well read man in the squad.

I wish you & us a less embarrassing Heineken Cup TB than recent years have granted us. I'm sure that you along with all other Englishmen will welcome the return of the Heineken Cup, just a shame that they are paying hugely less than when we last had a Heineken Cup. Further I'm sure you will agree that the Not The Heineken Cup was abysmal and a dark period for European Rugby. Now if we could get back to six pools and a fair share of funds something half decent might emerge from a sorry period of greed................of course nobody is holding their breath. :duh:

Without wishing any personal insult, I'm sure you will understand when I refer to the cabal of lunatics who destroyed rugby's best tournament as English Tossers, with a few Surrender Monkeys thrown in for good measure. :D
I wouldn't mind if Dan Tuohy was still with us, but we seem to have unearthed some decent young 'uns from our academy who are more than capable. Some a bit green an lacking in experience, but seem to have livened up some of the old codgers into life, even your best mate Dan Cole was back to something like his lovable, cuddly self.
We seem to have caught the premiership disease and can't defend and leak tries like a colander, luckily George Ford can kick from anywhere and we do score a try or two as well.