Shoulder to Shoulder

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Shoulder to Shoulder

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Russ wrote:I hate blackrock
I like the orange coloured Edinburgh Rock.
Bigót
It dissolves in the mouth ... it doesn't lodge in the throat!
Can you all feck off from quoting me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
lol
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: I like the orange coloured Edinburgh Rock.
Bigót
It dissolves in the mouth ... it doesn't lodge in the throat!
Can you all feck off from quoting me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
lol
What's funny Merv?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Just wondering if this should be on the Doon The Pub section?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

pwrmoore wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I did actually think it was a half-decent programme in which as most have pointed out, he just couldn't understand the concept of being British is not the same as being English. If he thinks about Welsh and Scots being British, but still Welsh or Scottish, maybe he will put 2 and 2 together.
I wonder is the problem here that many southerners think of Irish in terms of being a citizen of the 26 county republic rather than in terms of being from the island of Ireland. Though if that is the case I'd like to understand what they think we are.
Yes, IMO Ireland for a lot of people in the south is the 26 counties, unless they're republican in outlook.

I think they might see us as Brits, not culturally Irish Brits or Irish, depending on what church/ school you went to ! I'm not surprised that many southerners think we play for them. Before the home matches, they get to hear their national anthem, with the flag of the Republic flying too. They play in Dublin. The international matches in Ravenhill are as rare as hen's teeth. Some of the southern fans bring their own flag too, which can be seen displayed proudly. So we make lots of compromises,we fit in to their system, what do they do? They give us Ireland's call, a crap little ditty that many in the south, I suspect, dislike for whatever the reason. I despise flegs, nationalism etc, but unfortunately, playing international rugby is an nationalistic endeavour. And our lot is to play for Ireland, their Ireland.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Nope, it’s our Ireland. Warts and all.
Many of them don’t understand us.
Many of them don’t want to know.
Many of them don’t care.
Many of them are suspicious of us.
Many of them are intimidated by us.
Many of them don’t want us, but many of us have a Pride in being Irish. There is feckall any of them can do but accept it. We’re Irish, we have our differences but we’re definitely not Scottish, Welsh or thank The Old Gods and the New, not English .
Without us, Ireland isn’t Ireland.
FIRFU
FBOI
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tender wrote:Nope, it’s our Ireland. Warts and all.
Many of them don’t care.
Many of them don’t want us, but many of us have a Pride in being Irish. There is feckall any of them can do but accept it. We’re Irish, we have our differences but we’re definitely not Scottish, Welsh or thank The Old Gods and the New, not English .
FIRFU
FBOI
I have renounced Irishness to the point where when my well-intentioned Spanish hosts seeing my tanned grizzled face assume I am Spanish & speak far too quickly for my developing Spanish to cope with, and say "English?" I can no longer be arsed going through the whole, "well I'm Irish.......... well when I say Irish, I mean Nordie Irish, but of course, we speak English". I've yet to meet a Spaniard who has been fascinated by that explanation, so now, "si" suffices.

In any event, In the fullness of time, I shall take Spanish nationality, should I live long enough, and Ireland can kiss the rosy red cheeks of my dungbox. The FIRFUCs have knocked every scintilla of Paddyness out of me. I can really only be bothered hoping they win when they play England, and then nothing celebratory, merely glad England have lost, but then, I support every team who ever play England.

#notmycountry
#FOFIRFUCs
#bringthemhome
#FOBoFI
#FOVoadafuc'kingphone
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The map of Ireland according to a Snide crooked baked Jackeenbastard, stupid looking country, it's almost as if there was a piece missing.
ireland.jpg
ireland.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 618 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Tender wrote:Nope, it’s our Ireland. Warts and all.
Many of them don’t care.
FIRFU
FBOI
100% :thumleft: :fleg:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I wonder is the problem here that many southerners think of Irish in terms of being a citizen of the 26 county republic rather than in terms of being from the island of Ireland. Though if that is the case I'd like to understand what they think we are.
All nordies are recognized as Irish citizens by our Constitution. About half of you seem to be happy enough with this facility and use this to get Irish passports. This has been valuable enough but, in the disastrous act of self harm that is Brexit, it's even more useful.
Of course Nordies who don't want Irish citizenship continue to be Irish and the overwhelming majority of the 5 million down here accept your right to be considered Irish and British.
When it comes to rugby you are correct that we see the Ireland team through the spectacles of an independent state. If nearly six million of the nearly seven million who live on this island tend to share the same identity, it's not surprising that that identity appears from time to time. The IRFU does a decent job in reaching out with Ireland's Call and the Four Provinces flag but it simply could not drop playing the Republic's Anthem at the Aviva without a massive outcry down here.

The other solution is for Northern Ireland to form its own rugby union and paddle along. That would be a sad moment but honestly I don't think it would be great for Ulster rugby. Nobody is credibly suggesting such a solution.
The compromises made over the years have largely worked and should be left to carry on.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Dublin4 wrote:
All nordies are recognized as Irish citizens by our Constitution. About half of you seem to be happy enough with this facility and use this to get Irish passports. This has been valuable enough but, in the disastrous act of self harm that is Brexit, it's even more useful.
Of course Nordies who don't want Irish citizenship continue to be Irish and the overwhelming majority of the 5 million down here accept your right to be considered Irish and British.
When it comes to rugby you are correct that we see the Ireland team through the spectacles of an independent state. If nearly six million of the nearly seven million who live on this island tend to share the same identity, it's not surprising that that identity appears from time to time. The IRFU does a decent job in reaching out with Ireland's Call and the Four Provinces flag but it simply could not drop playing the Republic's Anthem at the Aviva without a massive outcry down here.

The other solution is for Northern Ireland to form its own rugby union and paddle along. That would be a sad moment but honestly I don't think it would be great for Ulster rugby. Nobody is credibly suggesting such a solution.
The compromises made over the years have largely worked and should be left to carry on.
Do players enjoy the anthems before games, meeting the president/royal, all that stuff?
Some do I suppose but I've also heard some say that they just want to get on with the game.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:

More than decent of you old boy, jolly good. Nobody suggesting a Northern Ireland team except you, eh?

Over the years I have spent many thousands of pounds stg., almost certainly several tens of thousands since I chalked up well over a hundred games at LR, on tickets for matches and on supporting the Dublin drinking n'atin' economy. :stout: :stout: :stout: How I now regret every last pound, punt & euro I wasted on the fenian dogs. FTP,FJS,FDN,FthatbastardBrowne.

#FOFIRFUCs
#FOBoFI
#FOVodafuckingphone

PS, I am applying for country membership of the Orange Order :oman: :oman: :oman: to allow me to hate Fenians properly, though of course, only those south of the border, the vast majority of Fenians in Ulster are more than acceptable to me.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Baggy, read my post.
I said that wasn't a credible proposition although it's the logical end result of what some posters argue.
You continue to be more than welcome. :D
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dublin4 wrote:The other solution is for Northern Ireland to form its own rugby union and paddle along.
Can you imaging the gnashings in Engerland?

Bad enough that their clubs have to play against provinces

Can you imagine if they thought they were playing against a country? :stir:

(Heaven help us if they ever realise they are already playing against a country and a half). >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

That’s not fair on the Republic. It’s a bit better than half a country.
connachtfan
Novice

Post by connachtfan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: I know a man very well who was lifted in operation Motorman and interned without trial for a couple of months. I'd stake my left ball on him not being a terrorist.
I too know several who were lifted in Motorman who were not involved. And remember there were those on both "sides" of the community interned. In my eyes there were innocents lifted on both sides too.

However, the comment I took exception to had nothing to do with internment - that had been done and dusted years before the referenced agreement (put whatever label you want on it, but presumably we can agree not to agree with Jim Allister?).

Once someone picked up the gun or bomb on "either side" - I hate those terms, but you know what i mean, - they become crims in my eye, not political prisoners if and when caught.

For me the only two sides that matter are the ones who abide by the laws of the land, and those who don't.
I was and am agreeing with you, more or less completely.
Before tom kite starts off, I stopped reading this thread from this message.

Baggy as a long time fan, what players do you actually like/admire(if any) and why? From Ireland. You prat.