What are you drinking?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Doubled up me nectar points the day and bought £200 worth of taste the difference wine >burp
I wouldn't have the room for 40 bottles of wine like that. :duck:

I had gone into Asda for something else a couple of weeks ago and while there thought I would buy a bottle of something from the Bushmills range. When looking to see what they had, I noticed the JD at £14 for 70cl and thought, "that's a decent price" and bought it for a wee change. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Doubled up me nectar points the day and bought £200 worth of taste the difference wine >burp

I had gone into Asda for something else a couple of weeks ago and while there thought I would buy a bottle of something from the Bushmills range. When looking to see what they had, I noticed the JD at £14 for 70cl and thought, "that's a decent price" and bought it for a wee change. :thumleft:
Hell of a change Grumps, the breakfast of champions to what I regard as a desert wine. :stir:

Besides take yourself to Spain and pay €14.95 for an unremarkable but perfectly serviceable 1.5 Litre bottle of standard Larios an approximate Spanish equivalent of Gordons. After all with all the crap that the gin swallying classes dump into gin these days, one tastes much the same as another.

Tomorrow I shall mainly be drinking gin.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Saw that one Merv, myself and a fellow pretentious wâñkér are convening at 1 o’clock at a spirit grocers with a gin menu. I’d imagine come late afternoon we may be pleasantly over-pretentious. As I said to my big gay son last night, I’ve no intention of getting bladdered, but it remains a possibility.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Hell of a change Grumps, the breakfast of champions to what I regard as a desert wine. :stir:

Besides take yourself to Spain and pay €14.95 for an unremarkable but perfectly serviceable 1.5 Litre bottle of standard Larios an approximate Spanish equivalent of Gordons. After all with all the crap that the gin swallying classes dump into gin these days, one tastes much the same as another.

Sometimes a change is nice ... and sometimes a change makes you appreciate a bit more what you have just had a change from.

I suspect the €14.95 might get somewhat inflated by the cost of the flights to Spain (and back), and you may (or may not) find this hard to believe, but I have never tasted gin. I keep thinking I must give it a go, but have never got around to it.

Previous experience means I'm not a fan of mixers and that puts me off the idea of gin a little. I tend to get put off any drink that requires another drink to be added to make it palatable. In my experience all that does is ruin two perfectly acceptable drinks. The only exception to that is (solid) water which is sometimes acceptable in small quantities if taken in the right spirit.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Previous experience means I'm not a fan of mixers and that puts me off the idea of gin a little. I tend to get put off any drink that requires another drink to be added to make it palatable. In my experience all that does is ruin two perfectly acceptable drinks. The only exception to that is (solid) water which is sometimes acceptable in small quantities if taken in the right spirit.
After many years of pretentiously frowning on such activity, I was convinced by someone who knows much more about these things to try just a touch of (liquid) water in my whiskey. Just a pipette or two, you understand.

While I would not say I am a convert, there are occasions when I niw select that option, depending on my mood and also the whiskey/whisky involved.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Previous experience means I'm not a fan of mixers and that puts me off the idea of gin a little. I tend to get put off any drink that requires another drink to be added to make it palatable. In my experience all that does is ruin two perfectly acceptable drinks.
I long ago arrived at that conclusion about Irish Coffee but have to admit that a nice G&T disproves that theorem.

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:The only exception to that is (solid) water which is sometimes acceptable in small quantities if taken in the right spirit.
And have to disagree about this. As a lad I would never adulterate my bush :shock: with anything. I felt it was sacrilege but I have in later years come around to the BR way of thinking. A little liquid water is just the thing.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Previous experience means I'm not a fan of mixers and that puts me off the idea of gin a little. I tend to get put off any drink that requires another drink to be added to make it palatable. In my experience all that does is ruin two perfectly acceptable drinks.
I long ago arrived at that conclusion about Irish Coffee but have to admit that a nice G&T disproves that theorem.

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:The only exception to that is (solid) water which is sometimes acceptable in small quantities if taken in the right spirit.
And have to disagree about this. As a lad I would never adulterate my bush :shock: with anything. I felt it was sacrilege but I have in later years come around to the BR way of thinking. A little liquid water is just the thing.

Quite so in all respects, I’m a libertarian when it comes to people's taste in drink, with one exception, people who put Coca-Cola I Black Bush should be hung drawn and quartered, coke in all other drinks should be punished by a wide range of penalties, from hanging to a mere sound birching.

That apart, whatever floats yer kidneys.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

>you_rock
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Sometimes a change is nice ... and sometimes a change makes you appreciate a bit more what you have just had a change from.

I suspect the €14.95 might get somewhat inflated by the cost of the flights to Spain (and back), and you may (or may not) find this hard to believe, but I have never tasted gin. I keep thinking I must give it a go, but have never got around to it.

Grumps I left you the "travelling expenses" get out for two reasons, 1) I like you 2) because of 1), I didn’t just want to call you a backtilfront for drinking that American swill.

Yours respectfully etc etc
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

pwrmoore wrote:

37.5% or 40% are purely arbitrary measures for spirits and owe more to the excise laws than taste. It's all been watered down already so further adjusting it for personal taste is entirely reasonable. Anything up to 1 part water to 3 parts spirit is perfectly acceptable imo.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Seems I touched a nerve or two there. :lol:

Perhaps I should have added, for those that can't work it out :duck: , that solid water will inevitably melt into liquid water during the drinking process (unless you knock it all back at once, which sorta negates the use of ice), so I was not proscribing the liquid variety. The bit in brackets in my original post - (solid), was merely a serving suggestion. >EW

Each to their own, but I just prefer mine chilled as well as very slightly diluted. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Went to a scotch whisky tasting once, where we were offered samples straight from the cask i.e. undiluted for bottling and typically from 50-70% ABV :shock:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Went to a scotch whisky tasting once, where we were offered samples straight from the cask i.e. undiluted for bottling and typically from 50-70% ABV :shock:
Have done similar in Bushmills. They must do things differently in Scotty Land.

In Bushmills, they dilute the stuff before putting it in the casks, taking into account how much evaporation of spirit will occur over the storage period, so that the stuff that comes out the other end is the right strength already.

Typically then a 16 year malt will go in stronger than a 10 year malt, etc, etc to allow for more evaporation in the extra years.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

37.5% or 40% are purely arbitrary measures for spirits and owe more to the excise laws than taste. It's all been watered down already so further adjusting it for personal taste is entirely reasonable. Anything up to 1 part water to 3 parts spirit is perfectly acceptable imo.
You see, what I have only recently appreciated is that it's not just 'watering down' in the classic sense. I find that the water allows me to pick up some of the more subtle flavours that I otherwise miss. I guess there are variables such as individual person, variety of spirit, ambient temperature, how many you've had already, what you had for dinner ... It just requires a great deal of research.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I'm glad I B'd TTT, this old thread now - wud ha bin a sloe~ auld day wi'out it!* :cheers:

~ Did ya see wot I did there?

* Now that's bad language .... I luv thread hoppin', me! >EW
I'm not arguing -