What are you drinking?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:37.5% or 40% are purely arbitrary measures for spirits and owe more to the excise laws than taste. It's all been watered down already so further adjusting it for personal taste is entirely reasonable. Anything up to 1 part water to 3 parts spirit is perfectly acceptable imo.
Okay, so not spirits, but if you add a small amount of water to a dry wine, is it still a dry wine? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Previous experience means I'm not a fan of mixers and that puts me off the idea of gin a little. I tend to get put off any drink that requires another drink to be added to make it palatable. In my experience all that does is ruin two perfectly acceptable drinks.
I long ago arrived at that conclusion about Irish Coffee but have to admit that a nice G&T disproves that theorem.

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:The only exception to that is (solid) water which is sometimes acceptable in small quantities if taken in the right spirit.
And have to disagree about this. As a lad I would never adulterate my bush :shock: with anything. I felt it was sacrilege but I have in later years come around to the BR way of thinking. A little liquid water is just the thing.
37.5% or 40% are purely arbitrary measures for spirits and owe more to the excise laws than taste. It's all been watered down already so further adjusting it for personal taste is entirely reasonable. Anything up to 1 part water to 3 parts spirit is perfectly acceptable imo.
You see, what I have only recently appreciated is that it's not just 'watering down' in the classic sense. I find that the water allows me to pick up some of the more subtle flavours that I otherwise miss. I guess there are variables such as individual person, variety of spirit, ambient temperature, how many you've had already, what you had for dinner ... It just requires a great deal of research.
The distillers all add some water to bring out the flavours, ideally it should be from same source as the whiskey/whisky.
Good gin is like good malt Grumps and can be tasty when drunk in a similar manner, at that stage you will realise how crap the common Gordon's etc is.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:The distillers all add some water to bring out the flavours, ideally it should be from same source as the whiskey/whisky.
You mean distilled water?

I know there is a lot of folklore about water from certain rivers being used for different whiskeys/whiskies, and that some claim it is the peaty water that gives different scotches their colours, but that is bunkum even if some Scottish distilleries do maintain the lie.

The colour comes from the cask(s) the spirits are aged in. Before the distillate goes into the casks, it is clear. Lots of people will tell ye that Bushmills whiskey is made from water from the Bush River, but it is in fact distilled water that is used for Bush, and I suspect for most, if not all, distilleries. It may well have originated in the Bush river, I don't know, but I do know that the distillery simply buys in large quantities of distilled water. (possibly they now used de-ionised water, but the principle is the same - they do not use untreated river water).

It may have been true in centuries past, but nowadays H&S, etc would not and could not allow a distillery to leave itself open to having its products ruined just by using contaminated water - accidentally or deliberately!

Besides, distilled (or de-ionised) water will give more consistent results than water that is open to contamination from all and sundry as it winds its way through varying countryside.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Good gin is like good malt Grumps and can be tasty when drunk in a similar manner, at that stage you will realise how crap the common Gordon's etc is.
I can well believe that, but I will have to take your word for it, as I have never tasted gin, good or bad.

I must get around to it some day, but I doubt I will be swayed from a good blended whiskey (with the 'e') or a single malt from these shores as my go to drink.

Likewise I sometimes have a little wine (or whine) but much prefer beers.

Grain before grape every time.
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

This evening, after a gin soaked afternoon yesterday, I'm meeting another good friend in Belfast and shall mainly be drinking Genius. Sadly after some pints and grub, I'm being treated to Hockey on Ice, my occasional duty appearance with a seriously afflicted pal, Al.

Yes I know, above and beyond the call of duty, but in fairness, Al is as good a friend as you could ever hope to have.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Al is as good a friend as you could ever hope to have.
and yet he still drags you to an ice hockey match? :whistle:

you appear to have low standards when it comes to friends, Baggy. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Al is as good a friend as you could ever hope to have.
and yet he still drags you to an ice hockey match? :whistle:

you appear to have low standards when it comes to friends, Baggy. :lol:
You've clearly not understood when I've explained my 90:10 theory Grumps. I don't expect perfection of anyone but myself, we all, possibly even me, have flaws, so I weigh up all friends and acquaintances and anyone scoring 90 % or more is a very acceptable companion.

As for the night out, I have to report two things:

1) The Kitchen Bar serves outstandingly good Genius and a very passable burger & chip.

2) the Giants are considerably better than I previously recall, all things considered, it was nowhere near as horrendous (on the ice as I expect), however, the attendees remain a peculiar section of the population. In general, they are a horribly ugly crowd, the likes of which I have only previously experienced in Carrickfergus in the mid-seventies. A lumpen shapeless shuffling mass in their smocks which fall somewhere between their enormous arses and mid-calf. An outrageously huge proportion of the males have ludicrously tatty lank long hair, these are people who mass together at a sport for the otherwise sportingly homeless, happy in their little pseudo-Seppo diversion. Scary, still, that's my duty as a friend taken care of for a good few years.

Some years back I had what appeared to be a stroke of sorts, enormous BP around 285/178 but which went back to near normal within a couple of hours. The docs wanted to do an MRI scan as a CT had shown evidence of an old brain Haemorrhage but explained that it would take six months unless I agreed to be admitted. Long story short, the only place they could find a bed was in Care for the Elderly so I spent 5 nights waiting for the MRI scan. A depressing experience, some terribly poorly ould craters in a very bad way there and I was by a good 25 years the youngest "client", though I did go to the Elk Inn for a few pints with my brother on the third day. Happily though, the stay coincided with a Hockey on Ice game I was due to attend, so I suppose there is something to be said for clouds and silver linings.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I suspected that Baggy given the medication you take .

Unfortunately the intensive care is not yet in the New building yet had a few friends in the ward .
I my self spent 48 hours in one of the rooms on one of the new wards last year with an infected post operative wound . ( 4 types of antibiotics and 12 weeks getting the wound packed daily )

If you enjoy peace and quiet to be recommended .

But the GP services are supplied by the Care of the Elderly — being sent there in your mid thirties for X- Rays etc is a bit weird .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Capt — G & T is a drink to be drunk in moderation to be appreciated.

Best drink for clearing a fog in your mouth about 1/2 an hour before a meal or a Sam and Ella Berger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Anyone tried Sorgin from Aldi?

French gin made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes.

25 quid and well worth every penny.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote:Anyone tried Sorgin from Aldi?

French gin made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes.

25 quid and well worth every penny.
We don't have Aldi here.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Other retailers are available I think - online or whatever.

I plan to drink it by the pint in the summer and will pop into Aldi on the way home to empty the shelves.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:Other retailers are available I think - online or whatever.

I plan to drink it by the pint in the summer and will pop into Aldi on the way home to empty the shelves.
Ask for minimum wage for the time taken Lionel.

What am I drinking, sadly nothing today. >ESAD
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Anyone tried Red Bush yet?

A bit like Black Bush but matured in Bourbon casks. It was only released a year or two back.

I bought a bottle as a Christmas pressie for someone (£19 in Tesco), and have dropped enough hints that I should get one in my stocking on Christmas morning.

Anyone with an opinion already? I have yet to taste anything from the Bushmills stable that I don't like (albeit the honey one would be my last choice), so looking forward to this one.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shyte
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?