Ethical dilemma

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Ethical dilemma

Post by big mervyn »

The AA send me these monthly motoring surveys.

This month's one featured autonomous cars and posed this dilemma:

You are driving an autonomous vehicle and 2 young children suddenly run into it's path. The car is travelling at such a speed that it is unable to stop in time. There are 3 options, each potentially resulting in at least one fatality.

1. Carry on and run over the kids.
2. Swerve to the right ploughing into the back of a stationary HGV.
3. Swerve to the left hitting 2 elderly pedestrians on the pavement.

Which do you choose?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ethical dilemma

Post by Dave »

If the elderly couple don't have the last name Windsor or Mountbatten, then into the lorry.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:If the elderly couple don't have the last name Windsor or Mountbatten, then into the lorry.
I'd imagine that's the option "Kit" would choose.

I picked the Brexit voting auld coffin dodgers :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Over the kids otherwise you will be in the wrong, this assumes you are fully legal driving the car in first instance
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:Over the kids otherwise you will be in the wrong, this assumes you are fully legal driving the car in first instance
There's no legal right or wrong from the driver's perspective here. The car is in complete control. You get to choose your own preferred options.

There were actually 2 scenarios. In the first one, somebody else is in the car. In the second one, you are.

I wasted the pensioners in both instances :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

I'd think you'd have too hit the kids first as they would be the ones with the potential longest lifespans.
Then reverse over the old people if poss before ending it with a game of chicken with the HGV.
Did I pass?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
Rooster wrote:Over the kids otherwise you will be in the wrong, this assumes you are fully legal driving the car in first instance
There's no legal right or wrong from the driver's perspective here. The car is in complete control. You get to choose your own preferred options.

There were actually 2 scenarios. In the first one, somebody else is in the car. In the second one, you are.

In self driving cars at present have you still not to be in control if something goes wrong ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I see Mountbatten is out driving again.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

In self driving cars at present have you still not to be in control if something goes wrong ?
This is a hypothetical future scenario.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

This is a hypothetical future scenario.
If that the case then depends on the programmers thoughts
Rory Best