Irish Unity

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

How would you vote in a border poll?

Yes, to Irish Unity
57%
No, stay with England, Wales and Scotland
43%

Total votes: 30

promenader 2
Initiate

Re: Irish Unity

Post by promenader 2 »

solidarity wrote:I've heard people talk of some sort of federal arrangement but that would keep a parliament of sorts at Stormont and that's the last thing we need.
I agree. If we're going to have an agreed new Ireland, at least let's have one Parliament with some grown up politics going on inside. I don't fancy being stuck up this end of the island being misruled by the usual DUP-SF combination.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

I've chosen to leave the increasingly right-wing and selfish England behind. But the conditions of the Border Poll must be made much more detailed than the farce of the Brexit vote. If the Border Poll shows a majority in favour of Irish unity, then provision should be made for a confirmation vote on the actual constitutional details which are agreed by the relevant parliaments. Only a federal system would probably have the necessary support.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Would still stay part of Britain. Don't like tiers of government that are useless and feel that about the EU, Stormont is also a disaster and to me is a result of the Good Friday Agreement and needing 50% of both sides to sign anything off. Given the demographics we now have having just a total majority on a vote is all that is needed, and would increase the power of parties of the centre ground.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Project fear will keep us in...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Not sure I could handle all that fiddling and jiggling millarchy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Frank wrote:Not sure I could handle all that fiddling and jiggling millarchy.
Stay away from the clergy and you'll be safe enough :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

*malarkey
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Oh ta for that. What a Kaflufal
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sorry Baz, but I preferred Liz.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Dave I was once married to a woman. At first all those little things that used to irritate me you know the look, the glare, the tut when you did something worst descrbed as mildly wrong, the occasional impromptu visit from her mother . Then you think those things, those minor irritants will simply fade with time and the boundless love flame that ignites the very mantle of your burning heart will extinguish all with the slip of a simple ring upon her finger.
I didn't think it out.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Unity here from a Unionist, again partially because I would be better off financially and secondly have no fear at all of being in the minority religion wise as know the project fear from DUP and others is rubbish.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:Nah and mainly from a purely selfish point of view that I'm employed by the NICS. Otherwise yes.

Pre Brexit it was a definite no.
You are one of those who throw the unionist/nationalist theory touted by DUP/SF that people will vote on religious grounds yet again, they tend to forget that people will vote on the financial implications for themselves rather on what religion they just happened to be born into.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Nah and mainly from a purely selfish point of view that I'm employed by the NICS. Otherwise yes.

You are one of those who throw the unionist/nationalist theory touted by DUP/SF that people will vote on religious grounds yet again, they tend to forget that people will vote on the financial implications for themselves rather on what religion they just happened to be born into.
Quite correct. Irish unity as an ideal is one thing, as a reality it's entirely different and isn't going to happen any time soon because people will be better off in the UK.
The republic's economy is a basket case overly reliant on FDI. The republic's economy would be crippled by a no deal Brexit and the rest of the EU will take considerable damage too.
Therefore there will be a deal done at the last minute on 29 March. It's a high stakes game of chicken and from what I've seen the EU is twitchier than the UK. I think they'll blink first as they have more to lose and fudge is what the EU does best.
Of course the EU are hoping for an extension in the hope that the remoaners will gain some traction and force a second referendum with a different outcome. Can't see Mrs. May being soft enough to give them any breathing room so that'll not be happening either.

Of course I could be wrong. What would I know?
That's me away again, arrivederci. :salut:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Quite correct. Irish unity as an ideal is one thing, as a reality it's entirely different and isn't going to happen any time soon because people will be better off in the UK.
The republic's economy is a basket case overly reliant on FDI. The republic's economy would be crippled by a no deal Brexit and the rest of the EU will take considerable damage too.
Therefore there will be a deal done at the last minute on 29 March. It's a high stakes game of chicken and from what I've seen the EU is twitchier than the UK. I think they'll blink first as they have more to lose and fudge is what the EU does best.
Of course the EU are hoping for an extension in the hope that the remoaners will gain some traction and force a second referendum with a different outcome. Can't see Mrs. May being soft enough to give them any breathing room so that'll not be happening either.

Of course I could be wrong. What would I know?
Welcome to the forum :thumleft:
Snipe Watson wrote:That's me away again, arrivederci. :salut:
Oh!

Okay then

Don't let the door hit yer Brennan on the way out! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Irish Unity ..that old chestnut. An Island never that has never been truly united from the FirBolgs to the Gaels ,Vikings ,Dalriada,Normans ,Saxons and all manner of Colour between them. A unity of hearts must occur before fiscal unity. That wont happen anytime soon, I fear unless We abandon the current political system and everyone just does as I say :lol:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup