Irish Unity

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

How would you vote in a border poll?

Yes, to Irish Unity
57%
No, stay with England, Wales and Scotland
43%

Total votes: 30

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Irish Unity

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Arlene will take NI off a cliff as long as it's the same cliff England fall off.
We can't fall off the Dover cliffs though, and falling off Fair Head would bring us nearer to Scotland and without a bridge how do we get across to fall off an English cliff ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:Arlene will take NI off a cliff as long as it's the same cliff England fall off.
We can't fall off the Dover cliffs though, and falling off Fair Head would bring us nearer to Scotland and without a bridge how do we get across to fall off an English cliff ?
The metaphorical cliffs of Brexitonia. It's ok though, the milk and honey will break our fall. It's a wonderful place.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Amiga500 wrote:The biggest irony in it all is, if Arlene had 2 brain cells to rub together - she'd have negotiated a deal where this place was best of both worlds (in fact, this was the deal that was on offer about 18 months ago that she rejected out of hand).

It would have secured the economy of this place, the UK and with it, NI's place within the union - as no economic floating vote would have backed a UI - as is clearly visible on this thread, folks pay more attention to whether they can put food on the table as opposed to the colour of the flag on buildings occupied by a bunch of pricks. The union would have been secured for several generations.

Instead, the DUP are forcing things to a situation where there realistically *could* be a border poll within 12 months.

"Unbelievable Jeff!"
The biggest handicap the DUP has to contend with is its inability to handle political nuance or ambiguity. It may have something to do with the Party's Free P core, which sees the world in terms of biblical certainties in which there is no space for doubt or wriggle-room; if the Bible says that God created the world in 6 days, then that's what happened. If it says that Methuselah was a 1000 years old, then that's how old he was. In the Bible, right is right and everything else is the work of the devil. The DUP seems to look for the same kind of clarity and certainty in its political agreements. Thus, the Brexit backstop is unacceptable, because it hints at a status for NI which is slightly less than crystal clear, a status which is not quite part of the EU, but also not 100% part of the UK. It doesn't matter about the economic or political benefits of such a deal -and I agree with your assessment that it would've made the union more secure. The DUP wants exactly the same deal as the rest of the UK, end of story. The same approach saw the Party reject the Belfast Agreement, a work of creative ambiguity, even though it carried with it the prospect of peace, stability and, in many people's opinion, the copper-fastening of the union. Over and over again the DUP displays a remarkable talent for seeing defeat in a situation in which a more sophisticated analysis would see huge victories.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

This thinking is characteristic of Fundamentalism the world over. It doesn't matter which type of fundamentalism: Christian, Islamic, Marxist, Republican or any other. Their ideological blinkers mean that they cannot accept pragmatism as anything other than a betrayal of their beliefs. But, in my opinion, worse still, is their inability to think creatively. Only harking back to an illusionary past or longing for a utopian future gives them any sense of direction. And as for compromise, that should be written c********e and barred by the moderators.

You're right, Amiga, this could have been a fabulous opportunity for NI to prosper. Ironically it could only work if the Union was copper fastened AND the all island continuity continued so both sides should have been happy. Is there time yet for a last minute epiphany? Certainly, but I'm not holding my breath.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Nay nay and thrice nay. Its more than flip flopping in times of crisis but seeing it out. Reforming the EU from within wouldve been preferred a la Varoufakis, but the true mask has slipped, so I want away.
The DUP dont represent my unionism , but neither does North Down. Enjoy spending your Euros in Dobbies etc..

Every dirty trick in the book... Return to conflict etc.. over what? Economics? Justify that one to the Yanks post 911 at your $1000 dollar a plate dinners...

What about the fishermen? Quietly forgotten because they dont meet the narrative. We're a fishing nation and our waters constantly raped by every nation in the EU.

Ah the dark skies of a UI. Not for me. Reform from within, bin petition of concern apart from constitutional matters and you'll have every reform you want, and supported by me.

Flip flop, eh? "Im a unionist, but" ... Pffft . No wonders Shinners smell blood.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I voted no btw...
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Flip flop, eh? "Im a unionist, but" ... Pffft . No wonders Shinners smell blood.
EUnionists eh. Next a small minority of them will organise marches passing anywhere sporting a UK Flag and playing fecking Ode to joy on their flutes. Ya couldn't be up to them.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Shan wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
EUnionists eh. Next a small minority of them will organise marches passing anywhere sporting a UK Flag and playing fecking Ode to joy on their flutes. Ya couldn't be up to them.
Quote of the month Shan, hats off >TLGH >appl
Barnier coat trailing again...
Feckin' Quislings and Grauniard readers they are...
Point of order ref Uk flegs.. only on 17 designated days thanks to the forces of darkness and snowflakery :duck: :red:
Btw I have many Remainer friends.. >EW (I say friends... )

Top bants. Next up: Why Antifa are c#nts, hypocrites and their nom de plume a contradiction in terms...
striker
Novice

Post by striker »

Debate on Today with Sean O'Rourke RTE Radio 1 this morning with Joe Brolly and Jarlath Burns suggesting that the GAA should lead a call for for Border Poll in the North coming up before 12.00
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Great to see the GAA push the boundaries for more Unionist/ Praddesent inclusivity like their OO brothers and sisters... Did Brolley ever tell you the time he bantered wor Jackie McDonald just to prove hes nat sectarian?.. Jackie was up for a UI said Joe never...
I thought Jarlath had a bit more sense tbh.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Great to see the GAA push the boundaries for more Unionist/ Praddesent inclusivity like their OO brothers and sisters... Did Brolley ever tell you the time he bantered wor Jackie McDonald just to prove hes nat sectarian?.. Jackie was up for a UI said Joe never...
If there was ever a case for a border poll it's now. Same goes for the Scots.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Great to see the GAA push the boundaries for more Unionist/ Praddesent inclusivity like their OO brothers and sisters... Did Brolley ever tell you the time he bantered wor Jackie McDonald just to prove hes nat sectarian?.. Jackie was up for a UI said Joe never...
But I thought the GAA is a sporting organisation and not political? hmmm.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

jean valjean wrote:But I thought the GAA is a sporting organisation and not political? hmmm.
The GAA has made no comment on any proposed border poll or on the larger Brexit subject. One or two GAA members, who have no authority, have suggested that the GAA should involve itself in a debate about a border poll. I don't agree with them and hope the GAA stays out of it. If the GAA gets involved CIMAN would have a valid point. What he currently has is a bit of whinging based on something he thinks, for no known valid reason, could happen.

Of course it has been well established that the otherwise sane CIMAN has a big issue with the GAA, some of which is justified, so no huge surprise he is getting a little hot and bothered now. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

If I was offered One Million pounds (or even euros) to vote for a United Ireland I suppose I would have to think long and hard about it and might well vote YES. But I very much doubt that that offer is going to happen so I don't waste much of my time lying in bed at night thinking or worrying about it. I recall being frequently told when I ventured south to study in TCD in 1974 that a United Ireland was just around the corner. Well all I can say is Some Corner.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

PS more importantly C'monnn Campbell , get stuck in to those Armagh chaps today.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh