Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Biblical matters

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Shan wrote:Auld Jesus must be a bit bemused when he thinks of all those different groups within Christianity and especially at those who think their membership of one of those groups somehow makes them a better Christian than some other poor fecker in one of the other groups who thinks similarly. As said earlier - Human imperfection. :D
I wonder which is his favourite though, he's bound to have a sneaky fave. Free Ps maybe?
It Might take him a while to figure it out
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote:
Shan wrote:Auld Jesus must be a bit bemused when he thinks of all those different groups within Christianity and especially at those who think their membership of one of those groups somehow makes them a better Christian than some other poor fecker in one of the other groups who thinks similarly. As said earlier - Human imperfection. :D
I wonder which is his favourite though, he's bound to have a sneaky fave. Free Ps maybe?
It Might take him a while to figure it out
It looks like some of them could well have married their sisters Merv! :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

http://www.thewicketgate.org/2015/05/ch ... ella-term/

This is a helpful article for those still confused
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:http://www.thewicketgate.org/2015/05/ch ... ella-term/

Benjamin was born an atheist but luckily his parents were both Christians :lol: :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Here's a choice wee segment from Meredith if yer feeling confused about your sexuality...

One such sin that required the death penalty in the days of ancient Israel was homosexuality. Leviticus 20:13 says, plainly and clearly, “If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.”

What?? We think today in modern terms, What a bloody, violent religion! I mean, some of the things people were stoned for at the time seem so small and so simple to us, so because of that, people tend to ignore the stance of God against homosexuality. But we look at it backwards. We think it’s unfair that God called for the death of those who committed some sins, when really, it’s unfair that He ever lets a sinner keep on living.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

big mervyn wrote:

Benjamin was born an atheist but luckily his parents were both Christians :lol: :lol:
So rather than engage with the point of the actual article you clutch at straws and just go for whatever suits your anti-religion agenda best?

Northern Irish intellect at its finest
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

big mervyn wrote:

Here's a choice wee segment from Meredith if yer feeling confused about your sexuality...

One such sin that required the death penalty in the days of ancient Israel was homosexuality. Leviticus 20:13 says, plainly and clearly, “If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.”

What?? We think today in modern terms, What a bloody, violent religion! I mean, some of the things people were stoned for at the time seem so small and so simple to us, so because of that, people tend to ignore the stance of God against homosexuality. But we look at it backwards. We think it’s unfair that God called for the death of those who committed some sins, when really, it’s unfair that He ever lets a sinner keep on living.
Again, I see you have removed the context that was written in to fit the agenda

Well done, big merv :thumleft:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... and talking about marrying your sister

Big Neville Southall
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

It’s like Live at the Apollo here tonight

Top class bantz all round
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What is this, a blog of some kind?

So Catholics are not Christians then?

Do Roman Catholic's go to heaven or just the protestants?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Odd. I'm not religious, but I occasionally meet people through work who do have faith. Some of these people I would say are a good advert for religion in general and Christianity in particular. Quakers and mennonites are the people of faith who most often fall into that category, for me anyway. Most often I have found them to be sincere, peace loving people. Yet your link casts doubt on their Christian credentials. Not many people in your club, is there?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

If this ballix doesn't tempt Baggy back nothing will! :lol:

I'm just praising Brahma my Indian twin is out of thon Pakistani hellhole.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:... and talking about marrying your sister

One of the rare occasions I can't help posting. There is nothing wrong with that lovely young couple that 10 minutes with a cricket bat wouldn't cure.

I'm so taken with them that I've signed up for their alerts, Christian Name: Goan Surname: Fukyersel email: BaggyTrousers@hotmail.com.

Now that email is not mine but it was accepted, so if some poor ballix starts getting the Beverley Sisters alerts, I sincerely hope he is a cranky ould bast@rd and hunts them down and gets medieval on them with a blowtorch.

I used to be so much more tolerant but some bitches just don't deserve to share my oxygen. Kunts. Hopefully, there is a road traffic accident with their names on it approaching apace. >threaten

Eh ............................... goodbye. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:

What is this, a blog of some kind?

So Catholics are not Christians then?

Do Roman Catholic's go to heaven or just the protestants?
Again, it depends how you define it

I dont see how this is hard to comprehend, but i’ll try again

There are quite significant differences

Roman Catholics:
- read the Apocrypha (the bible including the books removed during the reformation)
- baptism brings salvation (saving of sins)
- take the Eucharist (their version of communion where the bread/wafer and wine become part of Christ’s crucified body)
- confirmation (there is no protestant equivelent to my knowledge)
- reconciliation/confession (the people confess their sins to the priest who acts as a representive to Christ)
- they believe Mary to be mother of God and therefore worship her as such
- believe in purgatory at death (where you go before heaven/hell to be purged of final sins - priests often are paid to give prayers to the dead)

Now in the protestant (not pope kicking but theologicaly reformed) church, their response would be - forgetting the demoninational differences:
- read the 66 books of the bible, Luther removed the additional 7
- baptism is a symbol of salvation, not a method to salvation
- communion is taken and unlike the Eucharist there is no “real” part of Christ’s crucified body involved, just simple bread and wine to remember and give thanks to God for dying for our sins
- confirmation is not a thing
- unlike confession, Christ is the only one who can forgive sins and does not require a human mediator like a priest
- Mary was Jesus’ human mother, but there is no worship of Mary in the protestant demoninations
- when you die you either go to heaven or hell, there is no “final mediation” like purgatory involved. Salvation is from Christ alone (solus Christus) through faith alone (sola fide) by grace alone(sola gratia)

So when you consider these major differences, both strands of Christianity cant be right
The bible says there is only one way to heaven - by accepting Jesus as your saviour - but these two branches of christianity both contraidct each other in their teachings on how to get there

Funny story that I heard from a friend.. may or may not be true but highlights the problems the RC church face...

Many moons ago, a Roman Catholic man leaves Ireland to go to find work in the states.. this was before the days of email, etc, when faxes are still used. He gets there and sends a fax, however the fax gets lost. When his family havent heard from him they assume the worst so they start to pay the priest to give prayers for this “dead man”. Eventually the priest declares, “one more prayer and this man will leave purgatory and get to heaven”, so the family agree. However, at some point during all this, the man decides to come home - maybe America isnt all that it is cracked up to be. Fast forward however long this took place, as the man is declared dead and his soul has “definitely” left purgatory, and the man comes back to the shock of his family. Now if this story is true the conclusion is that the man started to question the work of the priest and eventually converted to Protestant christianity

As you can see now hopefully there are quite important differences. And as I say again my intention is not to be divisive- but somewhat informative !
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

promenader 2 wrote:

Odd. I'm not religious, but I occasionally meet people through work who do have faith. Some of these people I would say are a good advert for religion in general and Christianity in particular. Quakers and mennonites are the people of faith who most often fall into that category, for me anyway. Most often I have found them to be sincere, peace loving people. Yet your link casts doubt on their Christian credentials. Not many people in your club, is there?
I agree with you. I dont know much about Quakers but certainly Mennonites (also born out of a split from the catholic church) are typically good. As with anything I’m sure there are sections who I would say arent Christians but if they believe in the protestamt fundamental(s) - Christ is the son of God who died for the sins of man, and all need forgiveness through Christ alone - (ie. a gospel doctrine) then I would have little issue with calling them Christians