Irish Unity

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

How would you vote in a border poll?

Yes, to Irish Unity
57%
No, stay with England, Wales and Scotland
43%

Total votes: 30

nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Re: Irish Unity

Post by nonplussed »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
nonplussed wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I would vote for a UI even if it cost me in the pocket. It would be worth it to be rid of the Conservatives and see the DUP squirm

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
100% agree

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Lunacy. Just to prove a point. You must be minted in North Down.
Nope... I was being trite, but if screwing the Tories and DUPs is a bi product then I won't shed a tear.

I suffer from that awkward juxtaposition of being too Irish to be British but feel too nordie to feel entirely Irish. However I have much more affinity with the new emerging Ireland than I have with the Tory driven, nationalistic, little Englander Britain than currently exists and as a result would vote for a UI. As a europhile it makes social and economic sense

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

How can it make economic sense the nearest market is across the Irish Sea the port of Belfast is miles from the French coast and Dublin is only half a day closer .

Approximately 1/3 of the people in NI are in receipt of some form of Government benefit — wake up smell the coffee and those in employment mostly rely on the GB market — economic sense — Bull s ..t

Much as you you may dislike the English the unfortunate fact is we can’t survive without them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

rumncoke wrote:How can it make economic sense the nearest market is across the Irish Sea the port of Belfast is miles from the French coast and Dublin is only half a day closer .

Approximately 1/3 of the people in NI are in receipt of some form of Government benefit — wake up smell the coffee and those in employment mostly rely on the GB market — economic sense — Bull s ..t

Much as you you may dislike the English the unfortunate fact is we can’t survive without them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You seem to think that there is no difficulty for UK outside the EU. So why should this be any different? If the UK can survive economically without the EU then NI can survive economically without GB as part of a united Ireland. You can't have it both ways.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

rumncoke wrote:How can it make economic sense the nearest market is across the Irish Sea the port of Belfast is miles from the French coast and Dublin is only half a day closer.
By that yardstick, the nearest market is the Isle of Man.

Yet its not really talked about.

The UK is insignificant in size compared to the EU. That'll become all the more acute if there is a massive economic depression within the UK as a result of a hard-leave.

rumncoke wrote: Approximately 1/3 of the people in NI are in receipt of some form of Government benefit — wake up smell the coffee and those in employment mostly rely on the GB market — economic sense — Bull s ..t
Approximately 1/10th of those probably deserve to be in receipt of some form of Government benefit.

You also assume that said benefits can continue as is in the event of a hard-exit. The cuts to social care made in the wake of the mess 10 years ago will be like nothing as compared to what might be coming.