NORN IRON

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: NORN IRON

Post by Cockatrice »

On chances the Swiss deserved it but Norn Iron have more commitment than most.. if only our rugby team could learn how playing together as a team can add up to more than the sum of the parts.. I would take that any day even in defeat.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I see Michael O'Neil has ruled himself out of the running to be Sinn Fein President saying he has enough to do in his current role.

Does that mean he's not takin' the Scotland job?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Good start to Euro 2020 last night. Norn Iron 2 Estonia 0 . And it just goes to show that you don't want to be winning at half time ( 0 - 0 ). Some fans gurning about the atmosphere but way better than Ravenhill in my opinion. Found the £5 charge for a small bottle of magners a bit steep. And traffic/parking was slow and trickybad. Looking forward to more leisurely, and free, travel on sunday for the Belarus game (kick off 7.45pm) - a few pints at Stokers and then getting the train from Holywood to Adelaide. Slainte
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Good start to Euro 2020 last night. Norn Iron 2 Estonia 0 . And it just goes to show that you don't want to be winning at half time ( 0 - 0 ). Some fans gurning about the atmosphere but way better than Ravenhill in my opinion. Found the £5 charge for a small bottle of magners a bit steep. And traffic/parking was slow and trickybad. Looking forward to more leisurely, and free, travel on sunday for the Belarus game (kick off 7.45pm) - a few pints at Stokers and then getting the train from Holywood to Adelaide. Slainte
Apples and pears, if you don't mind me saying. Football crowds are always going to have more singing and chanting, perhaps even more raw passion, but that's because football is more tribal, more visceral. On the plus side, you can still go to a rugby match, stand wherever you want in the ground, and not get your head kicked in. You also don't have to put up with seeing your favourite player being thumped by a fan. Slainte :thumleft:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

promenader 2 wrote:
HwoodMike2umate wrote:Good start to Euro 2020 last night. Norn Iron 2 Estonia 0 . And it just goes to show that you don't want to be winning at half time ( 0 - 0 ). Some fans gurning about the atmosphere but way better than Ravenhill in my opinion. Found the £5 charge for a small bottle of magners a bit steep. And traffic/parking was slow and trickybad. Looking forward to more leisurely, and free, travel on sunday for the Belarus game (kick off 7.45pm) - a few pints at Stokers and then getting the train from Holywood to Adelaide. Slainte
Apples and pears, if you don't mind me saying. Football crowds are always going to have more singing and chanting, perhaps even more raw passion, but that's because football is more tribal, more visceral. On the plus side, you can still go to a rugby match, stand wherever you want in the ground, and not get your head kicked in. You also don't have to put up with seeing your favourite player being thumped by a fan. Slainte :thumleft:

But you could witness your favourite fan being thumped by a player... BOOM

what day is it now Mike?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

promenader 2 wrote: On the plus side, you can still go to a rugby match, stand wherever you want in the ground, and not get your head kicked in. You also don't have to put up with seeing your favourite player being thumped by a fan. Slainte :thumleft:
It's hard to beat a good generalisation, ain't it?

I have been to many footy matches, sat or stood where I liked, including among opposition fans and never had a hint of getting my head kicked in.

I have also been to many rugby matches and sat or stood where I wanted, including among opposition fans and once had a knife pulled on me.

Thankfully the other opposition fans present sorted the culprit out and I was able to walk away unscathed and still enjoy the match.

I still enjoy going to rugby and football matches. I've even been back to the ground and scene where the knife incident happened ... without a repeat performance.

But it's still easier to disparage footy fans, ain't it?
I'm not arguing -
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

You seem a bit excited Grumps. Typical football fan. :D :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

pwrmoore wrote:
promenader 2 wrote:

But you could witness your favourite fan being thumped by a player... BOOM

what day is it now Mike?
>appl >appl :lol:
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
promenader 2 wrote: On the plus side, you can still go to a rugby match, stand wherever you want in the ground, and not get your head kicked in. You also don't have to put up with seeing your favourite player being thumped by a fan. Slainte :thumleft:
It's hard to beat a good generalisation, ain't it?

I have been to many footy matches, sat or stood where I liked, including among opposition fans and never had a hint of getting my head kicked in.

I have also been to many rugby matches and sat or stood where I wanted, including among opposition fans and once had a knife pulled on me.

Thankfully the other opposition fans present sorted the culprit out and I was able to walk away unscathed and still enjoy the match.

I still enjoy going to rugby and football matches. I've even been back to the ground and scene where the knife incident happened ... without a repeat performance.

But it's still easier to disparage footy fans, ain't it?
I was a footy fan long before I discovered rugby, Cap'n. I used to follow my lower-division league team all over England. And Wales too, come to think of it. I've been threatened in Rotherham, chased down the street In Cambridge, had bottles thrown at me (well, in my general direction) in Coventry. And that's just the away games. The home games were just as terrifying when the likes of Cardiff, Crystal Palace, Millwall and Plymouth came to town. I've been to my fair share of Irish League games too, going back to the 90s. Don't get me started on those >jawdrop

Obviously I'm talking about times past here (late 70s, through to early 90s) , and I know that things have improved greatly at football grounds, but that's mostly down to segregation of fans, CCTV, seating, etc. I'm not saying that all football fans are psychotics, but there is still a level of threat at football games that you don't, as a rule, experience at rugby matches.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

GAWA are 95% loyalist thugs.

Ulsterfans are racist but top shaggers.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

promenader 2 wrote: I'm not saying that all football fans are psychotics, but there is still a level of threat at football games that you don't, as a rule, experience at rugby matches.
I beg your pardon. I was obviously in error.

I'm sure my widow would have taken great comfort from that had I been stabbed.

Generalisations are only that - generalisations. There are wide ranging exceptions in all of them.

As you introduced "apples and pears", might I suggest that to compare an English league game of the last century with a current N.I. International match at the National Stadium, is not exactly apples and apples or pears and pears?
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

promenader 2 wrote:I've been threatened in Rotherham, chased down the street In Cambridge, had bottles thrown at me (well, in my general direction) in Coventry. And that's just the away games. The home games were just as terrifying when the likes of Cardiff, Crystal Palace, Millwall and Plymouth came to town. ...
Rotherham, Cambridge, Coventry, Cardiff, Palace, Milwall, Plymouth .... and one common factor with all of these ... YOU! :shock:
Careful you don't incriminate yersel! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

For the record, and Lest We Forget, this Sunday's Norn Iron game v Belarus (Just a small part of Russia, yer just a small part of Russia bla bla bla) is DAY 4446. All welcome to join us in Stokers, H'wood from 5pm until we board the 6.47pm train to Adelaide.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Mike, if you come across some Belarus fans this weekend, I suggest that you don't sing "You're a small part of Russia". It's likely you wouldn't be around for any more Ulster games!
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Gary, delete that before he sees it!!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?