Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Re: Mexico Vs Ulster KO 5.45pm BT Sport 3

Post by Columbo »

Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
..one more thing
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Did Poite not miss a glaring ulster forward pass in the build up to Luke Marshall's try?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.

There is nothing borderline about what I have highlighted. They are clear and obvious.

Which pass in the build up to Marshall's try?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points. Image
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote:Tbh, I think if you were to slow down any random piece of play in a modern pro game, you'd be able to pick up a few borderline calls - for example I see Leinster fans claiming there was an obvious forward pass in the run up to Marshall's try.. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought Poite was ok..
You think or know? There is a difference. You would need to back up that view with evidence rather than just making a broad sweeping assumption.

There is nothing borderline about what I have highlighted. They are clear and obvious.

The skip pass that Marshall himself threw out to the wing looked borderline to me at the time.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points. Image
To me, that looks like the ball goes forward, then bounces back. I don't know the rules well enough to know if that's a knock on or not. Anyone enlighten me?

/
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

In many ways we are still too nice and are used to the Ulster Way although with McFarland I see that changing albeit not overnight. We should be making more of those tight calls to try and influence the refs decision making process more.. much of this can be done in pre match meeting with officials where clarify can be sought and also doubts can be put in the refs mind.. Cullans public comment on Coeztee is a prime example..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

promenader 2 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points. Image
To me, that looks like the ball goes forward, then bounces back. I don't know the rules well enough to know if that's a knock on or not. Anyone enlighten me?
/
https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11&language=EN
5. The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:

A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).

A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

mea97mb wrote:
Dave wrote:

The skip pass that Marshall himself threw out to the wing looked borderline to me at the time.
Just looked at it. In fairness, it's close but to me the arms go back so it's momentum if anything. The touch judge was perfectly in line.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
It does look like McCloskey hits it with his elbow on the way down.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:This rip was ruled a knock on by Poite. The resulting scrum produced a penalty which Byrne kicked for 3 points.
Given that it was all part of the same play, would that override the "rip"?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Amiga500 wrote:
I slowed it right down and it actually hits ROL's own arm not McCloskey's. I wouldn't expect Poite to see that but the rip was fairly clear.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HammerTime wrote:Yea they can be a bit cocky at times but wouldn't you if Ulster had been as good the last 10 years.
No. At least certainly not in the way they have been. It was never like that at Donneybrook - it is a recent thing which has crept in, I imagine, with their success over those years and the new support at RDS.

HammerTime wrote:And why didn't Timoney make a bigger deal out of that? It's moments like that were Best going off early really killed us.
That part I didn't see live, but was listening on the radio, and Gusher made a big deal of it, describing the foul play and stating that Poite should go to the TMO if he didn't see it himself. He then described what the players did, which I paraphrase;

Timoney did make a bigger deal of it. But he did it in the proper way, going through his captain. Hendo then went to Poite but was summarily waved away. Hendo persisted, but Poite again sent him away and wouldn't listen. At least according to Gusher anyway.

I just wonder if he would have waved Rory away so easily?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
I slowed it right down and it actually hits ROL's own arm not McCloskey's. I wouldn't expect Poite to see that but the rip was fairly clear.
When Brian O'Driscoll calls it against his own team, it must be bad. He was clear that Poite had made a howler. Likewise with the penalty against Marcell for the penalty a few minutes before that.

I was shocked that Drico was so blatant in making calls against his own team, so for once, fair play to him.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Yea they can be a bit cocky at times but wouldn't you if Ulster had been as good the last 10 years.
No. At least certainly not in the way they have been. It was never like that at Donneybrook - it is a recent thing which has crept in, I imagine, with their success over those years and the new support at RDS.

HammerTime wrote:And why didn't Timoney make a bigger deal out of that? It's moments like that were Best going off early really killed us.
That part I didn't see live, but was listening on the radio, and Gusher made a big deal of it, describing the foul play and stating that Poite should go to the TMO if he didn't see it himself. He then described what the players did, which I paraphrase;

Timoney did make a bigger deal of it. But he did it in the proper way, going through his captain. Hendo then went to Poite but was summarily waved away. Hendo persisted, but Poite again sent him away and wouldn't listen. At least according to Gusher anyway.

I just wonder if he would have waved Rory away so easily?
Poite is known for this. Sometimes the crowds reaction can help but admittedly I didn't see it at the time.