Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 5th April @ 7.35pm Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 5th April @ 7.35pm Premier Sports

Post by kingofthehill »

Bart S wrote:Lowry is only 20
After missing most of last year he only made his debut tihs year
He has gained some great experience this year of the demands of playing at the highest level
It has bren physically challenging for him
He has been signed on a full contract
Playing 10 is one of the most high oressure and scrutinised positions
Ulster will have more options at 15 next season

Lowry will be better placed to cope with the demands of playing 10 with the experiences of this season under his belt and a summer with the strength and conditioning team. If he doesn’t get much game time next season at 10 then either Burns has got much better or Lowry is maybe not the new Jack Kyle after all. I very much exoect him to get opportunities next season and if things don’t go well on occasions that people remember he is young and very much learning. Things which work as a superstar kid don’t always have the same effect at this kevel where people can get at you more easily.

Already opinions on here range from the new Jack Kyle to not being big enough for professional rugby.

Management and the coaching team appear to have done a hell of a lot more right than wrong so far, so let’s have a bit of patience here. If Burns has been taking the heat off Lowry at 10 then maybe that is good in the longer term, regardless of whether he becomes “world class” or not.
Simple
When Luke and Stu are available they will be in the centre. Addison will play 15. Lowry will play 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote:Already opinions on here range from the new Jack Kyle to not being big enough for professional rugby.
I'll make a bold prediction ... he'll be somewhere in between.

Of course many would suggest that Jack Kyle himself wasn't big enough to be a professional rugby player. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

kingofthehill wrote:
Bart S wrote:Lowry is only 20
After missing most of last year he only made his debut tihs year
He has gained some great experience this year of the demands of playing at the highest level
It has bren physically challenging for him
He has been signed on a full contract
Playing 10 is one of the most high oressure and scrutinised positions
Ulster will have more options at 15 next season

Lowry will be better placed to cope with the demands of playing 10 with the experiences of this season under his belt and a summer with the strength and conditioning team. If he doesn’t get much game time next season at 10 then either Burns has got much better or Lowry is maybe not the new Jack Kyle after all. I very much exoect him to get opportunities next season and if things don’t go well on occasions that people remember he is young and very much learning. Things which work as a superstar kid don’t always have the same effect at this kevel where people can get at you more easily.

Already opinions on here range from the new Jack Kyle to not being big enough for professional rugby.

Management and the coaching team appear to have done a hell of a lot more right than wrong so far, so let’s have a bit of patience here. If Burns has been taking the heat off Lowry at 10 then maybe that is good in the longer term, regardless of whether he becomes “world class” or not.
Simple
When Luke and Stu are available they will be in the centre. Addison will play 15. Lowry will play 10.

Good combination there, yes Lowry could be very good at 10 where he's not as exposed because of height and his fast footwork could well give a few forwards problems from that position.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

I like Lowry a lot.
His attitude and demeanour about Kingspan is supposed to be first class.
He is an amazing school boy talent who has come back from injury to play out of position in a struggling side and fitted in as well as coping admirably.
I'd start him at 10 and build the team around him.
He won't shirk tackles and the size issue is less relevance than any other position as we should have a good enough back row to offer him protection.
He's got the attitude and skill set to go far.

Shane Williams did okay from what I remember who was a man of similar size.
I don't recall many occasions where his size was exposed but rather teams and coaches were intelligent enough to play to his strengths and protect his weaknesses.
Two exceptions to this were Clive Woodward and Steve Hansen.
Weren't prepared to do this and Williams game went to pot under their management.
To manage Lowry and get the best out of him we would have to build a side around himto allow his talent to blossom.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dr Dave couldn’t tackle yet he did OK for a 10... Lowry can tackle and is brave maybe too much so... I see no issue with him on the pitch and giving him minutes at 15 for now. If you are good enough you play so next year will a lot.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cockatrice wrote:Dr Dave couldn’t tackle yet he did OK for a 10... Lowry can tackle and is brave maybe too much so... I see no issue with him on the pitch and giving him minutes at 15 for now. If you are good enough you play so next year will a lot.
100%,better to get game time now than not play at all. Next year with hopefully a full deck of cards you will see him oust Burns.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Frank wrote:I like Lowry a lot.
His attitude and demeanour about Kingspan is supposed to be first class.
He is an amazing school boy talent who has come back from injury to play out of position in a struggling side and fitted in as well as coping admirably.
I'd start him at 10 and build the team around him.
He won't shirk tackles and the size issue is less relevance than any other position as we should have a good enough back row to offer him protection.
He's got the attitude and skill set to go far.

Shane Williams did okay from what I remember who was a man of similar size.
I don't recall many occasions where his size was exposed but rather teams and coaches were intelligent enough to play to his strengths and protect his weaknesses.
Two exceptions to this were Clive Woodward and Steve Hansen.
Weren't prepared to do this and Williams game went to pot under their management.
To manage Lowry and get the best out of him we would have to build a side around himto allow his talent to blossom.
+1
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lowry at 10

His size creates problems -- it makes him a target for every back row in the Pro14 (+) -- being target number one means he can not lie flat --- on kicks by Lowry the wings will have to run 10 metres to make the gain line which makes it harder to put pressure on the receiving defender -- also to break the gain line the backs must run at least 10 metres.

I am not in favour of flat back lines but Lowry makes a flat line impossible -- its nice to have it as an option -- and while others may come into the line flat -- eg a wing with Lowry at 10 the receiver maybe to easily identified.

Lowry has lots of talent no doubt whether 10 is the best option as some think is debatable .

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box -- if Gilroy returns to fitness then Ulster have a number of options on the Wing and could move Stockdale to Fullback where he could become more involved joining the line between the centres etc as Baggy pointed out on the wing Stockdale looks uninvolved on occasions due to having to filled his position in the defence.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Starting to think KOTH is Lowrys Da... :lol:
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

pip14 wrote:Starting to think KOTH is Lowrys Da... :lol:
Been talking about him for years, glad to see him getting a look in. Would be great to see him playing in his best position.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He's young and he needs time.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

He could be world class.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:He's young and he needs time.
He is young
He's afraid
Let him rest
Heaven blessed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Regarding Lowry's age, as I've pointed out umpteen times, he is older than PJ was when he played in a Heiny final.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He is also younger than young Billy.