What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I have several issues with Falou's post.
It was undoubtedly ill considered and it appears to me to be deliberately provocative and not accurate.
It is also glib comment that a complex biblical issue, an issue that cannot be properly discussed through the use of slogans, Instagram posts or on this forum.
The biblical concept of unrepentant sin is not something to be given short shrift.
That said, his post does not constitute hate speech nor does it make him a bigot. He simply stated what he believes; be that right or be it wrong.

I'll call him a fool for believing that such an churlish, misjudged posting would do anything to positively impact debate or the cause of Christ.

As a side issue, why are people taking such issue with a "nonexistent God" condemning people to a "nonexistent hell" in His "made up book of fairy stories"? Surely it's all fake news?
A nice piece of straight-splaining there. To you it isn't hatespeech or bigotry because you are not the subject of the emotionally abusive message. I have spoken to a friend who is gay and a Christian, he has a very different view than yours.

I think you are reading too much into the theology of whether Folau's claims are legitimate. Looking at it broadly, the message of that post is that, if you are gay/lesbian or have addiction disorder, you are fundamentally a morally corrupt person. To such an extent you must be punished by burning for eternity. This is an horrific concept to any rational or sane individual. Also the idea that someone who is gay/lesbian must or even can change has been a precursor to harmful and unnecessary practices such as 'gay cure therapy' nonsense, propagated in religious circles.

Now, like you say it is fake news. It really doesn't matter that it is a fairytale. It's not the threat of hell, unless like my friend who is Christian, it is the wholesale demonising of a particular group of people. This behaviour fuels further hatred and discrimination.

I feel for any up and coming Aussie rugby players who identify as gay......it will be a dark day for rugby if this tool is not dismissed.
I totally agree with this statement "it is the wholesale demonising of a particular group of people. This behaviour fuels further hatred and discrimination."
Careless use of glip throwaway terminology is never helpful and destroys any hope of measured discourse.
I dont agree with the premise of this "To you it isn't hatespeech or bigotry because you are not the subject of the emotionally abusive message." I actually tend to take greater exception to attacks against others than attacks against myself. I'm quite happy in my own skin.
I am often derided and have my intellect questioned because I'm a Christian. That's not hate speech either. It's just a difference of opinion framed in language designed to agitate and provoke. For me, hate speech incites action whether violent or discriminatory against a group of people because of who they are, what they believe or any other penchant, proclivity or manner as long as it isn't immoral.
I abhor and repudiate any form of bigotry or discrimination.
As for the reading too much into the Theology of Falou's statement. No can do. Theology is my thing.
The problem is, and it's a big problem, he carelessly misrepresents what I consider to be the correct biblical position. This is something that many Christians do and it leads to the complete breakdown in any possible discussion. People generally don't want a nuanced civilised discourse, they just want to hurl brickbats and state their view.
I think you might be better served speaking to people who are effected by Folau's remarks. We will probably not agree on a definition of hatespeech. For me, singling out a particularly maligned group to be subject an abusive diatribe would constitute hatespeech. We can agree to disagree. I'm all for brickbat hurling mind you.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
As a side issue, why are people taking such issue with a "nonexistent God" condemning people to a "nonexistent hell" in His "made up book of fairy stories"? Surely it's all fake news?
It's not a God (nonexistant or otherwise) that people are taking issue with though is it?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

No surprise that Saracens have taken exception to Billy Vunipola's remarks - Saracens have been traditional enemies of Christendom in the past.

Is it just me that sees a flaw in their stance?
"We recognise that people have different belief systems and we expect everyone to be treated equally with respect and humility ... Billy Vunipola's recent social media posts are inconsistent with this and we take this matter very seriously.

Obviously they don't treat Billy's beliefs equally or with respect or humility ...

Saracens? Huh? :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Montgomery to Worcester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:No surprise that Saracens have taken exception to Billy Vunipola's remarks - Saracens have been traditional enemies of Christendom in the past.

"We recognise that people have different belief systems and we expect everyone to be treated equally with respect and humility ... Billy Vunipola's recent social media posts are inconsistent with this and we take this matter very seriously.

Obviously they don't treat Billy's beliefs equally or with respect or humility ...

I don't see a flaw. While Billy is entitled to hold those beliefs they do not entitle him to disrespect large sections of the community.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

kingofthehill wrote:Montgomery to Worcester.
Shame thought he looked eager and had aggression in the limited times I saw him. Was hoping he would get an opportunity, we need a blindside.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:No surprise that Saracens have taken exception to Billy Vunipola's remarks - Saracens have been traditional enemies of Christendom in the past.

I don't see a flaw. While Billy is entitled to hold those beliefs they do not entitle him to disrespect large sections of the community.
Respect/disrespect are earned, not a right. I would suggest that respect doesn't come into this. What Billy is not entitled to do is treat anyone differently because of their gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.

I don't see him actually doing that, he has simply expressed an opinion. If he does actually do anything to another individual, then of course he deserves to be sanctioned.

Now because of his beliefs, others may disrespect him, (and clearly do) but I think he is aware of that and even expects it.

The point I was making though is that by taking by taking action against Billy for expressing an opinion, unless that is clearly against any code of conduct that has been made clear to him (and even then they could be on dodgy ground), it could be argued that Saracens (and RFU?) are discriminating against him because of his religion. I.E. doing the very thing they accuse him of, but according to religion rather than sexual orientation or whatever.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

I’m going to hell if there is one. I’m ok with it. I could care less whatever a professional rugby player thinks about that.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Faddes starts for the Highlanders in the morning. Injury must not have been too severe then. Any word on this signing being confirmed yet?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:Faddes starts for the Highlanders in the morning. Injury must not have been too severe then. Any word on this signing being confirmed yet?

Possibly waiting until we are knocked out of the playoffs.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I thought it had been. Agree with you Capn, logically, literally and legally.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I thought it had been. Agree with you Capn, logically, literally and legally.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Faddes doing well. Has a nice chip kick and some decent pace for a guy who still looks to be carrying a knock.

Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’m excited for next season. Full pre season with DMcF, systems bedding in nicely, good recruitment to bolster team/squad, young players really kicking on in development - building very nicely indeed.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Still short a back row.

Can't flog Marcel, Murphy, Reidy, Timoney all season.