Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

launish116
Initiate

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by launish116 »

Howd he get on regardless of the conditioning? Scrumaging?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

launish116 wrote:Howd he get on regardless of the conditioning? Scrumaging?
There wasn't really enough to see to form an opinion. He held up the scrums he was involved in, work rate as Dave pointed out was not particularly high but then he is a tight head prop. Didn't have any carries from memory. He's well over the 6ft mark, much taller than any tight head I remember us having in recent years.

Although he can play both sides of the scrum he looks to me an out and out tight head.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Milasinovich on for the last 25 minutes against Gloucester. Currently on BT Sport 1.
Hope they get him in early for preseason.
Thon fella'll not break much delph! Same could have been said about Marty Moo though this time last year.
Very true. He is a monster. Just needs to improve conditioning.
Then he'll be Head And Shoulders above the rest.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Milasinovich on for the last 25 minutes against Gloucester. Currently on BT Sport 1.
Thon fella'll not break much delph! Same could have been said about Marty Moo though this time last year.
I was thinking that Cap Grumpy might have picked up on that lol.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
launish116 wrote:Howd he get on regardless of the conditioning? Scrumaging?
There wasn't really enough to see to form an opinion. He held up the scrums he was involved in, work rate as Dave pointed out was not particularly high but then he is a tight head prop. Didn't have any carries from memory. He's well over the 6ft mark, much taller than any tight head I remember us having in recent years.

Although he can play both sides of the scrum he looks to me an out and out tight head.
Although I only saw the last ten minutes. From what I saw, he staggered from ruck to ruck, inspecting every single one.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

We are in need of a good ruck inspector these days.

It has been one area where there has been strength in depth in recent years but sadly this season some have departed and others have lost form completely.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Pretty sure Shanners was given a new contract during the season. Otherwise I would have taken Duncan Williams whom Mulster are ketting go. Would be a better backup to Conney IMHO. Not top Heiny standard but decent enough for pro14.

But since we have Shammers i would imagine that budget plus a desire to finally bring through a decent young’un sometime in the future would preclude that.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dan and co have not done a lot wrong this season but one area we really need to work on for next season is establish an alternative to Burns. It is certainly not clear to me who si currently the back up 10 as it could be any of McPhillips, Cooney, Lowry or Nelson. I’d like to think that Lowry will be given a decent go after pre- season, as with Addison and Faddes around plus the return of Ludik, we have some decent alternatives at 15. Lowry himself also says he wants a go at 10 at some stage in the future and sees his longer term there.

For me the Leinster game was the ideal opportunity to see Lowry at 10 and oarticularly when McPhillips went off the fact that Nelson moved into 10 was a concern for me going forward.

Whiever it is needs to get some decent gametime in the position as well. McPhillips may never be good enough (i don’t know) but what us clear is that he was better kast season with a few games under his belt than thrown in the odd time this season. That is tough for any young 10.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy's only just read this thread, so a little late to the game.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:Hope they get him in early for preseason.
Cap'n Grumpy's only just read this thread, so a little late to the game.
These summer sports are becoming quite the distraction.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bart S wrote:Dan and co have not done a lot wrong this season but one area we really need to work on for next season is establish an alternative to Burns. It is certainly not clear to me who si currently the back up 10 as it could be any of McPhillips, Cooney, Lowry or Nelson. I’d like to think that Lowry will be given a decent go after pre- season, as with Addison and Faddes around plus the return of Ludik, we have some decent alternatives at 15. Lowry himself also says he wants a go at 10 at some stage in the future and sees his longer term there.

For me the Leinster game was the ideal opportunity to see Lowry at 10 and oarticularly when McPhillips went off the fact that Nelson moved into 10 was a concern for me going forward.

Whiever it is needs to get some decent gametime in the position as well. McPhillips may never be good enough (i don’t know) but what us clear is that he was better kast season with a few games under his belt than thrown in the odd time this season. That is tough for any young 10.
I had heard Nelson is out of contract at present, not 100% sure though if that means he is going somewhere else or may still be offered a place.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Our last ruck inspector just got relegated from the Avivabosh. Very strange he didn’t make a huge difference at Newcastle .
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Milo I’m presuming is a DMacF signing and therefore I trust his judgement. No doubt they’ll have checked his attitude out re workrate to fit into this new hardwork culture we’re building. They’ll work on his conditioning no doubt once he arrives DMacF isn’t going to stand for a lazy prop, nevermind sign one. Whether a starter or not he’ll not want any lazy players within that squad. Look how he treated SvdM and fat Rod....he’ll stand no no nonsense.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Re: Ulster 2018-2019
Postby cormac » May 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Watching the Brumbies v Blues today, one of the commentators mentioned that Lealiifano was out of contract at the end of the season and had offers from the Brumbies, France, Japan and Ireland on the table. I'm guessing it's Ulster who have offered him a contract.

Above From Leinster Fans Forum
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

SparkyClarky wrote:Re: Ulster 2018-2019
Postby cormac » May 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Watching the Brumbies v Blues today, one of the commentators mentioned that Lealiifano was out of contract at the end of the season and had offers from the Brumbies, France, Japan and Ireland on the table. I'm guessing it's Ulster who have offered him a contract.

Above From Leinster Fans Forum
Aye, already posted Sparky, there's also a newspaper article, see link below :thumleft:

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Postby McPepper » Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 pm
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... es-future/

They must have been referring to this article, second paragraph.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18