Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

prawnsarnies
Novice

Re: Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Post by prawnsarnies »

Dave wrote:
againstthehead wrote:Ulster really have an a remarkable season considering the last 18 months or so. I haven't been able to watch the side as much as previous seasons so what has went right? Coach, players or a combination of everything?
It's a bit of both, players and coaches. The injury jinx has not been as vicious as previous years. Marcell in particular has been excellent. It really shows what we have missed. Having Hendo, Jordi, Rory and Marcell available for big games has been great. The emergence of EOS and the signing of Marty Moore has helped the scrum considerably. Dan seems to have had a great effect on Treadwell, Timoney EOS.

Also in the backs the emergence of Baloucoune, Lowry and Lyttle with some luck on the injury front. Will Addison has been a revelation. Luke has returned on form.
You'd imagine that the introduction of Soper has made a hell of a difference. Developing better continuity, skills are a world improved from the dropped passes of last season.
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
Rem99
Initiate

Post by Rem99 »

Top ticket buying tip!!! Use the choose your own seat option. Otherwise the Glasgow ticket system just chooses the next seat in the row - you could end up right at the end of a row when seats are still available in the middle of the East Stand in the middle of the Ulster ticket allocation!!
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Stockdale has to play FB for this one. I’m just not convinced with lowry there. Yes Outhalf but he’s not a 15, too small, gets beaten in the air most times and his positional play can be pretty poor at times
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

prawnsarnies wrote:
Dave wrote:
againstthehead wrote:Ulster really have an a remarkable season considering the last 18 months or so. I haven't been able to watch the side as much as previous seasons so what has went right? Coach, players or a combination of everything?
It's a bit of both, players and coaches. The injury jinx has not been as vicious as previous years. Marcell in particular has been excellent. It really shows what we have missed. Having Hendo, Jordi, Rory and Marcell available for big games has been great. The emergence of EOS and the signing of Marty Moore has helped the scrum considerably. Dan seems to have had a great effect on Treadwell, Timoney EOS.

Also in the backs the emergence of Baloucoune, Lowry and Lyttle with some luck on the injury front. Will Addison has been a revelation. Luke has returned on form.
You'd imagine that the introduction of Soper has made a hell of a difference. Developing better continuity, skills are a world improved from the dropped passes of last season.
Soper has been really good. Ulster pass the ball more than any other team in the league and that only works if the key skills are there. Treaders has been a revelation in this regards and he doesn't look like dropping the ball anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:
prawnsarnies wrote:
Dave wrote:

Soper has been really good. Ulster pass the ball more than any other team in the league and that only works if the key skills are there. Treaders has been a revelation in this regards and he doesn't look like dropping the ball anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Soper has been fantastic. It used to be knock on after knock on, when watching Ulster but you don't see that very often.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I watched Peel and Tredders do a catching drill one on one during warm up. Peel took the ball about 5m or so away and booted it at the big lad. He caught every one and some were spectacular. I was thinking similar thoughts about his play last year and his dropping tendency, and to me this seemed like an issue that had been picked up and individually addressed.

We always used to joke about Ulster' s passing drills in warm up and how they looked brill, only to fall apart under pressure. Some of the skills now seem to be translating across into the match.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Deraless wrote:I watched Peel and Tredders do a catching drill one on one during warm up. Peel took the ball about 5m or so away and booted it at the big lad. He caught every one and some were spectacular. I was thinking similar thoughts about his play last year and his dropping tendency, and to me this seemed like an issue that had been picked up and individually addressed.

We always used to joke about Ulster' s passing drills in warm up and how they looked brill, only to fall apart under pressure. Some of the skills now seem to be translating across into the match.

I remember Gareth Steenson telling a story about a stage in his career whereby his tackling was perceived as not great by the opposition so they would deliberately target him. How did the Exeter coaching team address this? In the warm up he'd have to make 5 tackles against their biggest forward running straight at him. Face your demons and work ons straight in the face during the warm then you are ready for them come kick off. Simple but effective.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Deraless wrote:I watched Peel and Tredders do a catching drill one on one during warm up. Peel took the ball about 5m or so away and booted it at the big lad. He caught every one and some were spectacular. I was thinking similar thoughts about his play last year and his dropping tendency, and to me this seemed like an issue that had been picked up and individually addressed.

I remember Gareth Steenson telling a story about a stage in his career whereby his tackling was perceived as not great by the opposition so they would deliberately target him. How did the Exeter coaching team address this? In the warm up he'd have to make 5 tackles against their biggest forward running straight at him. Face your demons and work ons straight in the face during the warm then you are ready for them come kick off. Simple but effective.
I agree. Used to wonder why Ulster did not get 1F to keep running at Ian Humohreys in training. Makes you look like a d**k if you keep missing or making no attempt in front of everyone. May not have worked of course but surely worth giving it a go.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Post by rumncoke »

Lowry has talent to spare but Professional Rugby isn’t just about talent — it’s also about size ( unfortunately).

Small and talented add up to target for the day — and the closer the talent is to the front five — then the greater the chance of hitting the target and exploiting the disadvantage .

How Ulster can benefit from Lowry’s talent is the question? my gut instinct is to say it won’t be at 10. Too many big professional back rows in the game . Talent can survive at school level and club level but Lowry is trying to play at professional level and the game for him would become one of survival playing 10.

The difference this year is Ulster’s back row - experience and know how of Murphy and Coetzee and Timoney has now the benefit of both his own experience and their experience .

Henderson has not had to shift from second row to back row .
Similarly Treadwell has also the benefit of his previous year at 2nd row and a change of Coaches .

The improvement in the forwards has given the backline the opportunity to develop as a unit but it has as a unit a difficult year due to injury and to a large degree the continued présence week in week out of McCloskey at 12 must be a major factor in its development .

Forgive the lack of punctuation but iPhones and Tapatalk don’t lend themselves to easy revision .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

I agree. Used to wonder why Ulster did not get 1F to keep running at Ian Humohreys in training
. Makes you look like a d**k if you keep missing or making no attempt in front of everyone. May not have worked of course but surely worth giving it a go.
They wrre worried this would happen https://youtu.be/D5FU0ZMRB_Q
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
boyg
Novice

Post by boyg »

rumncoke wrote:Lowry has talent to spare but Professional Rugby isn’t just about talent — it’s also about size ( unfortunately).

Small and talented add up to target for the day — and the closer the talent is to the front five — then the greater the chance of hitting the target and exploiting the disadvantage .

How Ulster can benefit from Lowry’s talent is the question? my gut instinct is to say it won’t be at 10. Too many big professional back rows in the game . Talent can survive at school level and club level but Lowry is trying to play at professional level and the game for him would become one of survival playing 10.

The difference this year is Ulster’s back row - experience and know how of Murphy and Coetzee and Timoney has now the benefit of both his own experience and their experience .

Similarly Treadwell has also the benefit of his previous year at 2nd row and a change of Coaches .

The improvement in the forwards has given the backline the opportunity to develop as a unit but it has as a unit a difficult year due to injury and to a large degree the continued présence week in week out of McCloskey at 12 must be a major factor in its development .

Forgive the lack of punctuation but iPhones and Tapatalk don’t lend themselves to easy revision .

The continued presence of Stuart at 12 has undoubtedly been a big bonus but without the experience of Darren and Luke we have often been a bit at sea in defence. Our younger wingers have often been caught too narrow trying to punch in 'Trimblesque' fashion and opposition have taken advantage on the outside channels. While they have continued to be guilty of it over the past few weeks with Luke back in situ we can see the impact of his organisational and communication skills. He makes a lot of visual impact with the likes of his read and hit on Carty but his work off the ball is where he makes his biggest contribution to the team.

boyg
Novice

Post by boyg »

The continued presence of Stuart at 12 has undoubtedly been a big bonus but without the experience of Darren and Luke we have often been a bit at sea in defence. Our younger wingers have often been caught too narrow trying to punch in 'Trimblesque' fashion and opposition have taken advantage on the outside channels. While they have continued to be guilty of it over the past few weeks with Luke back in situ we can see the impact of his organisational and communication skills. He makes a lot of visual impact with the likes of his read and hit on Carty but his work off the ball is where he makes his biggest contribution to the team.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Let’s just hope that season wise we have saved the best to the last. I personally put the last result in Glasgow down the Heineken Semi final versus a weeks rest for Glasgow. This time we have a recovery week and time to plan our game whereas Glasgow have a 3 week gap in which to become bored and lethargic.
Anyway that’s what I am hoping for. Also remember they robbed us of a home final at Kingspan so we owe them one. Remember their fans at Kingspan not a pretty memory.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

boyg wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Lowry has talent to spare but Professional Rugby isn’t just about talent — it’s also about size ( unfortunately).

boyg wrote:The continued presence of Stuart at 12 has undoubtedly been a big bonus but without the experience of Darren and Luke we have often been a bit at sea in defence. Our younger wingers have often been caught too narrow trying to punch in 'Trimblesque' fashion and opposition have taken advantage on the outside channels. While they have continued to be guilty of it over the past few weeks with Luke back in situ we can see the impact of his organisational and communication skills. He makes a lot of visual impact with the likes of his read and hit on Carty but his work off the ball is where he makes his biggest contribution to the team.

That's quite some positional sense you've got there yerself? :duck: :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rem99
Initiate

Post by Rem99 »