Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

If Rumn wrote logical sentences to make valid points rather than introducing comments which have absolutely no relevance to the thread and later trying to justify them by saying they were hypothetical, they might be worth reading.

Nah, not really.

and before you all jump up and down and get your knickers in a twist

Note my comment

Started with the word

If
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Hello Rum, can you please post the definition of "Moron" that you have called several persons on this board? Just so I am clear you are clear.

BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

[quote="UlsterNo9]

I watched Doak play for Ulster Vs Australia and without him I'd be confident they would have lost otherwise.[/quote]

Out of interest why do you think that? I was at the game.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Knows nothing wrote:[quote="UlsterNo9]

I watched Doak play for Ulster Vs Australia and without him I'd be confident they would have lost otherwise.
Out of interest why do you think that? I was at the game.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Continually found grass through kicking deep to the Australian full back relieving pressure (oz fullback was nowhere to be found).
Accurate if not the fastest pass.
Streetwise... I remember Ulster scrum under scrutiny and he had the wit at his age to look every time to the touch judge to influence the referees decision.
He's not flashy, he's well schooled, makes the right decision under pressure. If I was a betting man I'd say he watches every game with his Da asking him....... what would you do in this scenario .... what would you do with these options in front of you. He played the percentages extremely well. He takes pressure off others around him.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

We shall see, I thought Stewart looked the better prospect at his age and well he hasn't worked out for whatever reason yet.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Aaron Sexton won the Irish schools 100m and 200m. He won the 100m in 10.43!! That is a phenomenal time. His 200m metre was the fastest u20 time in Europe this year. He is only 18 but what an amazing potential he has. Big lad too.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote:Aaron Sexton won the Irish schools 100m and 200m. He won the 100m in 10.43!! That is a phenomenal time. His 200m metre was the fastest u20 time in Europe this year. He is only 18 but what an amazing potential he has. Big lad too.
7s lad then for a while anyway.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Neill_M wrote:
Dave wrote:Aaron Sexton won the Irish schools 100m and 200m. He won the 100m in 10.43!! That is a phenomenal time. His 200m metre was the fastest u20 time in Europe this year. He is only 18 but what an amazing potential he has. Big lad too.
Nope, he has already been doing that if you went and looked,
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Neill_M wrote:
Nope, he has already been doing that if you went and looked,
He is doing it again this year if u read this forum.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Who has Sexton been playing 7s with? I can't find anything on it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Going by what king said that he wouldnt be seen in an Ulster shirt this year. Someone with his speed would be on 7s radar.

Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

Dave wrote:Who has Sexton been playing 7s with? I can't find anything on it.
Ire u18 a year or two ago. Angus k was capt. They won. European champs. Its on YouTube.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:Going by what king said that he wouldnt be seen in an Ulster shirt this year. Someone with his speed would be on 7s radar.

Sexton is playing 7s next year. Won’t be in an Ulster shirt at least for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Article on Stewart Moore in the42.ie

https://www.the42.ie/stewart-moore-irel ... 6-Jun2019/
Moore ready to make a mark for Ireland U20 after concussion kept him out of Six Nations

CONCUSSION DOES SOME very, very odd things to the sufferer’s thought processes and mindset.

As onlookers, we’ve become all too familiar with the sight of players trying to talk down the affects of the ‘head knock,’ even making an effort to shun their immediate medical responder and try to play on.

‘Be grand,‘ goes the typical ignorant man approach to health and well-being.

For up-and-coming Ulster centre Stewart Moore, there was actually a strange moment of clarity. The 19-year-old suffered a concussion in a pre-Christmas U20 trial against Leinster in Donnybrook, but the first thought he remembers was the prescient knowledge that this was not something he could walk off in a day or two.

“When I did it I was completely out of it,” the centre said before heading off to Argentina for this week’s World Rugby U20 Championship, “but I remember waking up in hospital and kinda knowing what was happening there.

“The first thing I said to my mum was, ‘oh, that’s the Six Nations.’ I was distraught watching it and my parents didn’t actually like me watching it and stuff but I wanted to watch it.

“I knew I would be back for the World Cup and I knew I would want that position if I could get it.”

During his three months out with concussion he returned to Dublin for reassuring updates from his neurologist.

“The next day I felt grand, but I just listened to what needs to be done. Angus Curtis, especially, has had a lot of concussions and he had season-ending after Leicester in the Champions Cup.

“Everyone goes through (injuries), they have their lows and ups so it was mainly low the whole season. Hopefully it can end on an up.”

Moore pluralises low, because his return from concussion has been far from straightforward. Back in AIL action with Malone, he picked up a medial collateral ligament injury. That left him sidelined for a further stretch before chasing minutes at the end of the season.

This time, he has progressed through the pre-tournament trial matches, shedding rust and building match fitness as he goes. ‘The position’ he mentions wanting above is the inside centre role that became available with captain David Hawkshaw out injured. Moore is gutted for the Leinster man, but has spent his time on the sidelines wisely, picking over Ireland’s midfield play to make sure that he can hit the ground running on his U20 debut.

“I watched all the games and how Hawkshaw plays. I know the role and exactly what he wants. I watched Angus Curtis the year before as well so I know the style they want to play and I will just do that to the best of my ability.”

“I was obviously jealous (of playing a part in the Grand Slam) but it was great for the lads. I have trained with them and played with them and played against them and just watching them go out there was class. I had no doubts about them against England or France. I knew they were going to do it.”

“With the three months and the concussion as well you can train but you can’t do contact. So you are training away and good fitness-wise and I felt really good coming back into the rugby. A bit nervous obviously because it was my head and contact and stuff but (Ulster skills coach) Dan Soper is there and he is taking injured skills and he is top class. There are boys still keeping their skills up as well as their gym and fitness.”

Injuries aside, and hopefully behind him, the past year has still represented a time of forward progress for Moore even if he has not been on the field anywhere near as much as he would like.

With an academy berth in place, he had to cancel plans to go on holiday in Magaluf last summer and instead slotted in for senior training.

He made his Ulster debut shortly after turning 19 in a pre-season fixture against Gloucester. Senior rugby has been a steep learning curve, but he has enjoyed working through it.

“You have boys like Will Addison, who has been a great help on and off the field. It is big jump but when you are exposed so much to that.

“I did the whole pre-season, which was unexpected, and I enjoyed it. I felt like I had a really good pre-season behind me and I started the pre-season games against Wasps and Gloucester.

“Got injured again so it has probably been the hardest year of rugby in terms of loads and stuff, but it is nice that I’ve been brought back into the seniors and into the mix as soon as I’ve come back from injury.

“It’s been good getting that exposure to players like Stu McCloskey, Luke Marshall — I’ve been training in the ‘injured club’ with Luke for a good bit so it’s good to see him back. It just shows quickly you can go from that to playing in the Champions Cup.”

“I feel, going to the next pre-season, that I do belong there and they are great lads.

“You are training beside Jacob Stockdale, who is possibly the hottest winger in world rugby and you are passing to him and he is passing back, you do feel a sense of belonging.”
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Very much looking forward to watching some more of Moore this summer and seeing how he develops. Concussions are really quite worrying that said, along with Curtis'.