What are you watching?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: What are you watching?

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:For those of us old enough to remember the Chernobyl disaster, the drama of the same name is well worth a watch. For those not old enough to remember it is well worth a watch. Chilling stuff! Can be viewed on Sky Atlantic and Now TV.
There were lambs running round the mountains that glowed in the dark after that.
Excellent piece of TV. Very scary stuff. Nobody knew the full extent of the risk at the time!

Mrs BM used to monitor the after effects for the Dept of Agriculture. The sheep got a bit radioactive on the high ground but that came down to acceptable levels when they were grazed on lowland pastures for a while before slaughter. Don't think most of the public were aware of all that either.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
Rooster wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:For those of us old enough to remember the Chernobyl disaster, the drama of the same name is well worth a watch. For those not old enough to remember it is well worth a watch. Chilling stuff! Can be viewed on Sky Atlantic and Now TV.
There were lambs running round the mountains that glowed in the dark after that.
Excellent piece of TV. Very scary stuff. Nobody knew the full extent of the risk at the time!

Mrs BM used to monitor the after effects for the Dept of Agriculture. The sheep got a bit radioactive on the high ground but that came down to acceptable levels when they were grazed on lowland pastures for a while before slaughter. Don't think most of the public were aware of all that either.
Aye, they never got too bad here, some in Antrim hills and Sperrins but a few weeks in lowland areas that didn't get the rain a few days after the event soon brought them around fairly quickly, think it was about 2010 before there were cleared for direct sale and even more recent in parts of Walea and Cumbria. There are still some tests on Caesium in the grass going on I think
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

RTE Investigates: Greyhounds Running For Their Lives. 16k greyhound pups born every year and nearly 6k killed if they don't make the grade for racing. Absolutely shameful this "sport" is funded so heavily by the Irish government. Disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

shamalicious wrote:RTE Investigates: Greyhounds Running For Their Lives. 16k greyhound pups born every year and nearly 6k killed if they don't make the grade for racing. Absolutely shameful this "sport" is funded so heavily by the Irish government. Disgusting.

Absolutely. We 've all heard anecdotal stories about small time owners who treat their dogs wel,l but the "industry" as a whole is a disgrace. Mercifully dog racing is in decline and delighted that Drumbo closed this year.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Sadly Shammy, it's the same in the horse racing world.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Sadly Shammy, it's the same in the horse racing world.
Didn't know that, MMM. I had always assumed that horsey people were all mad about their animals and treated them very well. But, I suppose as soon as a pasttime becomes a sport and a sport becomes an industry, things change.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:Sadly Shammy, it's the same in the horse racing world.
Didn't know that, MMM. I had always assumed that horsey people were all mad about their animals and treated them very well. But, I suppose as soon as a pasttime becomes a sport and a sport becomes an industry, things change.
How many horses are shot at Aintree every year? It's worse than the IOM TT, and at least those mad b@stards have a choice.
Big Neville Southall
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Horse racing is incredibly cruel as well. The RTE programme is brutal watching but necessary to effect any sort of change.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Some people treat animals very badly, even in horseracing. Even I don't deny that. We have seen cases in GB where a couple of trainers basically should have been sent to prison for the disgraceful way they treated the horses under their care. The British Horseracing Board did as much as they could by taking away their training licences. The fact they did shows at least there is an appetite to try to protect the welfare of the horses.

I am not saying there are not isolated terrible cases but the horseracing industry itself is not scarred. A few horses dying on the racecourse each year does not alter that fact.

Greyhounds definitely have a big problem and it is a problem seen around the world. Ireland and indeed other civilised places like Great Britain and semi-civilised places like the USA should be doing more to clamp down on the abuses.

In places like Macau it is absolutely horrific. However nobody cares.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave Gilmour live in Gdansk

Started over an hour ago, but you can download from the start on Sky Arts.

To be followed by Classic Albums - Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Dave Gilmour live in Gdansk

Started over an hour ago, but you can download from the start on Sky Arts.

To be followed by Classic Albums - Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.
Sky Arts is brilliant :thumleft:
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Went to see the Miami Showband story in th'Opera House.

Bit meh. The music was shyte but considering the subject matter, that was a given. The young ensemble performed admirably but the script was very weak. Surprising given the reputations enjoyed by Marie Jones and Martin Lynch.

Just before the interval I had to restrain meself from shouting "SHOOT THEM NOW!!"

I'll always regret that, because it might have been the best heckle since the audience at Pia Zadora's "Anne Frank" all shouted "SHE'S IN THE ATTIC" when the Gestapo arrived on stage :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Ramddo
Novice

Post by Ramddo »

John Wick 3, I liked it a lot
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

His Dark Materials. Looks as if the Beeb gave done a very good job with this. Certainly considerably better than the sanitized Hollywood version.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Anyone going to see Frank Skinner on Saturday?

Seen him a couple of times before. Not for the easily offended.