Japan RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Japan RWC

Post by solidarity »

What sort of an eejit is he? A once in a lifetime opprtunity and he messes it up like this. Or is it likely to be an old sin that requires a 'historical investigation'?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not to sure how you could really "fix" an International setting in an assistant coaches bench to be honest. 'Fixing' would require the input of players but in the end it comes down to the type of bet -- I know that in las Vegas on the Super bowl the number of bets available was well into the hundreds.

The unfortunate thing is a "gambler " will have bet on anything .

Anyway what has gambling to do with the RWC other than I wouldn't bet on Ireland getting past the quarters to be honest ,

The walking wounded -- Henshaw and Kearney -- the fragile-- Earls and Carberry -- injuries waiting to happen --Sexton and to a lesser extent Murray and Ringrose-- and then perm any 2 from the forwards although the backup forwards are closer in ability than the backup backs and therefore not as likely to affect the performance of the team . But the forwards could be collectively carrying bumps etc which could affect the performance of the pack by the time of the quarters .

For Ireland to beat either New Zealand or the South Africans the team really needs to in prime condition and my view by that stage Ireland will be down to three cylinders.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Conway and Larmour for Earls and Kearney.
They say Kearney has a tight calf. Not clear where the calf is.
O'Mahony to edge Conan.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The only asset Kearney has is his sureness under the highball and there is little difference between Conway and Earls — earls might have a bit more pace .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Liam Williams
Novice

Post by Liam Williams »

I met a player on holidays in Tenerife who used to play international rugby with Rob Howley. He told me his nick-name was 'Jack'. I asked why Jack?. He said "Im alright Jack"...
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 am Not to sure how you could really "fix" an International setting in an assistant coaches bench to be honest. 'Fixing' would require the input of players but in the end it comes down to the type of bet -- I know that in las Vegas on the Super bowl the number of bets available was well into the hundreds.

The unfortunate thing is a "gambler " will have bet on anything .

Anyway what has gambling to do with the RWC other than I wouldn't bet on Ireland getting past the quarters to be honest ,

The walking wounded -- Henshaw and Kearney -- the fragile-- Earls and Carberry -- injuries waiting to happen --Sexton and to a lesser extent Murray and Ringrose-- and then perm any 2 from the forwards although the backup forwards are closer in ability than the backup backs and therefore not as likely to affect the performance of the team . But the forwards could be collectively carrying bumps etc which could affect the performance of the pack by the time of the quarters .

For Ireland to beat either New Zealand or the South Africans the team really needs to in prime condition and my view by that stage Ireland will be down to three cylinders.
Absolutely agree that Ireland need to be at full strength for the QFs. Ireland have a relatively straightforward group so i think the QF can be targeted okay. Scotland can put up a fight on their day and if Japan get a good win over Russia then they will spirited for game 2. Russia will be a walkover. Samoa could be feisty depending on whether they are still in with a shout for qualification.

Ireland have an exceptional pack if the guys are on form and excellent half-backs. Can definitely target a QF and win it. After that, I reckon the squad will be thinned out. Even the bench this weekend looks average at best.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Disagree about the bench. I think it's way stronger than 2015 with the injured players to come back as well.
I agree with your analysis of the group and how it should play out. We beat Scotland comfortably in Murrayfield in February. Hard to see a different result.
Joe will play a completely fresh team for the QF, and my hunch is that we will play NZ.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

As expected us foreigners are excluded from RTE and the Eir coverage both on the Sky platform and via Freeview.. We are stuck with the “ neutral” ITV pundits and commentators.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Our own, our very own Pete Nelson playing for Canada.

All the very best, lad, from all of us at UAFC.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Aird wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:05 pm As expected us foreigners are excluded from RTE and the Eir coverage both on the Sky platform and via Freeview.. We are stuck with the “ neutral” ITV pundits and commentators.

To be expected to be fair. ITV have the exclusive UK rights and Eir the exclusive ROI rights. RTE bought sub rights from Eir for 14 games (all Ireland pool games, all knockout games, today's game and France v Tonga).
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Saw 2nd half. Japan were very average. Won by 20, bookies had them to win by 39. Ireland and Scotland don't have much to worry about if that is Japan's level.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 pm Saw 2nd half. Japan were very average. Won by 20, bookies had them to win by 39. Ireland and Scotland don't have much to worry about if that is Japan's level.
Saw most of it. The Japan full back is a major liability. The poor fecker can't catch a ball. I expected a lot more from them. Maybe they are holding back a bit.....like us. :)
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

The Ireland squad named will have no excuses. This is a game we expect to win.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Australia win game they were expected to win. Fiji played well until the 60 minute mark but you always knew Australia would pull away in the end.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Well France almost made a balls of it but just managed to win.