Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Post by Neill_M »

The Ulster Rugby Medical Performance team has issued a squad update ahead of Saturday’s Heineken Champions Cup fixture against Clermont Auvergne at Stade Marcel Michelin.

Bradley Roberts (ankle), Marty Moore (concussion) and Tom Stewart (foot) sustained injuries during Saturday's defeat to Ospreys in Round 7 of the United Rugby Championship. All three players are unavailable for selection for this weekend's match.

They join Jacob Stockdale (ankle), Luke Marshall (knee), Will Addison (lower leg), Iain Henderson (hamstring), Cormac Izuchukwu (knee) and Jordi Murphy (knee) on the current injury list.

Duane Vermeulen is completing his graduated return to training programme following his recent COVID-19 diagnosis. He remains well, and his fitness to play this weekend will be monitored through the remainder of the week.

Squad updates in association with The Ulster Independent Clinic.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Post by Neill_M »

Game on BT Sport 2.

Referee is Wayne Barnes.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Moore a big loss.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Getting tanked.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Maybe we can score the first try again. A single bonus point would be a great result.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Clermont is a difficult place to get a result possibly the most difficult of all. We are not competitive on their level they have an endless pot of cash, an immense squad and a fortress for a ground. I expect very little other than a decent showing and a wrong side of 10-20 point margin.
This is not a competition we can progress in. That's just the pragmatic reality of it. There is no level playing field in European rugby we are at the top table, but there are a few big beasts who can take us out by the roots.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:08 pm Clermont is a difficult place to get a result possibly the most difficult of all. We are not competitive on their level they have an endless pot of cash, an immense squad and a fortress for a ground. I expect very little other than a decent showing and a wrong side of 10-20 point margin.
This is not a competition we can progress in. That's just the pragmatic reality of it. There is no level playing field in European rugby we are at the top table, but there are a few big beasts who can take us out by the roots.
Don't forget Saracens who are 4/9 favourites for the Challenge Cup. Teams 9-11 in Heineken Pools drop into that at 1 legged Round of 16. Teams 1-8 progress to 2 legged Round of 16 in H Cup.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:15 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:08 pm Clermont is a difficult place to get a result possibly the most difficult of all. We are not competitive on their level they have an endless pot of cash, an immense squad and a fortress for a ground. I expect very little other than a decent showing and a wrong side of 10-20 point margin.
Don't forget Saracens who are 4/9 favourites for the Challenge Cup. Teams 9-11 in Heineken Pools drop into that at 1 legged Round of 16. Teams 1-8 progress to 2 legged Round of 16 in H Cup.
That's another behemoth of a team to overcome. Much as it was good to see them get what they deserve. They end up as the biggest fish in the small pond.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

With no hendo we could do with Duane making this one. Fitness shouldn't be too big an issue even with the covid diagnosis. Time on the pitch with the team will be limited but I'd throw him on from the start anyway if deemed fit.
Aoc and treadwell in the row with Carter on the bench. Big ask for TOT to go 65 mins but we need him to lock down the scrum in the absence of marty. I'd also start jack in the hope he can do a half. Better that than expecting him to cover from the bench, if EOS got injured early mcgrath is not likely to last the game. Backs pick themselves with maybe lyttle over McIlroy to Start.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Clermont are 6-6 in T14 this season in 7th. 5 wins from 6 at home and 1 win from 6 on the road.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

As much as I don’t like the thought of it I’d be ok with not going all in on this fixture. We’ve never gone well there and I don’t see anything in pour current repertoire that suggest an upset. Five points from the opening two games would be a great return and we’d most certainly have Clermonts measure in the return leg. Targeting points away to Northampton seems a more likely bet.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I fear for our scrum. No matter if the lads show up like they did in Dublin ready to scrap for everything, shipping penalties at scrum time will kill us. TOT while lively in the loose hasn't to my mind put in a big scrummaging performance against a top side. I hope he comes of age this weekend, but Ross Kane likely coming off the bench at 60mins is another cause for concern.

Treadwell and AOC in the engine room, with Kearney on the bench. No Carter please, not convinced he's overly interested in playing for Ulster.

If Thor isn't available, I'd like to see Matty Rea, Timoney and McCann in the BR, with Marcus Rea on the bench. Think we need Matty for the lineout although can see the arguement for having Reidy in there as well.

The fairies pick themselves, although would like Madigan starting at 10, which probably isn't likely given he hasn't featured this season yet. So yay, Billy Boy. Prove us wrong son :salut:
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

We don't have a scrum without Marty Moore. He's the one constant over the past few seasons when our scrum has held it's own.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Clermont are beginning to hit their straps after a slow start. Hooker got a hat-trick last week.

DV has to play.

Parra leaving in the summer. Good opportunity for John to put himself in the shop window.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Would argue Marty Moore is actually the biggest loss there in terms of depth.

Would go Warwick, Herring, O’Toole, AOC, Carter (only for the set piece), Timoney, Mar Rea, Vermeulen, Cooney, Burns, Baloucoune, McCloskey, Hume, Gilroy, McIlroy subs - Andrew, EOS, Kane, Treadwell, Reidy, Doak, Lowry, Lyttle

Don’t think McGrath on the bench is a good idea with Andrew and Kane who’ve had about half a minute of rugby between them all season. we will do well to get a losing bonus point from this, but sometimes we do perform better when everyone’s ruled us out before the game.