Could we field a team of players who came through the Ulster academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

Could we field a team of players who came through the Ulster academy?

Post by paddybrown »

One thing I think we're doing better at than we used to is producing home-grown players, but could we field a team entirely of players produced by the academy, and if so, how strong would it be?

1. Eric O'Sullivan
2. Tom Stewart
3. Tom O'Toole
4. Iain Henderson
5. Alan O'Connor
6. David McCann
7. Marcus Rea
8. Nick Timoney
9. Nathan Doak
10. Mike Lowry
11. Jacob Stockdale
12. Stuart McCloskey
13. James Hume
14. Rob Baloucoune
15. Stewart Moore

16. John Andrew
17. Callum Reid
18. Andrew Warwick
19. Cormac Izuchukwu
20. Matty Rea
21. Dave Shanahan
22. Luke Marshall
23. Ethan McIlroy

Had to be a bit creative in the front row. Andrew Warwick would normally be my first choice at loosehead, but we don't have a second tighthead for the bench - Tom O'Toole is the only tighthead who came through the academy. But Warwick filled in at tighthead against Zebre when Toomaga-Allen went off, so he'll have to be on the bench covering the position, which means O'Sullivan covered by Reid at loosehead.

That's a team I'd be happy to play in most URC games. The only non-academy players you would expect to play ahead of any of them would be Rory Sutherland, Marty Moore, Duane Vermeulen, John Cooney and Billy Burns, and I'd want them available against the South Africans, in the interpros, and in the Heineken Cup. Out-half is the only position I'd be really concerned about - we haven't successfully produced a 10 since Paddy Jackson. Lowry has played there, but hasn't really established himself in the position the way he has at fullback. The only cover we have is Doak.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Re: Could we field a team of players who came through the Ulster academy?

Post by waggonsroll »

paddybrown wrote:One thing I think we're doing better at than we used to is producing home-grown players, but could we field a team entirely of players produced by the academy, and if so, how strong would it be?

1. Eric O'Sullivan
2. Tom Stewart
3. Tom O'Toole
4. Iain Henderson
5. Alan O'Connor
6. David McCann
7. Marcus Rea
8. Nick Timoney
9. Nathan Doak
10. Mike Lowry
11. Jacob Stockdale
12. Stuart McCloskey
13. James Hume
14. Rob Baloucoune
15. Stewart Moore

16. John Andrew
17. Callum Reid
18. Andrew Warwick
19. Cormac Izuchukwu
20. Matty Rea
21. Dave Shanahan
22. Luke Marshall
23. Ethan McIlroy

Had to be a bit creative in the front row. Andrew Warwick would normally be my first choice at loosehead, but we don't have a second tighthead for the bench - Tom O'Toole is the only tighthead who came through the academy. But Warwick filled in at tighthead against Zebre when Toomaga-Allen went off, so he'll have to be on the bench covering the position, which means O'Sullivan covered by Reid at loosehead.

That's a team I'd be happy to play in most URC games. The only non-academy players you would expect to play ahead of any of them would be Rory Sutherland, Marty Moore, Duane Vermeulen, John Cooney and Billy Burns, and I'd want them available against the South Africans, in the interpros, and in the Heineken Cup. Out-half is the only position I'd be really concerned about - we haven't successfully produced a 10 since Paddy Jackson. Lowry has played there, but hasn't really established himself in the position the way he has at fullback. The only cover we have is Doak.
What about an IQ non Ulster/Irish born team?

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Sorry, can you define “came through the Academy “
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Presumably, just in it at some point. I think McCloskey only did a year. Went from schools rugby to play for Dungannon.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

You’ll be telling me you want a crowd that came through Ulster schools next….
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Gushers wet dream there Justy.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:35 am You’ll be telling me you want a crowd that came through Ulster schools next….
:lol:

DNA tests all round
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:35 am You’ll be telling me you want a crowd that came through Ulster schools next….
Warwick, EOS never came through the Academy, EOS had been Leinster Academy and was dropped from the system, iirc , was at Trinity and. Brought in for an A game , impressed and got a “let’s see how ye do “ kinda contract , but hey let’s just stick names in to create a thread
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

Warwick was in the Academy in 13/14 (having previously been dropped from sub academy, then made it in on the back of impressive performances in AIL and for the ravens)

EOS had two seasons in the Ulster Academy from 2017, although got upgraded midway through the second. He never made it as far as the Leinster Academy and his pathway was similar to Warwick.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Gerald the Mole wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:48 am
Warwick, EOS never came through the Academy, EOS had been Leinster Academy and was dropped from the system, iirc , was at Trinity and. Brought in for an A game , impressed and got a “let’s see how ye do “ kinda contract , but hey let’s just stick names in to create a thread
Gerry Gerry Gerry..... Warwick and O'Sullivan have made statements claiming never to be in the Academy!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Gerry Gerry Gerry..... Warwick and O'Sullivan have made statements claiming never to be in the Academy!
There were witnesses. Past tense.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Gerald the Mole wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 pm Sorry, can you define “came through the Academy “
It's either Ballymena, Omagh, Banbridge or BRA
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

Dave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
There were witnesses. Past tense.

Below from BBC Website dated 17 December 2014. NB Warwick referencing being in the Ulster Academy.

''Andrew Warwick made his debut against Cardiff last March
Ulster Academy prop Andrew Warwick has signed his first professional contract with the Irish province.

Warwick's two-year deal means he will remain at Kingspan Stadium until at least the summer of 2017.

The Ballymena man made his Ulster debut against Cardiff last March and has had 15 further appearances for the side.

"When I joined the Academy my aims were to play for the first team and to sign a professional contract with Ulster," said the loose-head prop, 23.

"I am delighted now to have achieved both those things.

"The past nine months have been incredible. I am extremely proud to represent Ulster and I look forward to helping the team be successful in the coming seasons."

Ulster team manager Bryn Cunningham says Warwick has made the step up from Academy prospect to first team regular "with ease".

"He is now a highly important player for us in a key position," said the Ulster team manager.

"It is crucial for Ulster Rugby moving forward that we retain a core group of home grown talent who possess an ambition that fits in with our culture.

"Andrew is one of those players and we are delighted he has committed to two years."

Warwick previously played for the Ulster Schools and Ulster Under-20s.''

http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:42 pm
Gerald the Mole wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 pm Sorry, can you define “came through the Academy “
or maybe St Patrick's Academy in either Lisburn or Dungannon, Strabane Academy, Breda Academy , Strabane Academy or Bangor Academy ... and there may be more.
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tighthead Prod wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:42 pm
or maybe St Patrick's Academy in either Lisburn or Dungannon, Strabane Academy, Breda Academy , Strabane Academy or Bangor Academy ... and there may be more.
Starfleet Academy.