Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Post by Bart S »

Saw an article in the Bel Tele where Dan said he wants someone to claim the backrow starting spot alongside DV and Timoney and presumably there is also a bench spot up for grabs. Whilst Narcus did it last year I think it's fair to say that nobody has really shone this season so far. Unfortunately for these guys they are competing against each other and dint gave the credit in the bank that DV has - who I thought has been poor enough in recent games before redeeming himself against Sale.

Where I have an issue is in selecting Jones or Matty Rea ahead of them when neither will ever be good enough. Save those guys for Zebre and Dragons at home if needed purely to give the likes of DV a rest.

There is a worrying trend which I think pre-dates DMcF but is very evident and that is how young players (particularly forwards) seem to regress quickly in their ulster careers at the point they should be improving. If I look at last season ulster had McCann, Reid, Izzy and Marcus all getting some exposure which you would expect to be built on this year, but seems like we are seeing less of them. Appreciate that in some cases it may be form or maybe even discipline but with it being all 4 it is a worry.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Big-al wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:26 pm McFarseland doesn't want to be here. I wonder will a mutual decision come when his contract ends. I wonder when that is?
Well if he got interviewed by Leicester then that’s not a good look.

Not good at all.
Did anyone notice the non-denial denial when he was asked about the Leicester job by the tele (?) he waffled about how he loves his job, but notably didn’t say that he hadn’t applied
..one more thing
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Who was the lad that got a debut at 7, aged 18 a number of seasons ago? Something-Hall?

Played 1 match. Then sent to the Ulster gulag . . . Never to be seen again.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Neill_M wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:26 pm McFarseland doesn't want to be here. I wonder will a mutual decision come when his contract ends. I wonder when that is?
McFarland has contract until Summer 2025.
Thanks, Neill.

Feels like we are in a dictatorship. Maybe he will be successful with one of these interviews.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Big-al wrote:
Well if he got interviewed by Leicester then that’s not a good look.

Not good at all.
He didn't even get it.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Columbo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:26 pm
Bart S wrote::roll: :roll:
Columbo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:50 pm
StandUp wrote:Is Dan the type to hold a grudge, or are Izzy and Marcus a bad influence on each other?
From what I’ve heard yes he very much is the type to hold a grudge.. eg heard he had a run-in with JTA in an early scrum session which is why he pretty much didn’t darken a team sheet until his hand was forced (and instead we had to watch Milo / our scrum get crumpled on multiple occasions…)
I heard a different rumour as to why JTA didn't darken a team sheet for a number of weeks before he came back.

He was injured...... :roll:
He was on the bench for the first match of the season, and didn’t get a run-out until the Benetton match in Jan - and was out injured for a couple of weeks of that time AFAIK.. but by all accounts he went great guns in training ever since he joined
Well according to JTA himself he was out injured for "5 or 6 weeks' before Benetton , with the injury sustained playing for Ulster against Zebre at the end of November. # I believe him
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

My criticism of JTA has been how unavailable he was due to injuries. I think that was a good enough reason for not picking him. He has shown the last few games what he is capable of and I hope the upward trajectory continues.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He got injured in his first game, basically. Prior to that it's anyone's guess. It looked fitness was an issue, tbf.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:17 pm He got injured in his first game, basically. Prior to that it's anyone's guess. It looked fitness was an issue, tbf.
He did say in an interview that he had to add a lot of body weight to play the northern hemisphere type of game and had to learn to run with that extra weight.
I think his conditioning is on par now.
I had my doubts earlier in the season, but now he is impressing me more in each game. Sign him up!!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:17 pm He got injured in his first game, basically. Prior to that it's anyone's guess. It looked fitness was an issue, tbf.
He did say in an interview that he had to add a lot of body weight to play the northern hemisphere type of game and had to learn to run with that extra weight.
I think his conditioning is on par now.
I had my doubts earlier in the season, but now he is impressing me more in each game. Sign him up!!
He's hitting PBs in the gym. UR have him in good shape now.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

It shows on the pitch. He also looks like he’s enjoying his rugby.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

StandUp wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:53 pm It shows on the pitch. He also looks like he’s enjoying his rugby.
Couldn't agree more, he's worthy of a contract!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

#McFarselandOut
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Bart S wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:55 pm
Columbo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:26 pm
Bart S wrote::roll: :roll:
Columbo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:50 pm
StandUp wrote:Is Dan the type to hold a grudge, or are Izzy and Marcus a bad influence on each other?
From what I’ve heard yes he very much is the type to hold a grudge.. eg heard he had a run-in with JTA in an early scrum session which is why he pretty much didn’t darken a team sheet until his hand was forced (and instead we had to watch Milo / our scrum get crumpled on multiple occasions…)
I heard a different rumour as to why JTA didn't darken a team sheet for a number of weeks before he came back.

He was injured...... :roll:
He was on the bench for the first match of the season, and didn’t get a run-out until the Benetton match in Jan - and was out injured for a couple of weeks of that time AFAIK.. but by all accounts he went great guns in training ever since he joined
Well according to JTA himself he was out injured for "5 or 6 weeks' before Benetton , with the injury sustained playing for Ulster against Zebre at the end of November. # I believe him
He says he wasn’t injured and he never appeared on URs injury reports
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

So It Is wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:33 pm Who was the lad that got a debut at 7, aged 18 a number of seasons ago? Something-Hall?

Played 1 match. Then sent to the Ulster gulag . . . Never to be seen again.
Aaron Hall, got binned from the academy, hasnt played any rugby since, and has no interest anymore