pre-season friendlies

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: pre-season friendlies

Post by jean valjean »

Our decade old inability to secure a ruck is alive and well I see.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:Our decade old inability to secure a ruck is alive and well I see.
Classic McFarseland ball. Zero ball security.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:35 pm Our decade old inability to secure a ruck is alive and well I see.
We were fine for a while as long as we had Henry & Best on the pitch.

Unfortunately this looks like a very badly coached side. They are attacking using their forwards who are carrying with no support,yet are set-up that they somehow keep getting themselves isolated. Have the ever heard of attacking pods?

Watch Ireland tonight. 2 or 3 forward standing close by, scrum half chooses his man, the other forwards latch on and they bust him through the tackle m, whilst winning very quick ball at the same time.

We look like we don’t know what is meant to be happening.

Dan Soper is doing lots of very bad things with the attack. I think he needs to stop coming out with bullshit in the media about playing exciting brands of rugby and try to improve the players. He’s looking way out of his depth & the development of the backs has stalled.

Neil Doak and then Dwayne Peel had the Ulster attack in far better shape, & he (Doak) was maligned by some in here. At least you saw a vast improvement in the young backs. Our backline is going nowhere. Nathan Doak is looking slower by every passing week.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The worst performance was by Cameron Doak's shorts. Couldn't stay up at all.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:24 pm The worst performance was by Cameron Doak's shorts. Couldn't stay up at all.
Can only have been a pair that Rodney had left behind.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Another UR squad member that needs serious conditioning. I notice however, Rea, McCann and Sheridan look bulkier
Exterminate all rational thought
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Somebody still seems to think McIIroy can make it as a professional rugby player --- has the skills but lacks the substance unfortunately and hasn't the frame to develop.

As a run out the game had merit as a guide as to how the side will perform -- bar the hooker the front will not feature -- back row very green as a unit -- backline lacks the ability to get the ball out quickly to the wings ie past first or second centre .

given that regardless of how quick the ball is recycled the distance for the defence to advance is the same my conclusion is the backs lie to flat .

The speed of recycle unfortunately if slow allows the opposition to organise the defence and a quick recycle requires organised and disciplined 'podding "

Given that the front row and back row were disorganised the backs didn't have the best of outings
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Potentially the biggest positive from yesterday which hasn't been mentioned is that Ulster got a pretty decent crowd for a nothing pre-season match in Cavan. I wasn't sure what to expect, but think playing the friendly there has to go down as a success. Lots of kids after the match getting their photos taken with the likes of Stockdale and Baloucoune, both of whom took the time to do so.

Trying to expand the appeal of the game outside of the heartland can only be a good thing and it wouldn't surprise me if we start to see more friendlies/A games moved like this.

On the pitch, I thought there was a reassuring cohesiveness in the first half when we had a team out close to what will start next week. I say reassuring as it was absent last week and fell away a bit again as the changes were made. Also thought Marcus Rea looked hungry in the first 40, Ewers will give us some of the dog we need and it's brilliant to see Addison fit again.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Does anyone know what the terms of Greg McGraths contract is, as an aside? Not sure if he is here on a trial, short term injury cover for Marty, or we're hoping to sign him for the season.

I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable having a couple of hopefully hungry prospects trying to compete for positions at THP rather than being all in on Griffin as our third choice.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:25 am Somebody still seems to think McIIroy can make it as a professional rugby player --- has the skills but lacks the substance unfortunately and hasn't the frame to develop.

As a run out the game had merit as a guide as to how the side will perform -- bar the hooker the front will not feature -- back row very green as a unit -- backline lacks the ability to get the ball out quickly to the wings ie past first or second centre .

given that regardless of how quick the ball is recycled the distance for the defence to advance is the same my conclusion is the backs lie to flat .

The speed of recycle unfortunately if slow allows the opposition to organise the defence and a quick recycle requires organised and disciplined 'podding "

Given that the front row and back row were disorganised the backs didn't have the best of outings
Sadly McIlroy has the skills but not the gas to be a top end winger. As a winger that's a killer blow.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:04 am Does anyone know what the terms of Greg McGraths contract is, as an aside? Not sure if he is here on a trial, short term injury cover for Marty, or we're hoping to sign him for the season.

I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable having a couple of hopefully hungry prospects trying to compete for positions at THP rather than being all in on Griffin as our third choice.
As a Jersey Red hell had decent exposure to scrummaging orientated game time. Worth a punt.
As an aside I see Rory Sutherland is still unattached...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

With McGrath on, one scrum in first half went backwards quite quickly. Another one went forwards quite quickly. Maybe some scrum experts can explain. I thought Griffin looked quite unfit. I will need to see more. Ross Kane seems no worse than any 3rd/4th choice we've had since. No Marty for another while and Jeff has left. The tighthead stocks are very concerning.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:04 am Does anyone know what the terms of Greg McGraths contract is, as an aside? Not sure if he is here on a trial, short term injury cover for Marty, or we're hoping to sign him for the season.

Doesn’t say much about Griffen than McGrath has come in at short notice and looked better than him.

Think Warwick would do a better job than both of them and Ulster should concentrate on giving gametime to Scott Wilson and Callum Reid.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:50 am Potentially the biggest positive from yesterday which hasn't been mentioned is that Ulster got a pretty decent crowd for a nothing pre-season match in Cavan. I wasn't sure what to expect, but think playing the friendly there has to go down as a success. Lots of kids after the match getting their photos taken with the likes of Stockdale and Baloucoune, both of whom took the time to do so.

Trying to expand the appeal of the game outside of the heartland can only be a good thing and it wouldn't surprise me if we start to see more friendlies/A games moved like this.

On the pitch, I thought there was a reassuring cohesiveness in the first half when we had a team out close to what will start next week. I say reassuring as it was absent last week and fell away a bit again as the changes were made. Also thought Marcus Rea looked hungry in the first 40, Ewers will give us some of the dog we need and it's brilliant to see Addison fit again.
BT putting the crowd at around 7,000. Not bad at all.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Big-al wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:42 pm

Doesn’t say much about Griffen than McGrath has come in at short notice and looked better than him.

Think Warwick would do a better job than both of them and Ulster should concentrate on giving gametime to Scott Wilson and Callum Reid.
In defence of Griffen, McGrath has been pro for a few years, while he's just had a pre-season. Plenty of scope for his conditioning to improve. Seemed better in the scrum this week too, though against weaker opposition. Stuff like getting beaten on the inside when you're a pillar needs not to be happening though.

Agree Warwick would be ahead of both as a tight head, but he's also our first choice loosehead until Kitschoff gets here. It might be the way we need to go though and possibly why he started there against Treviso.