Ulster v Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Munster

Post by big mervyn »

Just back.

Can anyone enlighten ne as to why we weren't awarded a pen try after the McElroy tackle.

I thought the pen and yellow were harsh (what was the Munster 15 supposed to go/do when McElroy dived into him) but given the refs decision surely a pen try was a cert?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Can't see Munster winning anything with that front row. Kilcoyne would add little. Not that we will be scrummaging teams off the park. But who knows? If we give youth its chance anything can happen.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Some inaccurate use of Christian names on this thread.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Munster are fake champions.

Ten wins in 18 matches last year.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:47 pm Some inaccurate use of Christian names on this thread.
Especially if they're not Christians
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:47 pm Some inaccurate use of Christian names on this thread.
Very true Jason.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Have to say, I enjoyed that match. Worrying first half but came good when the bench came on. The big bonus is coming from behind then holding on to the lead. It was the tension I enjoyed - that's what sport ought to be. We held our own in the scrum and stole a few in the lineout. Still a lot of daft stuff all the same: dropped passes, knock-ons need sorted out.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:42 pm Just back.

Can anyone enlighten ne as to why we weren't awarded a pen try after the McElroy tackle.

I thought the pen and yellow were harsh (what was the Munster 15 supposed to go/do when McElroy dived into him) but given the refs decision surely a pen try was a cert?
They deemed Crowley was in a position where he may have prevented a try being scored.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:37 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:15 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:59 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:50 pm Our first team forwards plus Wilson won it in the end. Hendo, Herring, Ewers all made a big differences when they came on.
They did. This was a great win.

However, and not wanting to sound negative, we made the end far harder than it should have been. We shouldn't have needed a balls to the wall defensive effort to see that game out, the last few minutes should have been spent in the middle of the field as Munster just crash into a well set Ulster line.

We won't get away with this against better teams. So great win, but a load of improvement needed also.
Correct TC. We have some very good individual players, but there is a collective failure constantly at the key moments, constant underperformance, and many players not in form, leaving injuries aside. We lack ruthlessness. We were much stronger individually on paper, but regardless of their selection, every Munster team has a collective never beaten ethos lacking in UR. It has been for a long time, and that blame lies with the management team.

Set pieces a shambles also. Stewart is a great prospect but needs to sort his throwing otherwise he will fall short of international standard.
Take a bow Scott but perspective- that was a weak Munster front row, but he'll take the experience. And get in the gym!
Munster front row only missing Kilcoyne though. That starting front row is probably their first choice and Archer 2nd choice tighthead, Buckley is reserve hooker.
Barron's a good hooker and prospect. Liked him last season and thought he was unlucky not to be more involved with Ireland given Munsters run. Agree ref Killer. Archer- our saviour.Cheap Ireland caps. Loughman and Ryan are no slouches TBF, but they've less depth than us! No wonder they're chasing Jager. We'll face much better, hence why I'm not capping Wilson yet- this isn't the 42 or Munster fans! :flower:
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

As an aside, Edogbo is a unit for a young cub
Exterminate all rational thought
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

There is talk of an Irish province signing Oli Jager from the Crusaders, would be surprised if it isn't Munster.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:13 am As an aside, Edogbo is a unit for a young cub
A massive unit but judging by tonight his fitness level is about the same as mine.

Ran out of puff half way through the first half.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

North End with a late winner at Rovers tonight too.

More booze I think…
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

So It Is wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:32 pm Great win. We actually held on to win while under pressure . . . . let that sink in folks!

Frank Murphy, jaysus. I'm not normally one for ref slander but jaysus.
Murphy had an okay game. Disagreed with a few decisions at the match, but watching them back again on TV he was mostly right and I was wrong.

I still maintain the right to scream and shout at him at the match, but tbf, he has the right to ignore me . . . especially as he was right more than I.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hopefully that will turn into a season defining result for us. The stadium was flat for the first 30 mins and a loss to a relatively young munster team could have been seriously damaging. Massive kudos to young Wilson for his display, that experience needs to drive him to be the absolute beast he can be. Yes the bench won it for us but mccann was immense again and rightly deserved motm. Worrying how much Rea has fallen off the ladder, has he been been trying to bulk up? Seems to have lost that energy over the ball he previously had. Like to see cooney and flannery get a run out next week.