Leinster v Ulster Mon Jan 1 5:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Leinster v Ulster Mon Jan 1 5:15pm KO

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:41 pm
Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm If youngsters aren't t yet ready and there are alternatives then fair enough. My worry is that ulster is wholly reliant on 3 locks, one of whom is limited by the IRFU and regularly injured and another is a journeyman (AOC) who probably wouldn't even be in the top dozen IQ options at lock across the provinces. No lack of effort but low ceiling already reached.

Not seen enough in Izzy yet to see if he's good enough but ulster really need to be looking at developing alternatives. Anger term projects for one of the current backrowers maybe?
Bart, We have 2 x 6"6' Ireland U20 locks in the Academy... Why not get them gym time and bulk them up?... we saw Irvine once and he didn't disgrace himself.. Munster starting to see the fruit of blooding forward yoot, and as for Leinster, this wouldn't even be an argument.

Most of us here would sacrifice a season to blood these guys- we couldn't be any worse off? There is a tranche of decent young Ulster forwards coming through it seems- all at an age where they will still fill out and improve considerably if managed properly....
Joe Hopes ( who looks to be playing 6) and who else?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:If youngsters aren't t yet ready and there are alternatives then fair enough. My worry is that ulster is wholly reliant on 3 locks, one of whom is limited by the IRFU and regularly injured and another is a journeyman (AOC) who probably wouldn't even be in the top dozen IQ options at lock across the provinces. No lack of effort but low ceiling already reached.

Not seen enough in Izzy yet to see if he's good enough but ulster really need to be looking at developing alternatives. Anger term projects for one of the current backrowers maybe?
Tell me more about this anger project? Finally some dog in these players? Woof.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:38 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:41 pm
Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm If youngsters aren't t yet ready and there are alternatives then fair enough. My worry is that ulster is wholly reliant on 3 locks, one of whom is limited by the IRFU and regularly injured and another is a journeyman (AOC) who probably wouldn't even be in the top dozen IQ options at lock across the provinces. No lack of effort but low ceiling already reached.

Bart, We have 2 x 6"6' Ireland U20 locks in the Academy... Why not get them gym time and bulk them up?... we saw Irvine once and he didn't disgrace himself.. Munster starting to see the fruit of blooding forward yoot, and as for Leinster, this wouldn't even be an argument.

Most of us here would sacrifice a season to blood these guys- we couldn't be any worse off? There is a tranche of decent young Ulster forwards coming through it seems- all at an age where they will still fill out and improve considerably if managed properly....
Joe Hopes ( who looks to be playing 6) and who else?
Charlie Irvine- over 2m tall...
And Hendo started as a 6 as you recall.
Irvine and Hopes are 20 and 19 respectively- material there, unless we f#ck it up again like we did with Dalton
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

You mention Dalton and McBurney yet both have shown, at Newcastle and Edinburgh respectively, that they’re simply not good enough.

How’s that feck ing anything up?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:05 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:37 am Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

The preference is for conspiracy theories or incompetent selection policies.
You're correct Justin. We should trust DF and his team that have delivered so much - inserted a backbone of steel into the team , turned Ravenhill into a fortress to be feared, and wrung every bit of potential from what little talent we have. Our Alex Ferguson or David Moyes at PNE for football equivalents... :scratch:
He’s no Moyes granted but iirc Ulster weren’t half tom kite before he was here.

It’s not his fault if the province simply can’t provide the cattle.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Possibly a misprint, but 'Anger' term projects actually works for me!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:45 pm
justinr73 wrote:Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

It's hardly because he has exams FFS Image
Used to have January exams at QUB and elsewhere, so maybe still do in some places. Not that exams worried me very much; as a mate used to say, 'Every mark over 40 is an hour's wasted work.'
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

That depends on the type of exams and what they are required for .

If all you are aiming for is a BA and want to be a teacher in a third rate secondary school anything above 40% is a waste of drinking time .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

That depends on the type of exams and what they are required for .

If all you are aiming for is a BA and want to be a teacher in a third rate secondary school anything above 40% is a waste of drinking time .
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Izzy might be a prospect if was he arsed and APPEARED to care about putting in the effort but like the above student seems only to aim at 40% its the other 60% matters in the pro game .

Appearances matter
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

solidarity wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

Used to have January exams at QUB and elsewhere, so maybe still do in some places. Not that exams worried me very much; as a mate used to say, 'Every mark over 40 is an hour's wasted work.'
I know you are not saying it is the case, but to continue the discussion. Professional rugby players have a lot of free time. They spent a lot of time drinking coffee etc. Shirley there is enough time to study and play a game on a Friday or a bank holiday, during which I'm sure there is no exam scheduled. If professional athletes are being given time off to study then we may give up Image
Last edited by Dave on Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:47 pm That depends on the type of exams and what they are required for .

Correct. My years 1 through 3 were split; had 2 sets of exams- 1 set in Jan, meaning revision over Xmas, for modules taken up to Xmas, then May/ June for those on resumption after Jan exams. Resits in Sept for failed modules before you were allowed to return.

Final year different with dissertation & finals, plus oral exam to potentially go up a grade.. etc..
That was for sciences though, not arts or so called social sciences as I understand.
And over 30 hours per week, to 5pm Friday, in the Kier, Ashby and medical centre. Lush....
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:18 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:05 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:37 am Please don’t suggest rational explanations for Sheridan’s absence.

You're correct Justin. We should trust DF and his team that have delivered so much - inserted a backbone of steel into the team , turned Ravenhill into a fortress to be feared, and wrung every bit of potential from what little talent we have. Our Alex Ferguson or David Moyes at PNE for football equivalents... :scratch:
He’s no Moyes granted but iirc Ulster weren’t half tom kite before he was here.

It’s not his fault if the province simply can’t provide the cattle.
They were kite from the end of the Cowboy era ( who took us on our longest unbeaten run) through Kiss and Gibbes debacle, in tandem with PJ/SO scandal. The only way was up.
McGlocks stabilising the ship, after Williams, meant getting us to a HEC final, Cowboy a close Pro 12 final and barring a red card, another HEC final- both finals lost against an iconic Leinster team, and regular beatings of Europe's best. As I've said before, DF has presided over some of our heaviest ever defeats and capitulations- UR have had plenty of material but failed to develop it- he's one of many post Solomons to singularly fail to bring it through. DF has falling into his lap what seems like some of the best young forwards coming through since the Bests, Wilson, Ferris, McMillan etc era and seems intent on messing them about. The reverence for him astounds me- he's a spoofer.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:16 pm You mention Dalton and McBurney yet both have shown, at Newcastle and Edinburgh respectively, that they’re simply not good enough.

How’s that feck ing anything up?
McBurney was one of the outstanding players in the U20 team that got to the RWC final in 2016, scoring tries for fun, including the final. A team that included Stockdale, Daly, Keenan, Porter, Ryan and Deegan. Even when Best and Herring were playing, he had best darts in the club and had an edge to him. The fact that UR backed Andrews says a lot.
Dalton played a few games for us when we were on the bones if our a#se for locks, similar to AOC, and played pretty well. Then never selected again. Similar litany down through the years- raw material not developed or stalled.

The one true talent whom I believe genuinely shot HIMSELF in the foot was Caldwell. All the talent but no brain. Even Moyes would've failed to have got the best from him.

UR, not just Df, has consistently failed to maximise the raw talent at its disposal. Hence why McKee went to Leinster, Little retired, Taylor went to UBC and eventually jacked in Rugby, as did Macklin ( who played TH in Europe and scored) Farrell to France, Steenson never even got a chance etc etc etc. Whitten had to go to Exeter, Seymour to Glasgow, then Scotland and the Lions. Love to see how some of those named would've progressed at Leinster or elsewhere with a more professional development pathway from 18-22, rather than UR. If DF spunks this batch through his own hubris, shame on him.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:16 pm
solidarity wrote:

I know you are not saying it is the case, but to continue the discussion. Professional rugby players have a lot of free time. They spent a lot of time drinking coffee etc. Shirley there is enough time to study and play a game on a Friday or a bank holiday, during which I'm sure there is no exam scheduled. If professional athletes are being given time off to study then we may give up Image
Yep, Dave, I don't see why professional rugby players shoudn't study to get a good degree. It's an interesting discussion all the same. Many have done it in the past and many will do it in the future. The only wee fly in the ointment is when there's an exam at the same time as a match (as you say, not that this is the case here). I have a feeling that many university departments would make other arrangements for a guy in that position, especially if he is doing his study part-time. There's huge flexibility available, as there should be.

And while I'm here...

Happy New Year to everyone. :party: >happyparty >dance