6 Nations 2024

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: 6 Nations 2024

Post by Dharper »

I wouldn’t play Keenan v wales, absolutely no chances taken with him. Wales don’t have the kicking game to really hurt Ire (ie territory wise pinning them back etc), or the pack to put the squeeze on frankly. I genuinely can’t see a realistic way wales would set up to beat Ire. He’s a super fit lad, and wouldn’t need gametime into the England game.

Eng will certainly employ a kicking and spoiling game. Keenan’s back field coverage will be needed, and a potential grand slam game again you’d want him at 15.

I don’t want Crowley back there. Frawley seems like a nice footballer decent boot, and can handle himself physically, so I’d go with him. JOBs and to a lesser degree Hansens has been unfortunate timing. That said I’m sure the narrative in camp is its an opportunity for someone to put a marker down.

As an aside interesting to see TOT not released. Furlong clearly has a fitness issue around him. Again personally I’d start bealham v wales with TOT on bench. Furlong will be needed v eng, and a lesser degree Scotland. Crisp low error handling will limit scrum numbers….but it is a concern.
I wouldn’t totally rule out Jäger featuring with these question marks hanging in the air.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Frawley will play against Wales and HK is by no means certain to feature again in the tournament.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’d go potentially something like this:

Porter Sheehan bealham
McCarthy Ryan
Baird Doris VdF
Jgp Crowley
Mccloskey henshaw
Lowe Frawley Nash

Loughman Kelleher TOT
Henderson
Conan
Murray
Byrne
Ringrose

Overall wales lack a decent pack, decent backrow but underpowered front 5, hence a 5/3 split.
Loughman needs further investment from bench. Bealham starts, furlong saved for England when he will be needed. Beirne further rested, further gametime for mccarthy. Further rehab POM if needed as Baird was good. VdF needed to counter Reffell.
Crowley backed. Centres unchanged as went well, again save the other 2 for eng as rehabbing, Frawley at 15. Murray to get a few mins prior to eng.

Hopefully that gives players plenty of time to rest / rehab re England.

Porter Sheehan furlong
Beirne McCarthy
POM Doris VdF
Jgp crowley
Aki Ringrose
Lowe Frawley Nash

Healy Kelleher bealham
Ryan
Conan
Murray
Byrne
Henshaw

Farrell has a myriad of options in 2nd row, backrow, centre, in particular, he can rotate if needed, not lose quality, and those options are generally v experienced as well which helps.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dharper wrote:I wouldn’t play Keenan v wales, absolutely no chances taken with him. Wales don’t have the kicking game to really hurt Ire (ie territory wise pinning them back etc), or the pack to put the squeeze on frankly. I genuinely can’t see a realistic way wales would set up to beat Ire. He’s a super fit lad, and wouldn’t need gametime into the England game.

Eng will certainly employ a kicking and spoiling game. Keenan’s back field coverage will be needed, and a potential grand slam game again you’d want him at 15.

I don’t want Crowley back there. Frawley seems like a nice footballer decent boot, and can handle himself physically, so I’d go with him. JOBs and to a lesser degree Hansens has been unfortunate timing. That said I’m sure the narrative in camp is its an opportunity for someone to put a marker down.

As an aside interesting to see TOT not released. Furlong clearly has a fitness issue around him. Again personally I’d start bealham v wales with TOT on bench. Furlong will be needed v eng, and a lesser degree Scotland. Crisp low error handling will limit scrum numbers….but it is a concern.
I wouldn’t totally rule out Jäger featuring with these question marks hanging in the air.
Agree with all of that tbh. I think Frawley will start 15 against wales. And I’m not sure about Furlong’s fitness, but in all truth Bealham is close to being first choice on form IMO. I think he’s currently scrummaging better than Furlong and he’s putting great shifts in round the park.
..one more thing
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

If TB is fit then he should play against Wales because:

A) He’s really good and
B) Come Twickenham, he otherwise won’t have featured for 5w
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Yeah I did think re Beirne playing. Ultimately I wouldn’t be concerned either way.
3 weeks is a decent break for him if selected and his breakdown work would be very useful. Ultimately there are good replacements in Henderson/Ryan both I’d take over the welsh locks, if they benched or rested him.

the good news is AF doesn’t have to force things or take risks with players. I just can’t see wales disrupting the set piece enough to nullify irelands attack, and with so many new combos, their attack doesn’t concern me re our defence. Yes they were close re sco and eng, but ultimately lacked the experience to get the job done….and frankly ire are in a totally different league to both those sides…wales multi phase defence is going to be tested big time, because ire’s general low error count isn’t going to let them off the hook.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:19 am If TB is fit then he should play against Wales because:

A) He’s really good and
B) Come Twickenham, he otherwise won’t have featured for 5w
I'm not sure I'm available that weekend lol
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well that’s the wife off to the game.

Back to bed or watch the cricket?

Both I think….
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sheehan's darts are causing a problem. A very weak Whales side.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

That Welsh team are riddled with acne and cold sores
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s not surprising they don’t score very often.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Sloppy third quarter plus but we were well off top gear.
Technically no team has crossed our line at Lansdowne in the 2 matches. The ref couldn't wait to give a penalty try even though the apparent Welsh try scorer was on his knees well before the try line and stood back up.

Enjoyed big Stu's hit near the end. Bigger tests to come.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Scotland should have run that last play. They couldn't lose and a TBP would have meant 5 pts against both Italy and Ireland could have guaranteed them the Championship. As it is Ireland can secure the title at Twickenham
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:47 pm Scotland should have run that last play. They couldn't lose and a TBP would have meant 5 pts against both Italy and Ireland could have guaranteed them the Championship. As it is Ireland can secure the title at Twickenham
They’re not arsed. Won their Cup Final (again).
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Just looking at the pics in the BT of people watching the game in Belfast.

I don’t own any Irish kit cos I’m a Lionel but is it normal for there to be no sign of any Ulster stuff?

Mrs justinr 73 went to the game with a mixture of the two.