Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Bart S »

damianmcr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:20 pm Is he gone yet?
Who? So many to choose from....
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Judging contract extensions is always tricky and easy to look at with hindsight. Lots of people slate ulster for getting rid of mcglock after a European final but the decision was taken much earlier in the season, when ulster's league form was dire and from memory had lost at home to Treviso. It was after that Afoa came over early, I Humps had one of his good days and out of nowhere ulster beat a strong Clermont team that things turned around, with rumours of significant player involvement.

Similarly EOS was given an Ireland extension after almost landing the 2007 championship for the 1st time since 1985 I think. Shortly after was the disastrous world cup and early termination.

Agree that there were alarm bells last season with The Sale game and others plus question marks over whether Dan could take ulster any further. It is a difficult balance sometimes in reality.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:22 pm
damianmcr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:20 pm Is he gone yet?
Who? So many to choose from....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bangorboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:52 pm Whoever comes in I just hope they have a pair and are prepared to do what is necessary to move the club forward.

Too many fringe players, hangers on who play a blinder for a few matches when contract is due then slip back into mediocrity afterwards.
Says it all when Gilroy stated the othernight that Wee Dave has been with the province over a decade. I mean, I like Wee Dave, I really do, but ten years or more being no better than 3rd choice throughout that? I know we need squad players, but that's stealing a contract, shirley?

... and yes I know he made a great follow-up chase and bundled an Osprey into touch the other day, but that should be run-of-the-mill, not something worthy of comment because we don't normally expect to see a physical side from him. Even beagle although wee had a physical side to his game and never ducked out of making a challenge even against guys twice his size.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
bangorboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:52 pm Whoever comes in I just hope they have a pair and are prepared to do what is necessary to move the club forward.

Too many fringe players, hangers on who play a blinder for a few matches when contract is due then slip back into mediocrity afterwards.
Says it all when Gilroy stated the othernight that Wee Dave has been with the province over a decade. I mean, I like Wee Dave, I really do, but ten years or more being no better than 3rd choice throughout that? I know we need squad players, but that's stealing a contract, shirley?

... and yes I know he made a great follow-up chase and bundled an Osprey into touch the other day, but that should be run-of-the-mill, not something worthy of comment because we don't normally expect to see a physical side from him. Even beagle although wee had a physical side to his game and never ducked out of making a challenge even against guys twice his size.
3rd choice in a position should not be held by a journey man. It should be reserved for academy players

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Just confirmed from Ulster Rugby. Cunningham getting more responsibility. :shock:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

That’s what stood out to me. Cunningham has been every bit as poor as McFarland, perhaps even more so.

The amount of rubbish players he has signed that haven’t been good enough for professional rugby is taking the pi$h.

He talks a good game, but if he was working in the private sector he’d be found out fairly quickly.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

HammerTime wrote:Just confirmed from Ulster Rugby. Cunningham getting more responsibility. :shock:
That bit was weird. I don't get it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Big-al wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:55 pm That’s what stood out to me. Cunningham has been every bit as poor as McFarland, perhaps even more so.

The amount of rubbish players he has signed that haven’t been good enough for professional rugby is taking the pi$h.

He talks a good game, but if he was working in the private sector he’d be found out fairly quickly.
Nice guy and passionate about UR obviously but he's there for a job for life. The likes of Humphreys had ambition.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

TheBoat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:38 pm
3rd choice in a position should not be held by a journey man. It should be reserved for academy players

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I wish we didn't have so many journeymen in 1st and 2nd choice slots never mind 3rd choice.

At the end of the day money talks, and the business brains have seen what crowd figures next year would be like if this horlicks continued. Will need a big upturn in performance to keep season ticket numbers up.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Given that we’re fishing a from a pool that basically consists of players that have been binned off or overlooked by Leinster or Munster or have an Irish granny, I’d contend that the recruitment since Dan joined has, in fact, been reasonably good.

Not sure what (IQ) rabbits people expect BC to pull out of his hat….
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

It's funny listening to all the rugby analysts/ex players/commentators all sharing their wisdom on the situation. Where was all this criticism when Dan was actually in the job?? Not one of them had the balls to speak up.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 pm Given that we’re fishing a from a pool that basically consists of players that have been binned off or overlooked by Leinster or Munster or have an Irish granny, I’d contend that the recruitment since Dan joined has, in fact, been reasonably good.

Not sure what (IQ) rabbits people expect BC to pull out of his hat….
Well the academy has produced some backs and now forward talent in fairness recently - just they don't by and large kick on. Is that BCs fault?

Ref Iq- on paper Jordi, Moore Mads looked good signings- in true Ulster fashion, 2 became crippled/ unfit and Madigan under deployed- could Bryn be held to account for internationals that didn't deliver/ became injury prone? Madigan was p#shed up the wall imo. I thought Jordi was initially good business. Still young and a very recent international BR.

Even with NIQs we seem to be an elephants graveyard since RP/ Ludik. Ludik was a great example of ROI for an NIQ squad player. RP a Golden God. Both invested in UR.
Exterminate all rational thought
gpjmoss
Novice

Post by gpjmoss »

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm It's funny listening to all the rugby analysts/ex players/commentators all sharing their wisdom on the situation. Where was all this criticism when Dan was actually in the job?? Not one of them had the balls to speak up.
It's always the way HT. Scavengers circling brad pitt.
Exterminate all rational thought