Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by justinr73 »

Seems that JP is going to do an in-person Q and A for season ticket holders - details to be sent out later this week….
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

That’s actually a positive and shows leadership and hopefully clarity during a time of upheaval.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm It's funny listening to all the rugby analysts/ex players/commentators all sharing their wisdom on the situation. Where was all this criticism when Dan was actually in the job?? Not one of them had the balls to speak up.
Ferris did to his credit.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Big-al wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm
HammerTime wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm It's funny listening to all the rugby analysts/ex players/commentators all sharing their wisdom on the situation. Where was all this criticism when Dan was actually in the job?? Not one of them had the balls to speak up.
Bradley from the Bel Tele has been quite critical for a while. Less easy for him than Ferris as he need to keep good relations with UR to some extent.

Ferris mixes some good stuff with guff. Used to talk up Matty Rea.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Only after he read UAFC...

Gilroy got stuck in I see.... That was coming as he retired more or less because of DF as I understand.
Exterminate all rational thought
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Richie Murphy is an interesting one, he has certainly kept the standards up with the U20s. I’m not a fan at all of these bodged together interim tickets, because it’s basically a roll of the dice, but needs must, and it speaks to a lack of confidence in anyone else in situ being able to step up (which is a good thing IMO). But all the other coaches must be reckoning that they’ll be out the door when a new coach comes in, which makes for a pretty unstable environment. From Murphy’s pov it’s a roll of the dice worth taking - good end to the season probably gets him the job, otherwise it’s no skin of his nose he can presumably go back to U20 duty.

I wonder if his U20 colleague Willie Faloon will do a bit of work for him..
..one more thing
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:58 pm Richie Murphy is an interesting one, he has certainly kept the standards up with the U20s. I’m not a fan at all of these bodged together interim tickets, because it’s basically a roll of the dice, but needs must, and it speaks to a lack of confidence in anyone else in situ being able to step up (which is a good thing IMO). But all the other coaches must be reckoning that they’ll be out the door when a new coach comes in, which makes for a pretty unstable environment. From Murphy’s pov it’s a roll of the dice worth taking - good end to the season probably gets him the job, otherwise it’s no skin of his nose he can presumably go back to U20 duty.

I wonder if his U20 colleague Willie Faloon will do a bit of work for him..
He's also worked with many of the Ulster cubs in the U20s
Exterminate all rational thought
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:32 pm Judging contract extensions is always tricky and easy to look at with hindsight. Lots of people slate ulster for getting rid of mcglock after a European final but the decision was taken much earlier in the season, when ulster's league form was dire and from memory had lost at home to Treviso. It was after that Afoa came over early, I Humps had one of his good days and out of nowhere ulster beat a strong Clermont team that things turned around, with rumours of significant player involvement.

Similarly EOS was given an Ireland extension after almost landing the 2007 championship for the 1st time since 1985 I think. Shortly after was the disastrous world cup and early termination.

Agree that there were alarm bells last season with The Sale game and others plus question marks over whether Dan could take ulster any further. It is a difficult balance sometimes in reality.
Is recruitment and contracts not Cunn8nghams job…. He has escaped again
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:49 pm

Gilroy got stuck in I see.... That was coming as he retired more or less because of DF as I understand.
Probably less because of DF and more because only Bangor wanted to sign him.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:13 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:49 pm

Probably less because of DF and more because only Bangor wanted to sign him.
Aye Gilroy was done at that stage so kudos to Dan if he did in fact usher him out the door.

Great player that he was for us and all, he would have been an empty jersey for us this season.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Gilroy must have had a heads up that Dan was on thin ice. As we hadn't heard anything from him before last weekend.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Any clips of what Gilroy said?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

One could be forgiven for thinking that Gilroy was also possibly involved in the rumours of discontent in the dressing room.

I’d be interested to learn how much the little weasel trousered for the ten tries he scored in his last five seasons at Ulster.

If he hated Dan that much, or had any ambition, he could have fecked off instead of signing repeated contract extensions.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Anddddddd Petrie protects himself
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Has to now SRU job is a busted flush.