Stormers v Ulster Saturday March 30th 5:15pm Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday March 30th 5:15pm Viaplay Sports

Post by Deraless »

Dave wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:34 pmAgreed but unfortunately he won't get 10% of the allowances made for BB.
That's because Doak doesn't have the greatest rugby brain in history.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

A bit of justice for all those on here that criticised Billy Burns so enthusiastically. I don’t think that Billy Burns is perfect but he
can get the line moving and whilst he could never be described as a crash ball tackler but he is willing to put his body on the line more than some of his predecessors at 10.
They have got their wish with Billy Burns off to Munster I hope that Doak surprises me with a display ofl flair tomorrow.
I can see the advantage of having a scrum half who can fill in at out half from the bench or some emergency and Doak meets that need but not as a first choice.
Any way how lucky we are to get a winger as an NIQ signing ( not that I think NIQ signings are any Panacea for our troubles) with the at least two of the brain trust who decided this no longer here to live with the decision.
One can’t help wondering where our Professional Game Board have been over the last 6 months .
Do they not watch the games or keep in touch with their fan base whose financial support is even more critical than before ?
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

When did Burns ever get a backline moving?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Aird wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 pm A bit of justice for all those on here that criticised Billy Burns so enthusiastically. I don’t think that Billy Burns is perfect but he
can get the line moving and whilst he could never be described as a crash ball tackler but he is willing to put his body on the line more than some of his predecessors at 10.
They have got their wish with Billy Burns off to Munster I hope that Doak surprises me with a display ofl flair tomorrow.
I can see the advantage of having a scrum half who can fill in at out half from the bench or some emergency and Doak meets that need but not as a first choice.
Any way how lucky we are to get a winger as an NIQ signing ( not that I think NIQ signings are any Panacea for our troubles) with the at least two of the brain trust who decided this no longer here to live with the decision.
One can’t help wondering where our Professional Game Board have been over the last 6 months .
Do they not watch the games or keep in touch with their fan base whose financial support is even more critical than before ?
To be honest Aird, to me it seems your defence of Billy is built around "better the mediocre devil we know..."

No one doubts his bravery, but we hang on these occasional games where he has an out half's epiphany.
We need a 10 that can consistently kick accurately more than the length of himself and can play what's in front of him as the game unfolds. He offers little to nothing in terms of smarts and keeping opposition defences guessing.
I know little of the nuances of back play, but imo we rarely have our backs played into space or chasing kicks dinked in behind encroaching "offensive" in your face defences. Nor kicks to backfield or Garryowens; most of the bread and butter for the EPCR class 10 we need? He constantly ships laterally and our attacks founder again and again. The collapse of our maul this season has exposed our lack of strike power in the backs_ its no longer glossed over. BB is one of those significant contributory factors as our departing first choice 10.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

What do we feel is an acceptable outcome from today's game. I really can't see an LBP here.

Me: Wilson more game time to challenge himself, but I worry about no Hendo locking behind him. I wonder if this is part of Fogartys remit? It would make sense if the FIRFU see Wilson as a potential future international; It would also make sense in the context of TOT going to LH, and both starting.
That the cubs play well- Fogarty mentors Stewart..
Our senior players, what's left of them, stand up at last
RB and the rest of our underperforming back line finds some form and confidence
Mad Lad starts to show a return for the considerable funds invested in him and shows some leadership against his former team.
That it goes well for Doak at 10, enough for us to roll the dice and let him have at it. Same maybe for Lowry eventually because atm he's a luxury back 3 player in a team that can't afford them. He's also unconvincing as either a wing or15.
That we leave everything on the pitch and make sure they've been in a game for 80 mins. And we aren't humiliated.

The gulf between us and the rest of the top 8 is big imo. If we finish top 8, I'd take that. EPCR qualification and at least 1 playoff would be what I'd take in a heartbeat
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Seems one of our travelling fans managed to be knocked sparko on the beach after a two-man paraglider landed on him.

He’d just spent 24 hours on a bus from Durban to Cape Town which is crazy. Anyone familiar with our travelling fans will probably guess who it is!

He’s going to miss the game but hopes to make it to Montpellier next week :salut:
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:25 am Seems one of our travelling fans managed to be knocked sparko on the beach after a two-man paraglider landed on him.

He’d just spent 24 hours on a bus from Durban to Cape Town which is crazy. Anyone familiar with our travelling fans will probably guess who it is!

He’s going to miss the game but hopes to make it to Montpellier next week :salut:
Yes, he is doing the tour on his own, using budget options v an organised package. Thus the 24 hour bus v an internal flight.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:15 am What do we feel is an acceptable outcome from today's game. I really can't see an LBP here.

Me: Wilson more game time to challenge himself, but I worry about no Hendo locking behind him. I wonder if this is part of Fogartys remit? It would make sense if the FIRFU see Wilson as a potential future international; It would also make sense in the context of TOT going to LH, and both starting.
Mad Lad starts to show a return for the considerable funds invested in him and shows some leadership against his former team.
That it goes well for Doak at 10, enough for us to roll the dice and let him have at it. Same maybe for Lowry eventually because atm he's a luxury back 3 player in a team that can't afford them. He's also unconvincing as either a wing or15.
That we leave everything on the pitch and make sure they've been in a game for 80 mins. And we aren't humiliated.

The gulf between us and the rest of the top 8 is big imo. If we finish top 8, I'd take that. EPCR qualification and at least 1 playoff would be what I'd take in a heartbeat
Just remember that a Top 8 finish whilst getting you into the playoffs doesn't automatically secure Champions Cup rugby. In theory it is 6th + the winners of the two European trophies assuming both won by URC sides who finish outside the league qualification positions.

In reality there is a chance 7th will be needed as the Challenge Cup is URC heavy with half the remaining sides in the competition from the league. Sharks for example have Zebre in Durban next weekend and then a possible rematch of today's game v Edinburgh in QF. They do have to play a "home" semi final in Europe.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:What do we feel is an acceptable outcome from today's game. I really can't see an LBP here.

Catch, pass, tackle, run etc. no loopy forward passes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'd like to see doak challenge the defensive line a bit. This is the hardest part for a ten but is the best way to create line breaks. He is used to not taking ball to contact and will have to risk getting hit late. Will his temperament allow this? The jury is out on my book, but I sincerely hope he embraces the challenge.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:I'd like to see doak challenge the defensive line a bit. This is the hardest part for a ten but is the best way to create line breaks. He is used to not taking ball to contact and will have to risk getting hit late. Will his temperament allow this? The jury is out on my book, but I sincerely hope he embraces the challenge.
At least he won't arrive at a ruck, point at something, moan at the ref, swear at a team mate, dummy a box kick, then decide to pass....
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

We are leading 0-7 after 9mins and are on top🙈
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hilarious restart from ML.

Decent ten minutes.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I see we still don't contest Garryowens...
Lot of poor handling from both sides. Maybe today is one of Libbocks catastrophic games he has occasionally
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

Kitshoff is a liability at scrum time. What is he doing?